ADVERTISEMENT

McMurphy Many Inaccuracies -- Where is the police report he accessed before it was sealed

Here is link to Zach Smith's attorney discussing many of the facts. https://www.koffellaw.com/columbus-...rney-brad-koffel-discusses-the-zach-smith-ca/

He says that the recent Civil Protection Order was grounded on Criminal Trespass and that CS's affidavit did not describe criminal trespass. ZS was privileged, according to him, to drop their child off when CS was not at the agreed place. He did not strike anyone prior to the Order being issued.

He also discusses the 2009 incident. Says that ZS was caught cheating and that CS attacked ZS and that ZS was legally acting in self-defense. Says case dismissed after 1 day or 2 and that ZS was completely innocent.

No one has to believe a defense attorney, but at this point no one has even heard from Shelly Meyer, much less Meyer (in detail) or his superiors, yet many people want to hang Meyer.

Also, Koffel is the head of a law firm with 6 attorneys and most probably wouldn't go around making definitive statements in support of his client unless there were reasonable grounds to support them. If he consistently misconstrued the facts in the public, he would lose credibility and the ability to represent others. He and his firm have received many honors, and the National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys listed Koffel as one of the top 10 defense attorneys in Ohio. See link above.

Here is link to Zach Smith's attorney discussing many of the facts. https://www.koffellaw.com/columbus-...rney-brad-koffel-discusses-the-zach-smith-ca/

He says that the recent Civil Protection Order was grounded on Criminal Trespass and that CS's affidavit did not describe criminal trespass. ZS was privileged, according to him, to drop their child off when CS was not at the agreed place. He did not strike anyone prior to the Order being issued.

He also discusses the 2009 incident. Says that ZS was caught cheating and that CS attacked ZS and that ZS was legally acting in self-defense. Says case dismissed after 1 day or 2 and that ZS was completely innocent.

No one had to believe a defense attorney, but at this point no one has even heard from Shelly Meyer, much less Meyer or his superiors, yet many people want to hang Meyer.

Also, Koffel is the head of a law firm with 6 attorneys and most probably wouldn't go around making definitive statements in support of his client unless there were reasonable grounds to support them. If he consistently misconstrued the facts in the public, he would lose credibility and the ability to represent others. He and his firm have received many honors, and the National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys listed Koffel as one of the top 10 defense attorneys in Ohio. See link above.

We heard from Urban. He lied about it on Big Ten press day and then he lied about his lying in that lawyer's statement. He has very little credibility.

No one has to believe a defense attorney, but at this point no one has even heard from Shelly Meyer, much less Meyer (in detail) or his superiors, yet many people want to hang Meyer.

In case you haven’t noticed from the PSU case, lawyers and judges and former heads of FBI aren’t the most righteous and trustworthy individuals.

I believe the response to that would be that ZS did not have the right to go to the house, but did have the right to go near the house and let the kids walk, or simply take the kids back home with him

PSU case, lawyers and judges and former heads of FBI aren’t the most righteous and trustworthy individuals.

If that is the case, you check the accuracy of Koffel's statements. You don't just rely on McMurphy.

OK. What about Shelly. What about his superiors. His duty was to report to them.
They have LOIC.
That means death penalty
They knowingly and intentionally lied and covered up to protect their football brand.
You know the drill
You know the penalties
Man up and admit you deserve all the wrath of hell thrown at OSU

I believe the response to that would be that ZS did not have the right to go to the house, but did have the right to go near the house

According to Koffel, who has 25 years experience, Zach did have the right to be there. He knows more than you or me. He read the affidavit of CS. If it is disputed, other Ohio criminal lawyers can weigh in.

According to Koffel, who has 25 years experience, Zach did have the right to be there. He knows more than you or me. He read the affidavit of CS. If it is disputed, other Ohio criminal lawyers can weigh in.
If the glove doesn't fit you must acquit. A very respected lawyer said that so I'm all in on the not guilty train.

When one is on trial with the court of public opinion, facts are irrelevant. Keep asking us for proof, statements, quotes. We've been down this road. It doesn't matter.

OK. What about Shelly. What about his superiors. His duty was to report to them.

You want Urban to get off on technicality. Yes it’s his wife’s fault.

He knew about Smith in 2015 and he knew about Smith in 2009. He’s Urban Meyer. He doesn’t need anyone else to tell him or give him permission to fire someone on his staff. Or just don’t renew his contract. Or did Zach’s grandfather ask really nicely?

Reactions: Judge Smails
I posted this in the 14 day thread. The head of the investigative committee is 90 year old Jo Anne Davidson. I'll bet they have quite a time discussing text messages and emails.

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: Cosmos
You want Urban to get off on technicality. Yes it’s his wife’s fault.

He knew about Smith in 2015 and he knew about Smith in 2009. He’s Urban Meyer. He doesn’t need anyone else to tell him or give him permission to fire someone on his staff. Or just don’t renew his contract. Or did Zach’s grandfather ask really nicely?
This.... No matter how you slice it Urban looks like a complete sleeze. He has "respect women" in huge letters in his locker room and calls it one of his 5 core values. After 2009 and again in 2015 he knew this man was a lowlife and kept him on staff. Then at B1G media days he lies and goes further saying something like i don't know what kind of person would make something like that up. Well UM is that type of person...He also has a terrible track record of looking the other way at problems while at Florida. That's OSU and his biggest problem, perception. IMO it's not about reporting and when he knew, it's OSU knowingly have a scumbag represent your school, sit in living rooms, and lead men...

I have no serious problem with that. That is different than kicking the shit out of your wife. If we are getting into mental abuse, it is also possible that CS mentally abused ZS in that she filed mutiple complaints and most did not result in restraining orders. Look at the comments to the Lantern article by women.

Slightly later edit. One of the commenters to the Lantern article mentioned that ZS recently remarried, which could be an explanation for the timing of the recent events.

Don't look now counsellor but you are using the "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" defense. Such retribution will be difficult to prove in court.

I'll give you credit, however. Your argument has me wanting Urban back! tOSU has had its share of "problem" players in the past but the fact remains, you can't build a whole team out of them. So sooner than later Urbs is going to sit down in the living room of a recruit (and parents) who have a moral compass. They're going to ask the tough questions. When his answers prove unsatisfactory we'll gladly take those recruits. Could it happen as early as August 14th. We shall see.

Yes. I downloaded it on my computer a couple of days ago. The sanctions are very vaguely worded and are not precise to give OSU a wide range of discretion. (OSU's decision, not mine)
I don't see it as vague. There does not need to be an arrest made for Urban to be required to act. It states " 'known violation' shall mean a violation or allegation of a violation of Title IX that Coach is aware of or has reasonable cause is taking place or may have taken place.” There were certainly enough indicators, and actual allegations, that violations had taken place. Additionally, Meyer only needed reasonable cause, not proof or arrest documents. There is no way a reasonable person can read that clause and feel UM did his job.

Here is what I think Urban’s problem is, and always has been. He is a football coach who lives and breaths football. He wants to win football games. He is phenomenal at it. There is absolutely no denying that. I think he may well believe in his 5 core values. But he doesn’t really know how to enact them because his focus is football and winning football games. I don’t blame him for that, but part of being a college football head coach encompasses doing more than just winning football games.

It is the job of the Powell police and not Urban to sanction Zach Smith. He has been personally implicated in zero incidents of domestic violence. When Carlos Hyde (after provocation) gave a girl a slight shove in a bar, he was suspended for 3 games, which caused him to lose Heisman consideration. (He gained 1500 yards after missing the games)

Parents of recruits could care less about this incident in light of Urban's coaching of Marshon Lattimore, Denzel Ward and the Bosas. Go to the LSU Board and see how happy they are to have OSU's third string quarterback from last year. Meyer did a great job both coaching and advising Cardale Jones when Jones initially had poor academic motivations and completely changed. Any young person that gets to play for Meyer is lucky. (The same with respect to Franklin)

This is BS. POLICE are charged with gathering evidence to make an arrest. They don't make decisions as to firing and hiring. That is on UM. I think you may also find that many "parents of recruits" will find his dishonesty and hypocrisy concerning and look elsewhere for a coach to mentor their son. Yes, there will always be the Aaron Hernandez type parents who don't care, but many more will care....

Sorry, where are the young woman's parents? I would think that they would be more influential than hubbies grandpa.If it were my child......she is coming home with me, until we have cool heads and sort things out. Why do we automatically assign bad intentions to people?

This is one of the things that gives me pause with respect to crusifying Urban. Courtney's PARENTS begged Courtney to stay with Zach and not press charges. If that were my daughter, and the charges were legit, I would have her out of there ASAP.

Something is weird here. It sounds like Courtney and her parents were in this thing for the money "to support the kids", which is why THEY didn't want Zach to lose his job.

Shelly appeared to be one of the few people giving Courtney support. Shelly was being told one thing by Courtney, and Urban was being told something completely different by Zach. Courtney was telling Shelly her bruises were from being hit. Zach was telling Urban the bruises were from Courtnry hitting HIM, and him grabbing her to block her punches. It was basically a "he said she said". Shelly, unlike Courtney's parents, told Courtney to leave Zach. But Courtney didn't until they finally got a divorce.

In 2018, there is the violation of the court order after the divorce, and Zach gets fired. Now, all of a sudden, the sugar daddy's income (child support/alimony) is cut off, McMurphy gets a tip from an anonymous source, and the sh!t hits the fan. Hmmm. I wonder who that "anonymous source" is and who is in need of a new income?

I have a hunch that we are seeing only a very small, specifically selected, highly edited portion of the texts. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Courtney herself didn't beg Shelly to have Urban NOT fire Zach.

Urban appears to have reported it properly. What happened above him is still up to speculation. But I would guess that if he loses his job, it will be so voluntarily. He won't get fired. He had no legal control over what people above him did with his report.

Reactions: The Shelter
I have no serious problem with that. That is different than kicking the shit out of your wife. If we are getting into mental abuse, it is also possible that CS mentally abused ZS in that she filed mutiple complaints and most did not result in restraining orders. Look at the comments to the Lantern article by women.

Slightly later edit. One of the commenters to the Lantern article mentioned that ZS recently remarried, which could be an explanation for the timing of the recent events.
Yes, the woman who was being physically abused and was reliant on ZS for financial support was abusive. You have crossed over to the dark side. BTW, the Lantern comments is not where I would go to support your case....

I find the discussion about he number of times Smith beat his wife and Smith’s salary troubling. Neither have anything to do with hard facts. Smith clearly physically abused his wife. The fact that it happened once, twice or ten times doesn’t really matter. There is no one on the planet that can convince me it was an accident, even if it happened just once.

The criminal aspect of this is a not the pertinent one to me. The fact is that Meyer will need to go in to the homes of 17-18 year old kids and will need to convince the kid’s parents that OSU is the best place for the kids and that OSU will make the kids good people in addition to good football players. At this point, Meyer’s ability to do that is greatly impaired, and rightly so.

The attempts to villify Smith’s wife are problematic. Smith threatened her and per his text messages put his hands on her. This is inexcusable no matter what the facts are. Trying to shift blame to her is pretty problematic.

I just don’t see how Meyer can speak to kids credibly at this point. He clearly lost a lot of credibility, which is pretty important when trying to court 17-18 year olds and their parents.

OJ had a hell of a lawyer too...all that tells me isn't someone is helping ZS pull out the big guns.

Reactions: Westcoast24
IF Zach was 'defending himself' in 2009 - as he claims - why did he not call the police? You can call the police and not have the other person charged - they may be removed from the premise, or they will let you leave and ensure the other party does not follow. You DO call the police to your 'injuries' are documented (there would be bruising if she hit him), however he did not call the police and she it the one with documented injuries (he is guilty). Follow that up with all the texted images - and no images of his injuries. I've not seen the images of her injuries - and I'm not an injury expert, but those who are can tell if an injury is from self-defense or not. Zach is MUCH larger than Courtney - all he had to do was walk the 'f' away, he did not.

I found an article that mentions only 2009 and 2015 incidents where Smith physically attacked his wife. See https://www.thelantern.com/2018/08/...pattern-of-domestic-cases-against-zach-smith/ From what I have so far, I only know of two. You are welcome to add to the article's incidents.

Merriam defines habitual as "resorted to on a regular basis" You were obviously lynching and piling on with reference to "habitually kicks the shit out of his wife." unless you can add to the two incidents.

Thanks for that definition. You are habitually annoying.

You do realize that attorneys (especially defense attorneys) are paid to lie for a living. Their only goal is to obfuscate and create confusion!!! Your argument that Koffel is one of the top attorneys in Ohio doesn't mean he is a good person, it means he is better than most at what lawyers are paid to do!!

This is one of the things that gives me pause with respect to crusifying Urban. Courtney's PARENTS begged Courtney to stay with Zach and not press charges. If that were my daughter, and the charges were legit, I would have her out of there ASAP.

Something is weird here. It sounds like Courtney and her parents were in this thing for the money "to support the kids", which is why THEY didn't want Zach to lose his job.

Shelly appeared to be one of the few people giving Courtney support. Shelly was being told one thing by Courtney, and Urban was being told something completely different by Zach. Courtney was telling Shelly her bruises were from being hit. Zach was telling Urban the bruises were from Courtnry hitting HIM, and him grabbing her to block her punches. It was basically a "he said she said". Shelly, unlike Courtney's parents, told Courtney to leave Zach. But Courtney didn't until they finally got a divorce.

In 2018, there is the violation of the court order after the divorce, and Zach gets fired. Now, all of a sudden, the sugar daddy's income (child support/alimony) is cut off, McMurphy gets a tip from an anonymous source, and the sh!t hits the fan. Hmmm. I wonder who that "anonymous source" is and who is in need of a new income?

I have a hunch that we are seeing only a very small, specifically selected, highly edited portion of the texts. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Courtney herself didn't beg Shelly to have Urban NOT fire Zach.

Urban appears to have reported it properly. What happened above him is still up to speculation. But I would guess that if he loses his job, it will be so voluntarily. He won't get fired. He had no legal control over what people above him did with his report.
Help me out because maybe I missed the critical detail - what evidence is there that suggests Urban reported anything?

Help me out because maybe I missed the critical detail - what evidence is there that suggests Urban reported anything?
The AD says he did. The AD also said that he was aware of the reports as well.

If it's Paterno's job to police a guy who was already retired for a number of years, seems only fair that Meyer should be policing a guy who was still working.

It's more than that. If it's Paterno's job to police a guy who was already retired who allegedly assaulted someone unknown to Paterno who did not discuss the incident to Paterno's wife, then it seems only fair Meyer should be policing a guy who was still working who allegedly assaulted someone well known to Meyer who discussed the incident with Meyer's wife.

Lying to the press is not a crime although it is not the right thing to do. Unfortunately, virtually everyone lies, including presidential candidates, newspapers and reporters. Everyone makes mistakes, which includes the telling of lies. The lie that Meyer almost certainly told should not be grounds for termination.

This is very weak. Lying is wrong no matter who is doing it.

Their only goal is to obfuscate and create confusion!!! Your argument that Koffel is one of the top attorneys in Ohio doesn't mean he is a good person,

My point is not in any way related to what you say. My point is that is that he has a very cold-blooded, rational and practical reason to have reasonable grounds for what he says: money.

If he is a blowhard and makes up highly inaccurate stuff about his client he loses credibility with prosecutors and with the public. Both of these will cost him money. Particularly, he needs credibility with prosecutors, or everything he does will take twice as long and the results will be worse for his clients.

Ohio State fans think Zach Smith is the real victim because of "PC Culture". Before this took hold, you could smack a broad around a little if she got lippy.

Wait a second he lost his job might. now be unemployable due to PC culture and
[ Follow Ups ] [ O-Zone Forum ]

By OSU94 on 11:11:44 08/06/18

the Judge will keep his alimony and child support at his current pay scale.

And he might be completely innocent of DV and strictly married the wrong women.

Domestic courts will care less about his present earning.

Sounds to me that his life has been seriously impacted.

bull4.jpg

AveUser is right. Urban said he reported it through "the proper channels" in his statement, and we know for a fact that Gene Smith called Zach in 2015 and had him come back to Columbus from a recruiting trip to talk to him about it. According to Zach, Gene told him "Zach, you need to get on the next plane home. Your ex-wife is accusing of you abuse.’”

Zach himself says that Urban told him both in 2009 and 2015 “I swear to God, Zach, if I found out you hit her, you’re done.”

Sounds like a "he said, she said" with Shelly and Urban in the middle. Shelly, unlike Courtney's own parents, told Courtney to leave if it was so bad. Courtney refused until she finally got what she wanted out of the divorce settlement.

Once Zach violated the trespass agreement after the divorce by dropping the kids off at Courtney's house, he was fired. When Courtney realized that the $300,000 dollar per year bank supporting the child support/alimony funnel was shut off, it appears Courtney made sure the sh!t hit the fan.

No one comes out of this looking good, but it appears that Urban may be in the LEAST amount of hot water.

Reactions: dailybuck777
Would like to know where you saw that -- in particular that Meyer reported it to the AD.
sorry....Zack Smith said that the AD was aware of the 2015 event. It doesn't say Meyer reported it but does say Gene Smith called Zack Smith about it when ZS was on a recruiting trip.

“I found out about the allegation [in October 2015] because I was out recruiting on a bye week. Gene Smith called me and said your ex-wife is accusing of you abuse,” Smith told host Matt McCoy. “He said I had to be on the next flight home [from an open week recruiting trip]”

When pressed, Zach Smith said he believes the police notified the university.

“I don't know this for a fact, but I believe the Powell Police Department contacted Ohio State—not Urban, but the university.”​

ADVERTISEMENT