ADVERTISEMENT

McMurphy Many Inaccuracies -- Where is the police report he accessed before it was sealed

Because he was Earle Bruce's grandson. There was really no football reason (in terms of trying to win) to hire him or protect him.

"An individual need not be charged with or convicted of a criminal offense to be found responsible for domestic violence pursuant to this policy."

Yes, there are University rules that go beyond the misdemeanor violation that may have occurred. The question is what the penalty should be if it was violated. Nowhere does it state what the penalty should be. To me, so far, anything that Meyer has done is way below the threshold of firing.

To show how extreme that could be. Shelly Meyer is on the nursing faculty and is covered by the same policy. Almost certainly, she has more knowledge than Urban. Should she be fired?

Absolutely.

Lying to the press is not a crime although it is not the right thing to do. Unfortunately, virtually everyone lies, including presidential candidates, newspapers and reporters. Everyone makes mistakes, which includes the telling of lies. The lie that Meyer almost certainly told should not be grounds for termination.

So far as I know, there were 3 or 4 instances and none after 2015. I wouldn't call that habitual. Would add that assuming I am right about none after 2015, CS benefited from ZS making about $300,000 per year. His income could now plummet to $20,000 per year, reducing the child support and potentially alimony that he can pay.

You are doing a lot of leg work for a guy who could just have came here and said "I enjoy winning and I don't really think OSU should part ways with Urban Meyer over this."

But hey, you do you.

As far as I know there were no incidents of violence after 2015--which to some extent could support keeping ZS on. His family benefited from his salary. You are right about your general point, and ZS is not a good example for young players. On the other hand, Meyer didn't have a corrupt reason for hiring him or keeping him on.

And that’s on Urban for keeping him on staff. Corrupt reason or not, he willingly kept a guy he knew to beat his wife on staff. You don’t keep people on your staff just because their family will benefit from that persons salary. That’s weak leadership.
There is a lot to this that is not known and very intriguing to me. I think the most intriguing is the involvement of Earl Bruce and Urban’s spiritual advisor in the ‘09 incident, talking Smith’s wife out of pressing charges. That has some serious potential to be really bad for Urban.

Reactions: Gnat91
Lying to the press is not a crime although it is not the right thing to do. Unfortunately, virtually everyone lies, including presidential candidates, newspapers and reporters. Everyone makes mistakes, which includes the telling of lies. The lie that Meyer almost certainly told should not be grounds for termination.

it won't be but knowing about 2009 and helping cover it up [if he did] then rehiring the guy, with knowledge of 2015 and keeping him around AND the lying will be a tough one to withstand

Reactions: locopsu
As far as I know there were no incidents of violence after 2015--which to some extent could support keeping ZS on. His family benefited from his salary. You are right about your general point, and ZS is not a good example for young players. On the other hand, Meyer didn't have a corrupt reason for hiring him or keeping him on.
Are you serious? Really? One incident of wife beating and he's off my staff. He can rehabilitate somewhere else and not anywhere near my team.

“it’s not like he killed the president

So far as I know, there were 3 or 4 instances and none after 2015. I wouldn't call that habitual. Would add that assuming I am right about none after 2015, CS benefited from ZS making about $300,000 per year. His income could now plummet to $20,000 per year, reducing the child support and potentially alimony that he can pay.
So when does it become "habitual" in your book? Four times is not enough? How about five? Fifty?
Urbs chose to bring Smith to OSU knowing he had the incident in 2009. That by itself violated the policy. Having his "personal advisor" convince her to not press charges is just another nail in his coffin. For whatever reason, Meyer repeatedly made very poor choices, choices that enabled Smith to earn six figures from OSU while abusing his wife. Meyer should not get a free pass.

Reactions: PSUPride1
Even if Meyer stays his reputation is tarnished. When you stand up and lie at a major media event it is a bad look that other coaches will use in living rooms all across the country along with the perception or reality that he covered up domestic violence. I agree that before Meyer is tarred and feathered more facts need to come out and there shouldn’t be a rush to judgement. Having said that as great of a coach as he is regardless of how this plays out it may be time to go in another direction.

Last edited:
es, there are University rules that go beyond the misdemeanor violation that may have occurred. The question is what the penalty should be if it was violated. Nowhere does it state what the penalty should be. To me, so far, anything that Meyer has done is way below the threshold of firing.
Domestic violence is covered by the university's sexual misconduct policy. That policy states sexual misconduct by employees must be reported to the OHR's deputy Title IX coordinator. I'll go on a limb and say that never happened and no such required documentation exists. Don't fret, the feds Title IX investigation should clear this all up.

The penalties and process are available to anyone that actually has a desire to find it by searching for the university's policy 1.15.

Reactions: Cosmos
If Meyer actively sought to have the report buried, he should be fired.
Let me ask you something you obviously can't answer (unless you're much closer to the situation then you let on), but here goes.
If this Hiram guy - life coach- and Coach/grandpa Bruce - closest person to me other than my father - go to Mrs. Smith in a Soprano-like strong arming, how is that not on meyer? I find it hard to believe the 2 men closest to meyer did this and meyer didn't know.
And, if meyer found out after-the-fact, and was not pleased with that visit, how does he still have Hiram as his life coach and speak so highly of Bruce?

OL

I don’t care one way or the other about Urban Meyer. I do know this. ONE TIME is one time to many when it comes to putting one’s hands on a woman. Three or four times is habitual.

They both knew about 2015 and they both elected to keep Zach coaching. And Urban lied about it.
Hey, that renewed his contract in 2018 and gave him a $40000 raise according to a Columbus newspaper story

It wasn't Joe's job to police a retired ex-coach but everyone said it was in 2011. Joe reported one allegation brought to his attention and followed up with witness and for his efforts he's known as a ped enabler.
Buckeye fans along with the rest of this country were brutal to Joe and anything Penn State.
I don't believe Zach Smith at all and there are text messages where he admits to strangling his wife.
Urban vociferously lied about knowing he had a wife beater on his staff and the big question is why. No one is saying Urban needs to police his coaches. However everyone is saying he shouldn't have a wife beater on his staff and then blatantly lie about the abuse to the media.
If Urban will lie about this situation what else will he lie about. You Bucks have a good program but you need to decide if you're going to have standards. You're acting more and more like you belong in the sec
The difference here is that OSU is insulating and backing urban, where PSU turned on Paterno

None after 2015. It isn’t a coincidence that the abuse stopped after she filed for divorce. Also, I doubt a judge will reduce your alimony because you lose your job. That’s on you to find adequate income to keep your children at the lifestyle they are accustomed to.

Reactions: doc69 and Cosmos
None after 2015. It isn’t a coincidence that the abuse stopped after she filed for divorce. Also, I doubt a judge will reduce your alimony because you lose your job. That’s on you to find adequate income to keep your children at the lifestyle they are accustomed to.
Good luck, however, getting blood from a stone.

Reactions: dailybuck777
He has significant evidence to suggest it was covered up. Who would do this? If Meyer simply lied that would be one thing. But if there was a cover-up and he lied, that would make him a coconspirator. The paper trail had better back Meyer and the ad, including a title IX report. If not, they are both toast. Interesting that Meyer is releasing his own press that seems to blame others (I did what I was supposed to do). And if they both go down, if they get less of a penalty then PSU holy hell should be brought.[/QUOTE I agree with you wholeheartedly but there is no way Ohio State will get the same penalties that were administered to us. No way.

I don't think McMurphy has any inaccuracies. Just he doesn't have the whole picture yet. Or hasn't released it.

The tOSU brand is tarnished so long as Urban is retained. He comes into your living room to recruit your son. Would you believe him.

Reactions: Aloha T and Gnat91

I would call it serial.
No amount of money is worth staying in an abusive relationship. Consider the potentially bad influence it is having on their son. We don't want him growing up like dad.

Reactions: lilwashnitfan
The tOSU brand is tarnished so long as Urban is retained. He comes into your living room to recruit your son. Would you believe him.
There is no way in hell Urban is walking into a recruit's house and sitting down with the kids mom . .That ship has sailed ..He's pretty much done as a recruiter . That's why I think Smith will still have a job and Urbs will get sent packing. .

Reactions: Cosmos
Man, this is a desperate search for the smoking gun that exonerates UM. We here have been ther and Tom McAndrew at one point even alluded to one........but it never materialized. PSU had to deal with Freeh, the OSU has to deal with this McMurphy guy.

What's your point here? Are you suggesting it's okay to get physical with your spouse as long as it isn't too often. Are you saying if your spouse is making a good living and you benefit from it, you should just take your beatings or at least shut up about it up?

Last edited:
I have been married 24 years, been through many incidents that experts predicted would kill a marriage. Have had bad arguments, NEVER laid a hand on her or she on me. If she was so abusive he should have documented it in 2009, the fact that Urban hired him is on him, then kept him on staff after a history of abuse is on him.

Reading your original post a hearing interviews and reading news publications, situation was bad, does not excuse the physical way he treated his wife, IMO. Urban is no saint, school screwed up, let’s see what happens.

FYI, think he is a great recruiter and motivator, no so sure about a great coach.

Then why fire him? It implies CYA. If so, then what are they covering?

Reactions: Westcoast24
There is no way in hell Urban is walking into a recruit's house and sitting down with the kids mom . .That ship has sailed ..He's pretty much done as a recruiter . That's why I think Smith will still have a job and Urbs will get sent packing. .

^^ Exactly! Urbs is toast. It behooves tOSU to take its knocks and move on from this.

Reactions: Gnat91
Urban Meyer gained no competitive advantage by continuing the employment of Zach Smith. He didn't need to fire him, he simply should not have supported having his contract renewed. However, it isn't like Meyer was the only person who knew of Zach and Courtney's toxic relationship. Gene Smith was in the loop.
Urban curiously took the bait at media day and lied about ZS. He should be more savvy than that. Football coaches are loyal to a fault. This one bit him in the ass. It doesn't make him a bad guy. He has daughters of his own.
He will likely be fined for his lie, but I can't see him losing his job over this.
I'm the biggest JVP fan in the world. But, I can't wish what happened to him on others. Remember, it was PSU own BOT that assassinated Joe. Everyone else pecked away at the carcass.

Zach Smith was a "good recruiter" while on Meyer's staff at Florida and Ohio State. By continuing his employment, he was directly responsible for the recruitment and development of some highly rated players. He. most certainly contributed to on the field competitive advantage at both institutions. His employment proves lack of institutional control.

The Ohio State administration must be thinking "one more expensive kiss off, who do you think I am?"

Let me ask you something you obviously can't answer (unless you're much closer to the situation then you let on), but here goes.
If this Hiram guy - life coach- and Coach/grandpa Bruce - closest person to me other than my father - go to Mrs. Smith in a Soprano-like strong arming, how is that not on meyer? I find it hard to believe the 2 men closest to meyer did this and meyer didn't know.
And, if meyer found out after-the-fact, and was not pleased with that visit, how does he still have Hiram as his life coach and speak so highly of Bruce?

OL

Meyer also claims that he told Smith that if he hit his wife, he would fire him. Around the same time, Ms. Meyer was getting texts from the victim claiming that Smith was physically abusing her. To add context, Meyer seemed to indicate that he has his wife had become involved with the Smiths after the '09 allegations trying to help them in a troubled young marriage. That would be consistent with the text exchanges between the two women. If Urban is to be believed, he and his wife never discussed what they had been told about the Smith's relationship in 2015. If they had, the claims of physical abuse that Mrs. Meyer had received should have at least provoked Urban to dig further and decide if he should follow through and fire Smith. According to Urban, none of that happened, he just told his superiors at the university, fulfilling his legal obligation. It seems that the Meyers abruptly changed from having a relationship that significantly exceeded that of boss/subordinate with the Smiths to nothing more than that. UM was no longer the leader helping a young couple with whom he had a long family relationship, he was the professional supervisor who knew little of the Smith's relationship, wasn't involved in their personal life, and did what he was contractually obliged to do.

Last edited:
Are you serious? Really? One incident of wife beating and he's off my staff. He can rehabilitate somewhere else and not anywhere near my team.

Well, how about if that one-time incident involved him drunk and bringing your secretary back late at night while his wife is pregnant on their first anniversary?:confused:

Last edited:
Their culture disgusts me.
Here's a little history with me living here in a great state where many fans are decent, but waaay too many are complete assbags.

Former fellow teacher and ohowIhate alum. Sandusky scandal breaks. We discuss and I point out that Joe did everything he legally and that university procedures called for him to do.
Of course, douche' rocket tells me - morally, JoePa should have done more. What would you be saying if that was your son in the shower?
Fast forward. I basically throw large hand fulls of poop at him via email.
My final line was....suburban says he followed all protocol and did what he was legally bound to do. That's great, but he could have done more. Meyer morally was bound to do more. I then ask him what he would do if it was his daughter.
Of course, he states oscar meyer did not watch Mrs. Smith walking into the house to be assaulted like Joe watched kids being paraded through the Lasch building to be abused.
It sure as heck will not be a pleasant discussion when we come face to face. In a town of 4,500, that is bound to happen.

After that long rambling, YES, I agree with you, Bob. The culture at coverup U disgusts me.

OL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT