ADVERTISEMENT

McMurphy Many Inaccuracies -- Where is the police report he accessed before it was sealed

dailybuck777

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2018
This Ohio lawyer breaks down into detail the many inaccuracies and probable deceptions of Brett McMurphy. Starting off with his statement prior to the Media Day that: "Zach Smith was "arrested" for "felony counts of domestic violence and felonious assault against Courtney Smith." In fact Smith was not arrested and under the law could not be charged with a felony. See-- reddit.com/r/OhioStateFootball/comments/94t19c/crosspost_from_rcfb_a_lawyers_deep_dive_into/ (to avoid the whole post being included into mine I have cut out https:www -- which can be added to get the link)

The lawyer summarized some of the mistakes as follows: "To state it as short as possible: McMurphy went from "arrest" on 07/23/2018, to "investigated and arrested" on 07/24/2018, to "investigated" on 07/30/2018, to "allegations" on 08/01/2018. "

The lawyer also states that McMurphy should release the Powell police report. (Minor detail. Powell is in Delaware County, which is different from Franklin County where Columbus is). I agree 100%. It is very suspicious that McMurphy is reporting on many negative matters (legitimately so), but not presenting the whole story. If the police report helped Courtney Smith, he would almost certainly have published it by now. Currently, it is sealed under the phony contention by Powell that it is protecting the identity of the accused.

My position is that it should not be Meyer's job to be a police officer or to investigate the many tangential matters that could affect his players or staff. In particular, those transgressions that are only characterized as misdemeanors. Meyer is responsible for about 100 young men and for coaching a football team that is watched by millions on Saturdays. The first responsibility is on the police and if they failed, there heads should roll first. On the other hand, if Meyer intervened to help Z Smith and to get the charges buried, he deserves whatever he gets, and I would support his firing.

To the extent that there are responses to this post, I will be gone until about 9 this evening.

The funny thing about that. McMurphy could have been lying his ass off about having proof of anything .But Urbs jumped and we now know Urban knew and Gene Smith knew . and now the entire nation is going to watch a death match between the two. Winner keeps his job. And the big loser in this is THE Ohio state university, which will forever have a black eye.. .No pun intended.

Last edited:
And the big lose in this is THE Ohio state university, which will forever have a black eye.

Maybe to you, but not to me. If OSU keeps Meyer, it is standing up to political correctness. It should not be Meyer's job to second guess the police.

Reactions: RussianEagle
hi-i-dont-care-thanks-tshirt-preview.png

Reactions: ouirpsu
Why was ZS even hired or on the staff after 2015????

..."the following definitions apply to all members of the university community (faculty, staff, students, student employees, graduate associates, appointees, volunteers), vendors, and visitors under University Policy 1.15."

"Domestic Violence – Conduct that would meet the definition of a felony or misdemeanor crime of violence committed by the complainant’s current or former spouse or intimate partner, a person with whom the complainant shares a child in common, a person who is or has cohabitated with the complainant as a spouse or intimate partner, an individual similarly situated to a spouse under domestic or family violence law, or anyone else protected under the domestic or family violence law of the jurisdiction in which the offense occurred. An individual need not be charged with or convicted of a criminal offense to be found responsible for domestic violence pursuant to this policy."

Let me rephrase my last post . ACCORDING to Urbs, Gene Smith knew. I don't know what Smith thinks about that but one thing is certain. One of the two is losing his job.

Why was ZS even hired or on the staff after 2015????

Because he was Earle Bruce's grandson. There was really no football reason (in terms of trying to win) to hire him or protect him.

"An individual need not be charged with or convicted of a criminal offense to be found responsible for domestic violence pursuant to this policy."

Yes, there are University rules that go beyond the misdemeanor violation that may have occurred. The question is what the penalty should be if it was violated. Nowhere does it state what the penalty should be. To me, so far, anything that Meyer has done is way below the threshold of firing.

To show how extreme that could be. Shelly Meyer is on the nursing faculty and is covered by the same policy. Almost certainly, she has more knowledge than Urban. Should she be fired?

And Urban lied about it.

Lying to the press is not a crime although it is not the right thing to do. Unfortunately, virtually everyone lies, including presidential candidates, newspapers and reporters. Everyone makes mistakes, which includes the telling of lies. The lie that Meyer almost certainly told should not be grounds for termination.

Reactions: RussianEagle
Lying to the press is not a crime although it is not the right thing to do. Unfortunately, virtually everyone lies, including presidential candidates, newspapers and reporters. Everyone makes mistakes, which includes the telling of lies. The lie that Meyer almost certainly told should not be grounds for termination.

As my father told me when I was a teenager, its always better to tell the truth and accept the consequences. If you lie once, you are a liar.

Urban Meyer gained no competitive advantage by continuing the employment of Zach Smith. He didn't need to fire him, he simply should not have supported having his contract renewed. However, it isn't like Meyer was the only person who knew of Zach and Courtney's toxic relationship. Gene Smith was in the loop.
Urban curiously took the bait at media day and lied about ZS. He should be more savvy than that. Football coaches are loyal to a fault. This one bit him in the ass. It doesn't make him a bad guy. He has daughters of his own.
He will likely be fined for his lie, but I can't see him losing his job over this.
I'm the biggest JVP fan in the world. But, I can't wish what happened to him on others. Remember, it was PSU own BOT that assassinated Joe. Everyone else pecked away at the carcass.

Coaches lie all the time to the media. About game plans, injury reports, etc... .What you shouldn't do is lie about having someone on your staff that habitually kicks the shit out of his wife. That's kind of a big deal.

Coaches lie all the time to the media. About game plans, injury reports, etc... .What you shouldn't do is lie about having someone on your staff that habitually kicks the shit out of his wife. That's kind of a big deal.

He didnt kick her, he just choked her and threw her against the wall when she was pregnant......

Reactions: Cosmos
staff that habitually kicks the shit out of his wife.

So far as I know, there were 3 or 4 instances and none after 2015. I wouldn't call that habitual. Would add that assuming I am right about none after 2015, CS benefited from ZS making about $300,000 per year. His income could now plummet to $20,000 per year, reducing the child support and potentially alimony that he can pay.

So far as I know, there were 3 or 4 instances and none after 2015. I wouldn't call that habitual. Would add that assuming I am right about none after 2015, CS benefited from ZS making about $300,000 per year. His income could now plummet to $20,000 per year, reducing the child support and potentially alimony that he can pay.

No, going back to 2009, I think the documented number is close to a bakers dozen.

As I stated earlier, I don't think he should be fired......if what we have are all the facts. Its not a good look for Ohio State in terms of keeping the guy since 2015 etc. however. No university can be pleased with scrutiny like this, esp. in light of this wrestling mess.

Urban knew about the domestic abuse (again) from 2015 through his wife’s and Courtney’s text messages. Why the hell is he still on the staff after that?

Last edited:
This Ohio lawyer breaks down into detail the many inaccuracies and probable deceptions of Brett McMurphy. Starting off with his statement prior to the Media Day that: "Zach Smith was "arrested" for "felony counts of domestic violence and felonious assault against Courtney Smith." In fact Smith was not arrested and under the law could not be charged with a felony. See-- reddit.com/r/OhioStateFootball/comments/94t19c/crosspost_from_rcfb_a_lawyers_deep_dive_into/ (to avoid the whole post being included into mine I have cut out https:www -- which can be added to get the link)

The lawyer summarized some of the mistakes as follows: "To state it as short as possible: McMurphy went from "arrest" on 07/23/2018, to "investigated and arrested" on 07/24/2018, to "investigated" on 07/30/2018, to "allegations" on 08/01/2018. "

The lawyer also states that McMurphy should release the Powell police report. (Minor detail. Powell is in Delaware County, which is different from Franklin County where Columbus is). I agree 100%. It is very suspicious that McMurphy is reporting on many negative matters (legitimately so), but not presenting the whole story. If the police report helped Courtney Smith, he would almost certainly have published it by now. Currently, it is sealed under the phony contention by Powell that it is protecting the identity of the accused.

My position is that it should not be Meyer's job to be a police officer or to investigate the many tangential matters that could affect his players or staff. In particular, those transgressions that are only characterized as misdemeanors. Meyer is responsible for about 100 young men and for coaching a football team that is watched by millions on Saturdays. The first responsibility is on the police and if they failed, there heads should roll first. On the other hand, if Meyer intervened to help Z Smith and to get the charges buried, he deserves whatever he gets, and I would support his firing.

To the extent that there are responses to this post, I will be gone until about 9 this evening.
Are you saying mcmurphy has the police report?

Why did Urban even fire him then?

Reactions: jemblue and Cosmos
The part I can't reconcile is Urban said it was not his intention to be "inaccurate"( btw " inaccurate" is such a weasal word for lying ) or mislead. It was exactly his intention to mislead! In his interview besides the numerous lies he told, the big one was when he said " if he had known he would have made a change " that's about as damming as it gets and I don't see how he can reconcile that statement with his pathetic press release on Friday afternoon.

It wasn't Joe's job to police a retired ex-coach but everyone said it was in 2011. Joe reported one allegation brought to his attention and followed up with witness and for his efforts he's known as a ped enabler.
Buckeye fans along with the rest of this country were brutal to Joe and anything Penn State.
I don't believe Zach Smith at all and there are text messages where he admits to strangling his wife.
Urban vociferously lied about knowing he had a wife beater on his staff and the big question is why. No one is saying Urban needs to police his coaches. However everyone is saying he shouldn't have a wife beater on his staff and then blatantly lie about the abuse to the media.
If Urban will lie about this situation what else will he lie about. You Bucks have a good program but you need to decide if you're going to have standards. You're acting more and more like you belong in the sec

They both knew about 2015 and they both elected to keep Zach coaching. And Urban lied about it.
That’s about where I’m at with it. Urban was made aware of at least two (2009 and 2015) incidents where a pretty reasonable suspicion existed that Smith abused his wife. On each occasion, he made the conscious choice to keep Smith on his staff. That was absolutely his choice to make, but it was absolutely an assumption of risk on Urban’s part that he’d look pretty bad if word got out that he employed a guy like Smith on his staff.

Now, Urban is facing the reputational consequences of his decisions to continue to employ someone like Smith. Is it enough to get him fired? I don’t know - but I think every bit of the reputational hit Urban is suffering from now is deserved.

Reactions: acg116
It should not be Meyer's job to second guess the police.

I actually agree with that. However, it should be Meyer’s job to try to build a staff with quality human beings, not have people on it because he wants to do a favor for one of the grandfathers. He knew about Smith’s physical abuse of his wife. He chose to keep him on staff, I assume as a favor to Bruce. It was a mistake on his part. It’s not Meyer’s job to second the police. But it is his job to build his own staff as he sees fit. He saw fit to keep a man on his staff who seemingly abused his wife on a fairly regular basis. Then he absolutely lied about it.
No matter how this whole thing shakes out, it looks really bad on Urban Meyer.

The media fans the flames in these situations and the media has in no manner fanned OSU as they did PSU in 2011/2012 and through today by mentioning Sandusky at each sporting event in some manner incl. the Rose Bowl. When we see espin scroll OSU SCANDAL for several months we will know its real, until then its another passed over disaster of lack of institutional control with their multiple hundreds of athlete abuse by doctor over decades, a swim coach/trainer (can't remember as there are so many incidents now) abusing athletes and now Urban lying about Smith in 2015, then suddenly remembering to correct his previous unprepared statement...lol.

With all that low hanging fruit Emmert and Delany should have staff camped out in Columbus or buying office space for the long haul because it should be a very long and interesting investigation since the tip of the iceberg has been exposed. A doctored police report is another smoking gun, keep it coming folks, it's becoming breathtakingly interesting now as we await a daily exposure of more and more corruption.

When completed and the jail terms, fines, bowl bans, postseason penalties, scholarship reductions, shaming by media incl. Big10 Network types and terminations the office space can be sold so more can be purchased in East Lansing, MI for a rinse and repeat. They have not received precedent nor has OSU at this point. Precedent is the most important factor in law and regulation as we constantly hear, let's have at it Delaney, Emmert, Federal Legal Representatives. We don't want to slight our conference brethren.

I hope UM is reinstated and backed by the university in full (absent the handling of the B10 presser). Once this happens, Paterno’s handling of the Sandusky situation becomes largely immune from criticism.

I actually agree with that. However, it should be Meyer’s job to try to build a staff with quality human beings, not have people on it because he wants to do a favor for one of the grandfathers. He knew about Smith’s physical abuse of his wife. He chose to keep him on staff, I assume as a favor to Bruce. It was a mistake on his part. It’s not Meyer’s job to second the police. But it is his job to build his own staff as he sees fit. He saw fit to keep a man on his staff who seemingly abused his wife on a fairly regular basis. Then he absolutely lied about it.
No matter how this whole thing shakes out, it looks really bad on Urban Meyer.
I agree as well. However there is enough evidence to suggest somebody altered the police reports. Why? It is possible they were coerced. More investigation is necessary.

He saw fit to keep a man on his staff who seemingly abused his wife on a fairly regular basis. Then he absolutely lied about it.

As far as I know there were no incidents of violence after 2015--which to some extent could support keeping ZS on. His family benefited from his salary. You are right about your general point, and ZS is not a good example for young players. On the other hand, Meyer didn't have a corrupt reason for hiring him or keeping him on.

More investigation is necessary.
100% agree. If Meyer actively sought to have the report buried, he should be fired.

If there was evidence of that, though, McMurphy, who seems to have the report would have probably published it. The lawyer who wrote the report just assumed that McMurphy had it -- most probably because of the one alteration that has already been reported.

No offense, my friend, but you're getting lost in the weeds. Only two things really matter: 1)Meyer lied thru his teeth at the B1G Media days presser, and only made it worse with that half-assed, Clintonian parsing in his subsequent "statement", and 2)He kept a serial wife beater on his staff for years, presumably because the guy helped him win football games. Face it...Urbs is now damaged goods...as is the program if they keep him on.

As far as I know there were no incidents of violence after 2015--which to some extent could support keeping ZS on. His family benefited from his salary. You are right about your general point, and ZS is not a good example for young players. On the other hand, Meyer didn't have a corrupt reason for hiring him or keeping him on.

I am not 100% sure, but I think there are nice instances of domestic violence from 2015 and beyond.

So why did Urban fire him

Nice double standard. Did you as vehemently make the same argument in defense of Paterno?

Reactions: PSUer1989
100% agree. If Meyer actively sought to have the report buried, he should be fired.

If there was evidence of that, though, McMurphy, who seems to have the report would have probably published it. The lawyer who wrote the report just assumed that McMurphy had it -- most probably because of the one alteration that has already been reported.
He has significant evidence to suggest it was covered up. Who would do this? If Meyer simply lied that would be one thing. But if there was a cover-up and he lied, that would make him a coconspirator. The paper trail had better back Meyer and the ad, including a title IX report. If not, they are both toast. Interesting that Meyer is releasing his own press that seems to blame others (I did what I was supposed to do). And if they both go down, if they get less of a penalty then PSU holy hell should be brought.

Reactions: Cosmos
ADVERTISEMENT