ADVERTISEMENT

McMullan new asst coach at Penn

Good for the mighty Quakers (RIP to an old classmate a few years behind, Beau Biden):

Come, all ye loyal classmen now,
In hall and campus through,
Lift up your hearts and voices for
The royal Red and Blue.
Fair Harvard has her crimson,
Old Yale her colors too,
But for dear old Pennsylvania,
We wear the Red and Blue.

Interesting. I'd guessed that grad school there might also be in his picture, but was surprised to learn he's going for an MS in Criminology.

Any yinzers got experience in or around that degree? What is Criminology typically used for, in a career?

Boy does this strike home --I went to Penn, my daughter PSU with a dual major in criminology and French of all things. She became a lawyer-- I believe @ PSU, there is a good contingent of criminology majors who went to the FBI ( this is from late 90s time so don't know today) etc..

Boy does this strike home --I went to Penn, my daughter PSU with a dual major in criminology and French of all things. She became a lawyer-- I believe @ PSU, there is a good contingent of criminology majors who went to the FBI ( this is from late 90s time so don't know today) etc..
That's what I've always heard--that law school is a common next step. But getting a Masters in it, before law school, doesn't seem very efficient--or useful. But he's a smart guy who's gotten good grades at a smart school, so I'd guess he has some kind of plan. Jumps out at me a little .... like something I wouldn't really advise my kid to do.

That said, I'm prepared to be educated by yous guys. (Also, if you've note my Central Pennsylvania diplomatic uses of both Western & Eastern PA sling slang, please be gentle on this ole 717 hick).

Media fan - are you a fan of the "Media" or a fan from Media? If the latter, I'm from the next borough on the R3 Media/Elwyn train line (i.e. Moylan/Rose Valley). And a Penn 89 grad - hence my earlier email.

Ex Quaker coach Roger Reina went to my high school.

That's what I've always heard--that law school is a common next step. But getting a Masters in it, before law school, doesn't seem very efficient--or useful. But he's a smart guy who's gotten good grades at a smart school, so I'd guess he has some kind of plan. Jumps out at me a little .... like something I wouldn't really advise my kid to do.

That said, I'm prepared to be educated by yous guys. (Also, if you've note my Central Pennsylvania diplomatic uses of both Western & Eastern PA sling slang, please be gentle on this ole 717 hick).
I don't know his career goals, so this is all baseless speculation (is there any other kind?) ...

Penn Law is itself a full-time job (and then some). It might be worthwhile to first gauge the coaching workload. Also, Penn gives free tuition to employees, so it's low risk to pile on another degree in the interim.

Or maybe he prefers the FBI route. Or maybe he wants to be a wrestling coach, but why waste the free tuition?

Reactions: jtothemfp
Media fan - are you a fan of the "Media" or a fan from Media? If the latter, I'm from the next borough on the R3 Media/Elwyn train line (i.e. Moylan/Rose Valley). And a Penn 89 grad - hence my earlier email.

Ex Quaker coach Roger Reina went to my high school.
Wow, close to home, I'm about 2 miles from that station. (Originally from central PA, but I've owned this house for about 10 years.)

And I'm a fan OF Media. Only drawback of living in Wallingford: close enough to Media to enjoy, not close enough to stumble home.

Wow, close to home, I'm about 2 miles from that station. (Originally from central PA, but I've owned this house for about 10 years.)

And I'm a fan OF Media. Only drawback of living in Wallingford: close enough to Media to enjoy, not close enough to stumble home.
Cool! Media is a fun place. So much more happening on State Street since I left for grad school and beyond. I'm making my way home sometime in the fall for the first time in a few years I hope. I miss real Cheesesteaks and Hoagies, plus Philly area attitude. Is the Tiny T Market still there?

If I didn't have about 20 people to see, I'd want to meet up. Maybe sometime.

Cool! Media is a fun place. So much more happening on State Street since I left for grad school and beyond. I'm making my way home sometime in the fall for the first time in a few years I hope. I miss real Cheesesteaks and Hoagies, plus Philly area attitude. Is the Tiny T Market still there?

If I didn't have about 20 people to see, I'd want to meet up. Maybe sometime.
I don't know of the place, but that doesn't mean much. Most of my Media outings are Iron Hill, Pinocchio's, 320 Market, or some other beer place that happens to serve decent-to-good food.

I don't know of the place, but that doesn't mean much. Most of my Media outings are Iron Hill, Pinocchio's, 320 Market, or some other beer place that happens to serve decent-to-good food.
Pinocchio's has been there forever - it was always a family fight to get pizza from there or Apollo - not sure if that's still there. Down the hill from Pinocchio's growing up was a Gino's. Are you old enough to remember those fast food joints? Started by Gino Marchetti of the Colts. A Wendy's is there now I think. The Gino Giant was a kick ass burger.

If you ever go to the Plumstead Inn, you may see my sister on a girl's night with her high school cronies. A brother of one of them has worked there forever. It used to be a dive that served high school kids. I heard it's classier now - can't imagine.

Pinocchio's has been there forever - it was always a family fight to get pizza from there or Apollo - not sure if that's still there. Down the hill from Pinocchio's growing up was a Gino's. Are you old enough to remember those fast food joints? Started by Gino Marchetti of the Colts. A Wendy's is there now I think. The Gino Giant was a kick ass burger.

If you ever go to the Plumstead Inn, you may see my sister on a girl's night with her high school cronies. A brother of one of them has worked there forever. It used to be a dive that served high school kids. I heard it's classier now - can't imagine.
From your Penn graduation year, we're probably pretty close in age. But I didn't move to Philly until 1994. Apollo is still on State St., though I've never been there. Never heard of Gino's (though I'm well aware of Marchetti). There is a Wendy's about a block from Pinocchio's.

Don't know if they did when you lived in the area, but now Pinocchio's has about 25 beers on tap plus a good-sized beer garden in the back, and occasional beer tasting classes in the upstairs apt. My battle is with The Boss preferring Double Decker (from Ridley, now has an outpost in Media that delivers to Wallingford), so I haven't been to Pinocchio's in over a year.

I have been to the Plumstead ... once. That was enough. Growing up in central PA, I don't fit into any Delco high school nights out, which is pretty much every night there. It always will be a dive. I sure hope I'll age better. If it's classier, it's because PA banned smoking a few years ago. Also because Tug McGraw is no longer around to drunkenly harass all the local girls -- and not get tossed because he was Tug McGraw.

If you haven't been back in a while, you'll be somewhat taken back by how much downtown Media has grown. It's much more upscale than it was 10 years ago, and there's been quite a bit of development, so rents have skyrocketed. They still have a lot of State St. events from April thru October. There's a much broader selection of restaurants, including 2 Mexican places (it's still Delco, so both are gringo owned, though the one I've been to is pretty good). I like it better than 10 years ago, but I don't smoke and don't have any ties to the old standbys that may or may not still exist.

Last edited:
From your Penn graduation year, we're probably pretty close in age. But I didn't move to Philly until 1994. Apollo is still on State St., though I've never been there. Never heard of Gino's (though I'm well aware of Marchetti). There is a Wendy's about a block from Pinocchio's.

Don't know if they did when you lived in the area, but now Pinocchio's has about 25 beers on tap plus a good-sized beer garden in the back, and occasional beer tasting classes in the upstairs apt. My battle is with The Boss preferring Double Decker (from Ridley, now has an outpost in Media that delivers to Wallingford), so I haven't been to Pinocchio's in over a year.

I have been to the Plumstead ... once. That was enough. Growing up in central PA, I don't fit into any Delco high school nights out, which is pretty much every night there. It always will be a dive. I sure hope I'll age better. If it's classier, it's because PA banned smoking a few years ago. Also because Tug McGraw is no longer around to drunkenly harass all the local girls -- and not get tossed because he was Tug McGraw.

If you haven't been back in a while, you'll be somewhat taken back by how much downtown Media has grown. It's much more upscale than it was 10 years ago, and there's been quite a bit of development, so rents have skyrocketed. They still have a lot of State St. events from April thru October. There's a much broader selection of restaurants, including 2 Mexican places (it's still Delco, so both are gringo owned, though the one I've been to is pretty good). I like it better than 10 years ago, but I don't smoke and don't have any ties to the old standbys that may or may not still exist.
LOL on the Plumstead. Yeah, I wouldn't step foot in that place if not a Townie. That was our last stop after our 25th HS reunion. Some people gave us of all groups the Stink Eye until the bartenders (2 younger brothers of people we graduated with) greeted us.

My sister can go there and have 20 guys defend her in case someone hassles her and her friends. There's something to be said for a place like that.

Pinocchio's was just a pizza joint.

I'm not sure if you know, but Media's little FBI office was the site of one of the biggest domestic information leaks of all time. A break in led to the divulging of the FBI's Cointelpro program. The people who broke in have never been uncovered.

WHYY ran a documentary on that about 2-3 weeks ago. Interviewed a number of the perpetrators. Interesting stuff, in a lot of ways, not all as intended by the primes or filmmakers.

WHYY ran a documentary on that about 2-3 weeks ago. Interviewed a number of the perpetrators. Interesting stuff, in a lot of ways, not all as intended by the primes or filmmakers.
Cool. I had never heard about it until I read something last year, and it happened in my proverbial backyard (and a friend's father was an agent in that office in the 70s).

Edit - just googled and saw some of the burglars went public recently. Pretty amazing that happened in sleepy old Media.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT