ADVERTISEMENT

Mayweather - Pacquiao My Thoughts

bmw199

Apr 10, 2013
Sorry I'm probably late to the party on this but here are my thoughts:
  • Manny was never as good as people made him out to be. It didn't matter at all that this fight didn't happen 5 years ago, result would have been the same. People started to think Manny could take Mayweather bc he beat De La Hoya and Hatton more convincingly than Mayweather but he fought De La Hoya 3 years after Mayweather and Hatton two years after Mayweather. Both were diminished and never the same. I will give him that he beat Cotto first but I'm not very high on Cotto anyway.
  • Mayweather's style is not conducive to a great fight for a casual fan but boy is he great at the sweet science. I wouldn't put his overall skill in front of any of the 80's greats but his defense and his counter right are probably the best ever.
  • Please no rematch. It happened, it was a great spectacle but Floyd dominated and there is no reason to have another.
  • The excuses for Manny with the injured shoulder are just garbage and really make Bob Arum look the sore loser he is.
I took the advice of some fellow boxing enthusiast and on demanded some of Gennady Golovkin's last few fights and I no longer believe Floyd Mayweather is the pound for pound champ. Golovkin would knock him out and Floyd Mayweather Sr has basically already said the same thing, so there is no way they're going to fight. Mayweather looks like he will fight Amir Kahn (which will be another easy win) and retire. I'd rather see him fight Keith Thurman (who he would probably still whoop). I will say it's going to be kind of cool over the next few years to see some of the guys Floyd has beaten beat up on each other and you're going to look back and realize how good Floyd was that he beat all of them.

For casual fans, get excited about the possibility of a heavyweight unification bout between Wilder and Klitschko in January 2016. Both sides seem like they are in if neither loses.

Reactions: psualt
I comletely agree with your post about Floyd. He is not someone that the casual fans will like to watch. He just isn't an action guy. I would not use this fight to dimish Manny's place in boxing other than to say he isn't as good as Floyd.

This was never going to be a canidate for fight of the year.

Wilder/Klitschko could be good for boxing. The HW's are still the guys that move the casual fan's needle.

Golovkin is as good as they get right now, but Floyd is jsut so hard to hit I don't know if he could get him. I do agree that there is about zero chance of it happening.

• Manny was never as good as people made him out to be. It didn't matter at all that this fight didn't happen 5 years ago, result would have been the same. People started to think Manny could take Mayweather bc he beat De La Hoya and Hatton more convincingly than Mayweather but he fought De La Hoya 3 years after Mayweather and Hatton two years after Mayweather. Both were diminished and never the same. I will give him that he beat Cotto first but I'm not very high on Cotto anyway.
  • Mayweather's style is not conducive to a great fight for a casual fan but boy is he great at the sweet science. I wouldn't put his overall skill in front of any of the 80's greats but his defense and his counter right are probably the best ever.
  • Please no rematch. It happened, it was a great spectacle but Floyd dominated and there is no reason to have another.
  • The excuses for Manny with the injured shoulder are just garbage and really make Bob Arum look the sore loser he is.
I took the advice of some fellow boxing enthusiast and on demanded some of Gennady Golovkin's last few fights and I no longer believe Floyd Mayweather is the pound for pound champ. Golovkin would knock him out and Floyd Mayweather Sr has basically already said the same thing, so there is no way they're going to fight. Mayweather looks like he will fight Amir Kahn (which will be another easy win) and retire. I'd rather see him fight Keith Thurman (who he would probably still whoop). I will say it's going to be kind of cool over the next few years to see some of the guys Floyd has beaten beat up on each other and you're going to look back and realize how good Floyd was that he beat all of them.

For casual fans, get excited about the possibility of a heavyweight unification bout between Wilder and Klitschko in January 2016. Both sides seem like they are in if neither loses.
Actually Pacquiao's fights with Hatton and Oscar were about a year and a half apart from Mayweathers. Mayweather's legs are shot. If he fights a younger guy with power who throws a lot of punches he is in trouble. Manny dazed him the few times he hit him solidly. It was subtle but it was there. The old aggressive Pacquiao (maybe juiced) without the shoulder injury had a chance for victory.

As a former fighter who admires what FM does so incredibly well, imo MP knocks him out 5 years ago (that said, we'll never be quite sure about Manny simply because of the screening issue.. what was he dodging?). He had a non-stop motor and he'd know Floyd couldn't hurt him so he'd keep on coming in... and all it was going to take was one shot... the man could swat.

As they say in the business... everyone has a plan... til they get hit. Manny would have landed the shot that would have given Floyd the opportunity to prove whether he was just a boxer or a great fighter. Too bad it didn't happen. But my money would have been on MP. Would have been a great fight.

Actually Pacquiao's fights with Hatton and Oscar were about a year and a half apart from Mayweathers. Mayweather's legs are shot. If he fights a younger guy with power who throws a lot of punches he is in trouble. Manny dazed him the few times he hit him solidly. It was subtle but it was there. The old aggressive Pacquiao (maybe juiced) without the shoulder injury had a chance for victory.

I do stand corrected, they were about a year and a half later, but I still don't think they were as impressive as other people made them out to be and I still never thought that it gave him a real chance of beating Mayweather.

You can say Manny's power was really good 5 years ago but you also have to acknowledge Floyd was even faster 5 years ago than he is now and he was still too fast. Cotto, De La Hoya, Judah all had the same power as Manny and non of them could do it to Floyd. Judah actually did land one great one flush (which wasn't ruled a knockdown that should have been) and Floyd still dominated the fight.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT