ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe it's just me

Admittedly, I'm an old dog but has the use of proper language changed? Let me first say that I have a man crush of CJF. I think he's been perfect for our program. He's sharp, compassionate and articulate which is what surprises me. Several times I've heard him say, "Me and my..." Back in my day we were taught to always put others first, "The team and I." Like I said, I'm and old dog and maybe the language has changed and this is acceptable. I've heard many other public figures speaking this way. It just strikes me the same as finger nails on the blackboard. Maybe the days of using proper language have come and went.

No the grammar hasn't changed which is why:

"I have a man crush of CJF"
is incorrect and should be "I have a man crush on CJF"

But the acceptable use of language has changed. Example:

"He's sharp, compassionate and articulate which is what surprises me." To be proper in today's language, it needs an immediate politically correct qualifier in-sentence, not after the sentence. Or else, you might be considered a racist. You're sentence would be taken to mean:

"He's sharp, compassionate and articulate which is what surprises me because he's black.(inferred)."

It's also klunky, not fit for the twitter-verse. You would just say he's dope.

I know, nobody likes a smart ass.

Admittedly, I'm an old dog but has the use of proper language changed? Let me first say that I have a man crush of CJF. I think he's been perfect for our program. He's sharp, compassionate and articulate which is what surprises me. Several times I've heard him say, "Me and my..." Back in my day we were taught to always put others first, "The team and I." Like I said, I'm and old dog and maybe the language has changed and this is acceptable. I've heard many other public figures speaking this way. It just strikes me the same as finger nails on the blackboard. Maybe the days of using proper language have come and went.

I really hope that was (TIC).

I also have driven a few employees of mine a bit nuts when I would not them send out a memo from our dept. because it needed to be cleaned up grammatically or the use of apostrophes or whatever was incorrect. They maybe groaned and rolled their eyes, but I stuck to my guns and insisted that if the grammar, etc. was a distraction to some people, they could miss the point of the memo. That, plus we as a dept. could look bad and be taken less seriously. They learned, and appreciated it in the long run.
That's completely acceptable and should be excepted by any employee in the workplace.That said it grinds my gears when someone is talking football on a message board and another poster goes grammar police mid-thread. In a forum such as this it serves no other purpose other than to be condescending toward another.

I'm an old fart too when it comes to grammar and punctuation and it's only getting worse.

I have slipped and used of instead of have and it was pointed out to me here so thank you.

The lack of proper capitalization drives me crazy and it can be the difference between helping your friend Jack off a horse or helping your friend jack off a horse. Spellcheck doesn't catch that.

Don't even get me started on lose and loose!

Reactions: nits74
I'm an old fart too when it comes to grammar and punctuation and it's only getting worse.

I have slipped and used of instead of have and it was pointed out to me here so thank you.

The lack of proper capitalization drives me crazy and it can be the difference between helping your friend Jack off a horse or helping your friend jack off a horse. Spellcheck doesn't catch that.

That's assuming he does indeed want help in either case.

Last edited:
-Everyone should of (sic) went (sic) to their (sic) remedial English class.
-While we're at it, why is the Oakland team the A's??
-'Live Fearless': nope, "Live Fearlessly" (adverb modifies verb).
Now get off my lawn.

Last edited:

or there, their and they're.

More pet peeves:
"Revert back". Saying the same thing twice. One either "reverts" or "goes back". Even the media/ journalists make this error.
Using "at" to end a sentence. I.e. Where are they at? It should be Where are they? Where's it at? It should be Where is it?

I was taught the same thing in school.
Two other things. Single digits you write the word, double or more you use the number.
Also Jim's is a contraction, Jims' denotes possession.

Incorrect on the contraction. Correct on writing out numbers (old school rules).

Jim's is singular possessive. That is Jim's car. Jims' would be singular possessive if the person's name was "Jims".
"What's" is a contraction. e.g. What is up? shortened (or contracted) to What's up?

The Smiths had a party. Smiths (no apostrophe) is plural. Plurals do not use apostrophes.

The party was at the Smiths' house.... in a plural possessive, the apostrophe comes after the "s" that makes the name or word a plural.

This is why people told me 'GFY.'

-Everyone should of (sic) went (sic) to their (sic) remedial English class.
-While we're at it, why is the Oakland team the A's??
-'Live Fearless': nope, "Live Fearlessly" (adverb modifies verb).
Now get off my lawn.

They are the Athletics. That name is shortened, or contracted, to A's. So the apostrophe is correct there, as the name is a contraction. The apostrophe is in place of the letters taken away.
Same with my Baltimore O's.

No the grammar hasn't changed which is why:

"I have a man crush of CJF"
is incorrect and should be "I have a man crush on CJF"

But the acceptable use of language has changed. Example:

"He's sharp, compassionate and articulate which is what surprises me." To be proper in today's language, it needs an immediate politically correct qualifier in-sentence, not after the sentence. Or else, you might be considered a racist. You're sentence would be taken to mean:

"He's sharp, compassionate and articulate which is what surprises me because he's black.(inferred)."

It's also klunky, not fit for the twitter-verse. You would just say he's dope.

I know, nobody likes a smart ass.

You're sentence would be taken to mean: ("You're" = contraction of you are. "Your" is possessive). :cool:

I wasn't thinking of anything along the lines of political correctness.
Regardless of the subject's race, the sentence stands on its own as written and is not linked in context to what I think he probably meant to say. As written, the writer is saying he is surprised that the subject is those things, regardless of race or gender or religion or left-handedness.
Well, maybe being left handed is implied by stating surprise. o_O
My guess is that he is surprised the subject made a grammatical error despite being those things. But when critiquing someone else's grammar and word use, the confusion caused by his own sentence structure is at least ironic.

I know, I know.... GFM. :rolleyes:

Incorrect on the contraction. Correct on writing out numbers (old school rules).

Jim's is singular possessive. That is Jim's car. Jims' would be singular possessive if the person's name was "Jims".
"What's" is a contraction. e.g. What is up? shortened (or contracted) to What's up?

The Smiths had a party. Smiths (no apostrophe) is plural. Plurals do not use apostrophes.
Bob's on vacation is a contraction.
The party was at the Smiths' house.... in a plural possessive, the apostrophe comes after the "s" that makes the name or word a plural.

Reactions: Bob78
You noticed that too. Amazing the length, 21/2 -3 inches.

Look at how long her right thumb is. You'll know where to find it.
Close.
Almost.
There ya go.

I'm thinking she has all that she has going for her, and on top of that, she can palm a basketball with her hands and her feet!
She's a miracle!

Reactions: step.eng69

Yes. It is. Same example as the "What's up?" one.
It is also a singular possessive.
Bob's on vacation. He and the family are staying at Bob's beach house.
Contraction. Singular possessive.

Yes. It is. Same example as the "What's up?" one.
It is also a singular possessive.
Bob's on vacation. He and the family are staying at Bob's beach house.
Contraction. Singular possessive.
My schooling was 40s and 50s. That's a long time ago.

Reactions: Bob78
English is a living and evolving language.

However, it's "she and I ", not "me and her", as the subject of the sentence.

Also:
"Than" compares
"Then" is when
"A lot" is two words, not one.

ADVERTISEMENT