ADVERTISEMENT

Max Dean

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
We have come to expect great things from all of our wrestlers. I was most impressed, even surprised a little, by Dean's performance over the weekend. Against three solid opponents, one wrestling him near even during the season (Dean did finally win by 3), another beating him during the season (Caffey), and a third he didn't wrestle.

At B1G's, Dean seemed in total control in all three of his bouts, winning the title. Never out of position, didn't come all that close to giving up a takedown while getting five of his own (I think that's right). Really smart wrestling. I was impressed, given who he faced.

Was most impressed with Max at the tournament. He had to go thru quality guys there. During the regular season, that stretch of come from behind wins and the loss to Caffey had me doubting him as a finalist but now my opinion is changed. Looked great.

I agree too! Max seems to have raised his game at B1G's this year. He won a number of matches this year just on guts and grit. But this past weekend he outwrestled tough opponents showing more dominance (not big margins of victory, but where he clearly wrestled the better match). I expect to see him at the top of the podium in 11 days!

What I noticed immediately was a change in strategy that was dramatically more effective. Dean is a smaller 197 and has had a bit of trouble getting to legs w/ guys that maintain distance.

Dean is a great hand fighter so he was able to really tighten his tie-ups & pull opponents in closer in order to get them off-balance, uncomfortable, and within immediate reach of the legs. It worked beautifully, he didn't have much trouble getting to legs or finishing.

One of my favorite Max moments: such genuine gratitude and excitement in his interview for how life-changing the move has been. Not surprising since we’ve heard it so many times before, but his time in Happy Valley has been a huge net-positive in every facet of his life.

We have come to expect great things from all of our wrestlers. I was most impressed, even surprised a little, by Dean's performance over the weekend. Against three solid opponents, one wrestling him near even during the season (Dean did finally win by 3), another beating him during the season (Caffey), and a third he didn't wrestle.

At B1G's, Dean seemed in total control in all three of his bouts, winning the title. Never out of position, didn't come all that close to giving up a takedown while getting five of his own (I think that's right). Really smart wrestling. I was impressed, given who he faced.

Super consistent - in sports, they say "consistency" is the mark of greatness when you're consistent at a high level of performance. Dean is not the most dynamic Neutral wrestler you're ever going to see, but he seems to understand his strengths & weaknesses well (or as Clint so eloquently put it, "a man's got to know his limitations"). He's really managed that 1st Period well since Caffey - seems like he's always tied or leading going into mat wrestling periods and he has just ground everyone to a pulp there. Only way I see him losing a match is if he lets someone get out to a 1st Period lead, but again... he seems to understand this very well.

Max Dean is a beast! Total control is a great way to put it. Thought the same thing with Starocci in his match with Massa. That was the Massa of old and Carter controlled the entire match. Super impressive.
He is STONE COLD!! He looks like an old time gangster from Murder Inc. out there! To bad Jersey Shore from Stllwater couldn't drive like an adult. I would have loved to have seen that match! Imagine Jersey Shore screaming out in pain when Max slaps the bow and arrow on him!!!

I'm sure there were guys using the bow & arrow before McIntosh, but I don't remember any. Can anyone think of PSU guys using the bow & arrow regularly before Morgan?
the kid at Northwestern (from California) used it all of the time - Welsh? can't recall and I know not PSU but he was the first I recall using it all of the time

I'm sure there were guys using the bow & arrow before McIntosh, but I don't remember any. Can anyone think of PSU guys using the bow & arrow regularly before Morgan?
Varner ... though he wasn't yet at PSU at the time.

Frank “Gorilla Hulk” Molinaro

Anyone else think Max has settled in at 197 after going 184 in the past? It sure looks like his progress and improvement throughout the season are mostly the result of getting used to a new weight.
Yeah, reminds me some of Quentin's final year, when he went up to 197. Wrestled smart and went all the way despite some big, strong opponents like Wilps of Pittsburgh, and Dustin Kilgore of Kent State.

Reactions: Treelion66
I’m probably in the minority but I actually hope he wins the title this year and then decides to hang them up. He goes out on top and then Beard gets to step in. I see Beard as a very high AA this year and I really hope he gets to show everyone how good he is next year. If Max does come back I’ll be happy of course but I have a soft spot for Beard

I’m probably in the minority but I actually hope he wins the title this year and then decides to hang them up. He goes out on top and then Beard gets to step in. I see Beard as a very high AA this year and I really hope he gets to show everyone how good he is next year. If Max does come back I’ll be happy of course but I have a soft spot for Beard
absolutely he has shown how good he is this year. If prepared (meaning not coming off injury) he had the big10 runner up beat

Echo the sentiments here. So glad he’s one of us now. This will get some boos but I think he may be one and done especially if he wins the title. And if that’s the case, and he kept it under wraps to move on quietly, in my book that makes him a bigger badass than he already is.
Can you ask your Iowa friend if Max is burned out?
I think dodge ball keeps his interest strong.

Yeah, reminds me some of Quentin's final year, when he went up to 197. Wrestled smart and went all the way despite some big, strong opponents like Wilps of Pittsburgh, and Dustin Kilgore of Kent State.
I'm hoping beard learned it would love to see him be a wrecking ball the next three years I think he has the talent and this year off in the room with dean had to help

ADVERTISEMENT