ADVERTISEMENT

Max Dean: done deal

Still, that commitment might change if there is a recommendation to require the vaccine when the faculty senate convenes on Wednesday.
I'm skeptical. Barron is not in favor of such a mandate and neither is Wolf.

The faculty senate proposal eminated entirely from the College of Liberal Arts. Nobody from the College of Science signed it. That's kinda telling.

Wow, Gabe Dean just unloaded on the Cornell President and adminstration. My respect for him and his brother just went through the roof. More people need to stand up for what they believe in and act when things aren't right. Something smells rotten in Ithaca and happy the Dean's called BS on the entire situation there.
And my respect for him just went through the floor. I won't sully this wrestling thread and board with reasons.

I'm skeptical. Barron is not in favor of such a mandate and neither is Wolf.

The faculty senate proposal eminated entirely from the College of Liberal Arts. Nobody from the College of Science signed it. That's kinda telling.

That's because it was ONLY put forth by THAT caucus. The College of Science is not part of the College of Liberal Arts. A faculty senate rep from the College of Health and Human Development can't sign onto a measure from the College of Science, and the Liberal Arts rep can't sign onto a measure from the College of Engineering or College of Earth and Mineral Sciences.

"The new resolution, marked in Appendix A on the senate’s agenda, is sponsored by members of the College of the Liberal Arts Faculty Senate Caucus. More than 20 members of this senate caucus have their names signed on the proposed resolution.

Reactions: Gray52
That's because it was ONLY put forth by THAT caucus. The College of Science is not part of the College of Liberal Arts. A faculty senate rep from the College of Health and Human Development can't sign onto a measure from the College of Science, and the Liberal Arts rep can't sign onto a measure from the College of Engineering or College of Earth and Mineral Sciences.

"The new resolution, marked in Appendix A on the senate’s agenda, is sponsored by members of the College of the Liberal Arts Faculty Senate Caucus. More than 20 members of this senate caucus have their names signed on the proposed resolution.
College of Science also didn't sign the letter to the Board of Trustees.

Regardless, faculty pushing for a mandate is irony overload. Universities are supposed to be places of open dialogue and persuasion. Mandates indicate an unwillingness to openly discuss and persuade.

That, and Barron isn't in favor of a mandate.

Last edited:
Those are going to be some pretty good wrestle offs between Dean and Beard. I would have to think they both go in early season starts, then a decision made after (hopefully) the Scuffle.

I'm rooting (slightly) for Beard, just because he's been here. But I'll pull for Max just as hard if he wins the spot. Hopefully both guys stay healthy.

If Michael wins the spot next year, he'll be a much better version of what he was this year. He knows he isn't getting sent to the postseason next year if there are concerns from Cael that he'll have gas tank issues. Max on the other hand is ready for an all or nothing approach, win the spot and he's confident he will win whatever weight he goes with Cael coaching and cornering him. This is a beautiful thing guys.

Just a thought, but Beard having to beat Dean in the room is something I believe is great for Beard. The little things the Taylors, Nolfs, Nickals or Nicos do to lengthen that gas tank is something Beard will now have to do if he wants to beat Dean. Other things like better positioning and more effective sprawls will probably also become part of Beard's wrestling.

Dean will improve simply by working with Taylor, Bo and Cael.

PSU having the 2022 197 pound champion should surprise no one.

Just a thought, but Beard having to beat Dean in the room is something I believe is great for Beard. The little things the Taylors, Nolfs, Nickals or Nicos do to lengthen that gas tank is something Beard will now have to do if he wants to beat Dean. Other things like better positioning and more effective sprawls will probably also become part of Beard's wrestling.

Dean will improve simply by working with Taylor, Bo and Cael.

PSU having the 2022 197 pound champion should surprise no one.
Just to make sure your last statement is accurate, I heard Cael has reached out to AJ Ferrari AND Braxton Amos as well. Early reports are they are leaning on coming.

Beard might as well put his name in the portal. Or at least I guess if he loses the wrestle offs in the room then transfer. Come south son.

I love it that Cael is ruthless about winning. Reminds me of Jordan just as a coach now.

Michael Beard says bring it ....
Lol no he’ll be leaving....or not wrestling? Great backup to have either way.

Dean will be good at 197 but 197 is stacked. May get a rude awakening. Brooks on the other hand is Brooks. Still would be tougher than 184. Brooks as a full sized 197 would be scary.

I’m assuming if Brooks was willing to go 197lb then yall would of gotten Griffith cause wouldnt that of taken care of him wanting to bump up? Unless cstar didn’t wanna go up.

I give up
"Iron Sharpens Iron"
"NO Iron Sharpens Iron!"
:)

giphy.gif

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Gabe sounds like a spoiled child.

Is he going to complain when state schools require students to get COVID vaccinations, too?

Because, helpful hint: that's coming down the line. I mean, every reputable school requires kids to have proof of an MMR, tetanus, meningitis, Hep B, and polio shot on record. Those diseases don't kill many American college students, either.

Also, glad to hear that he's a "component" of freedom. What a maroon.
If you actually listen to what Gabe Dean said, it is quite easy to figure out that the real reason they left Cornell was because Cornell has not had sports in over a year and refuses to provide an explanation as to why that decision was made. Left unsaid is there is no guarantee that they do not cancel winter sports in 2021/2022. I think Gabe is also tired of being the mask police on campus, something he did not sign up for when he took the coaching job at Cornell. Gabe talked about the vaccine for about 20 seconds.

On the vaccine, I tell people I am in the control group when asked if I have gotten it. Pulled this line at a high school track meet yesterday (I coach). Rival coaches responses, one asked me what study I was in, another said "I got it, I am ex-military, I am use to being a guinea pig". The response from the ex-military coach is the reason I have not and will not get it until some long term data is available regarding safety. I am very low risk and know 2 elderly people (one 96 years old) who got Covid and survived without any medical intervention. People should be allowed to make their own risk benefit analysis on a vaccine approved under Emergency Use Authorization. Which by the way, the EUA law specifically states that it cannot be mandated.

What Gabe Dean said is correct, getting the vaccine should be YOUR choice. If you get it, you are protected, from those who have not gotten it. If that is not the case, why get it?

Apologies for polluting the board.

College of Science also didn't sign the letter to the Board of Trustees.

Regardless, faculty pushing for a mandate is irony overload. Universities are supposed to be places of open dialogue and persuasion. Mandates indicate an unwillingness to openly discuss and persuade.

That, and Barron isn't in favor of a mandate.
The need for mandatory vaccinations is absolutely correct: ethically, politically, legally, and pragmatically. The rest of the "hesitant" crowd is a pack of cowards.

For those with interest, below are:

(a) A link to an updated (May 10th) list of colleges and universities (organized by state) that are mandating the Covid-19 vaccine for fall 2021;

(b) A recent National Public Radio (NPR) article on the subject; and

(c) A short, accessible Harvard Law Review blog article on some of the legal aspects of the issue:

https://www.bestcolleges.com/blog/list-of-colleges-that-require-covid-19-vaccine/
What Colleges Require the COVID-19 Vaccine? | BestColleges
An expanding list of U.S. colleges and universities say students must have received a COVID-19 vaccine before arriving on campus this fall. So far, most of the institutions that have announced the new mandate are private, with schools like Cornell University and Duke University paving the way.
www.bestcolleges.com
https://www.npr.org/2021/04/11/984787779/should-colleges-require-covid-19-vaccines-for-fall-more-campuses-are-saying-yes
More Colleges Say They'll Require Students To Have COVID Vaccines For Fall : NPR
More campuses are expected to add the requirement, with potential legal challenges ahead. One key point: Requiring vaccines for infectious diseases is nothing new for many residential colleges.
www.npr.org

https://blog.harvardlawreview.org/can-colleges-and-universities-require-student-covid-19-vaccination/
Can Colleges and Universities Require Student Covid-19 Vaccination?Harvard Law Review | (In the last year, colleges and universities across the U.S. struggled with how to operate during the COVID-19 pandemic. The most recent data, from January 2021, shows a mix of online and in-person modes of instruction. At the same time, a study of the experience in early fall 2020 found an association ...
At the same time, a study of the experience in early fall 2020 found an association between colleges and universities with in-person instruction and increased infection incidence in the counties within which the schools were located. With vaccine authorization in the U.S. and the promise of potential availability for student populations in late spring and summer 2021 (in most states ...
blog.harvardlawreview.org

Michael Beard says bring it ....
Not that i don’t believe this, however, for some reason surgeries and redshirts are kept pretty close and in house and hardly ever leak. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him have surgery. Again Cael has a plan and wouldn’t waste a year or even 2 of a talent like beards.

Been a done deal for a while. Max to Penn State with no assurances of a spot, and Gabe retiring.

As others have suggested, I don't think Dean beating Beard is a sure thing at all. Beard will likely be significantly bigger than him. And, Dean isn't a particularly big 184, when he last wrestled at that weight.

If Beard stays/gets in good or great shape, that will eliminate one of his biggest weaknesses. Actually, two: in addition to the obvious "gassing", one of the other signs of a poorly developed or weak cardiovascular system is irregular physiological performance. Meaning, the guy who melted in the Nate Jackson match and Jake Woodley match (IIRC) might transition to the looking more like the guy who took Myles Amine to OT and beat the brakes off Owen Pentz. Or better.

The need for mandatory vaccinations is absolutely correct: ethically, politically, legally, and pragmatically. The rest of the "hesitant" crowd is a pack of cowards.

For those with interest, below are:

(a) A link to an updated (May 10th) list of colleges and universities (organized by state) that are mandating the Covid-19 vaccine for fall 2021;

(b) A recent National Public Radio (NPR) article on the subject; and

(c) A short, accessible Harvard Law Review blog article on some of the legal aspects of the issue:

https://www.bestcolleges.com/blog/list-of-colleges-that-require-covid-19-vaccine/
What Colleges Require the COVID-19 Vaccine? | BestColleges
An expanding list of U.S. colleges and universities say students must have received a COVID-19 vaccine before arriving on campus this fall. So far, most of the institutions that have announced the new mandate are private, with schools like Cornell University and Duke University paving the way.
www.bestcolleges.com
https://www.npr.org/2021/04/11/984787779/should-colleges-require-covid-19-vaccines-for-fall-more-campuses-are-saying-yes
More Colleges Say They'll Require Students To Have COVID Vaccines For Fall : NPR
More campuses are expected to add the requirement, with potential legal challenges ahead. One key point: Requiring vaccines for infectious diseases is nothing new for many residential colleges.
www.npr.org

https://blog.harvardlawreview.org/can-colleges-and-universities-require-student-covid-19-vaccination/
Can Colleges and Universities Require Student Covid-19 Vaccination?Harvard Law Review | (In the last year, colleges and universities across the U.S. struggled with how to operate during the COVID-19 pandemic. The most recent data, from January 2021, shows a mix of online and in-person modes of instruction. At the same time, a study of the experience in early fall 2020 found an association ...
At the same time, a study of the experience in early fall 2020 found an association between colleges and universities with in-person instruction and increased infection incidence in the counties within which the schools were located. With vaccine authorization in the U.S. and the promise of potential availability for student populations in late spring and summer 2021 (in most states ...
blog.harvardlawreview.org
Scientists say we will reach herd immunity in July. Therefore a September vaccine mandate means that we do not believe science.

In any case, cowardice is mandating something without attempting the hard work of convincing people who think differently. "It's legal! It's ethical!" isn't gonna fly with my skeptical black co-worker who distrusts government and large institutions because of Tuskegee. If you want to try that with her, I'll sell tickets.

Scientists say we will reach herd immunity in July. Therefore a September vaccine mandate means that we do not believe science.

In any case, cowardice is mandating something without attempting the hard work of convincing people who think differently. "It's legal! It's ethical!" isn't gonna fly with my skeptical black co-worker who distrusts government and large institutions because of Tuskegee. If you want to try that with her, I'll sell tickets.
Take it to the dumpster fire thread, you guys. How can we persuade you that it’s the ethical thing to do? :rolleyes:

Actually, scientists are saying we will likely not, ever, reach herd immunity. There are way too many people who refuse to be vaccinated to get there.

But daily vaccination rates are slipping, and there is widespread consensus among scientists and public health experts that the herd immunity threshold is not attainable — at least not in the foreseeable future, and perhaps not ever.

If Michael wins the spot next year, he'll be a much better version of what he was this year. He knows he isn't getting sent to the postseason next year if there are concerns from Cael that he'll have gas tank issues. Max on the other hand is ready for an all or nothing approach, win the spot and he's confident he will win whatever weight he goes with Cael coaching and cornering him. This is a beautiful thing guys.
This is the thing right here. I'm not going to say Beard can or can't beat Dean out for a spot, but I think it's a true statement that if he does, it's a sign that he's much better than he showed this year (and he's talented enough to take that leap forward).

Reactions: nitlion6
Great inside poster on other board who was In on this mentioned Howard and beard having surgery, with Howard being cleared for October (a month to prepare for season VS no time this off-season)

max doesn’t really fill any hole (149 - 165)
Would think we get 2 of the 3

Great inside poster on other board who was In on this mentioned Howard and beard having surgery, with Howard being cleared for October (a month to prepare for season VS no time this off-season)

I'm still mystified as to how the ref let that happen to Howard. They stop the action so quickly for things a lot less dangerous.

Just to make sure your last statement is accurate, I heard Cael has reached out to AJ Ferrari AND Braxton Amos as well. Early reports are they are leaning on coming.
Cael is multifaceted and has many ever changing goals.

He has now accomplished a NCAA Champion at every weight. Who is to say he won't next try to spent all 9.9 scholarships on 197 pounders and Still win the team Championship.

2 of 3 what?

Michael is NOT getting surgery or injured currently. He's currently working out every day.
Good to hear. If anything, this is a wake up call for him that he needs to be better. A person of high character takes something like this as a challenge to make themselves better instead of getting down, running away, or complaining.

Beard was a sweat slip away from taking out the #1 seed at NCAAs. I think he will be our starter next year. He will get better, bank on that.
It's not his apex that's a concern IMO. It's matches like he had against Woodley/Caffey (when the tank runs empty) that he has to fix. If we can get the Beard that wrestled Amine (minus the slip) for an entire tournament, for sure he should be our starter.

ADVERTISEMENT