ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Burrell, who once chose OSU over PSU, looks like a spring cut by Urban.

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001
A redshirt junior, Burrell would have had two seasons of eligibility remaining for the Buckeyes. Coming out of this spring, however, there did not appear to be an available spot for him on the offensive line two-deep. With Burrell's transfer, Ohio State is now at 87 scholarships for the 2018 season. The Buckeyes will need at least two more players to transfer from the program to get down to the 85-man limit.

2918610.jpg

Always got the feeling....... he wasn't much of a prospect (despite - IIRC - rather lofty ratings by the Cheeseburger-Eaters).
I recall reports of him kicking ass on the camp circuit. Think that was Barkley's class where we beat out the Buckeyes for a number of prospects.

Reactions: ELDADDY
We have a number of kids that would already be gone, if we ran this program the way that Meyer runs his. I think we could all pick out at least 5 guys who would have been elsewhere by last year, let alone this year.

And how many more people does OSU have on its roster that would fall into that same category? Coaches don't cut all of their recruiting mistakes, just those that are needed to get to 85.

FWIW: As of last count, PSU is over limit by the exact same number as OSU.... they each have the same number of scholarships to "process" between now and Count Day.
Yeah, hate to say it but PSU will have to "process" two guys to get down to the 85 limit. We all bitch about the $EC (plus O$U, F$U and some others) method of "processing" to sign classes of 30+ and keep better talent on the bench, but IMO it is the only way to remain competitive in the current CFB landscape. If you ever want to compete with Bama you have to play like Bama. I hate seeing it and hope CJF can keep it to a bare minimum, but we have already seen it with guys like Akeel Lynch and Andre Robinson. Hopefully "Success With Honor" can continue on with the quality of student-athletes brought in and having them graduate, but I'm afraid if you want to stay in the Top 10 this will continue.

The kid looks like he spent more time at supper table than weight room, no wonder they're getting rid of him.

Yeah, hate to say it but PSU will have to "process" two guys to get down to the 85 limit. We all bitch about the $EC (plus O$U, F$U and some others) method of "processing" to sign classes of 30+ and keep better talent on the bench, but IMO it is the only way to remain competitive in the current CFB landscape. If you ever want to compete with Bama you have to play like Bama. I hate seeing it and hope CJF can keep it to a bare minimum, but we have already seen it with guys like Akeel Lynch and Andre Robinson. Hopefully "Success With Honor" can continue on with the quality of student-athletes brought in and having them graduate, but I'm afraid if you want to stay in the Top 10 this will continue.

Akeel Lynch already graduated when he left. He was going to go somewhere he could play without having to sit out a year. Just like with Tommy Stevens if he had transferred. I don't think you can put them under the "processed" umbrella.

Akeel Lynch already graduated when he left. He was going to go somewhere he could play without having to sit out a year. Just like with Tommy Stevens if he had transferred. I don't think you can put them under the "processed" umbrella.
He left because he wasn't going to get much time behind #26. Geno Lewis is a similar story. We'll see what happens. My guess is we'll have a couple of kids who won't participate due to injuries.

There’s a chance that processing actually works out for both parties involved. The kid gets another shot at playing somewhere else, why is that so bad?

There’s a chance that processing actually works out for both parties involved. The kid gets another shot at playing somewhere else, why is that so bad?
Maybe the kid doesn’t want to play somewhere else...maybe some of these guys actually choose the school and not just which team they would get the most minutes of playing time. Just a thought.

Yeah, it's about the chances they had while there, the honesty of the coaches in communication with the recruits and roster players, and if the kids did all that was asked and just didn't make it whether the coaches and program fulfill [what we hope they consider] their responsibility in supporting these kids in finding another place to play, complete their degree, etc.

But that's the downside of getting your college education paid for by playing football, along with all the other benefits. We'd hope the schools will prioritize the best interests of the student athlete, but if their performance isn't enough to justify the rewards...., there has to be some correction. For me, the hope is that's carried out with the best of intentions, prioritizing the kid's best interests and in the most understanding and supportive way. And we really don't hear about kids who do everything right, play straight and carry out all that's asked of them getting their schollies pulled very often. I don't remember ever hearing that.

Reactions: joeparules
Kids aren't forced to transfer because they can't play. Burrell played more than many other kids who will complete their eligibility without ever playing a meaningful down. Every Senior Day game you watch guys run out and hug their moms who you had forgotten where even on the team. If it was simply a matter of cutting the end of the bench, those guys wouldn't make it to Senior Day.

Recruits go to,programs like OSU, PSU, Alabama, etc... because they believe they can play at this level, and have ambitions of playing at the next. If at a certain point a kid looks unlikely to play the amount they would like, I think the right thing to do is for the coach to let them know so if they want to try at another program they can.

Bad example ... forgot Akeel had already graduated. I was going to use Barbir as Norm pointed out with a couple other examples. Post-JVP everyone wanted a more "modern" approach to CFB and we are now getting the good (updated facilities, better strength training, etc) with the bad (processing, losing good assistant coaches, etc).

Yeah, it's about the chances they had while there, the honesty of the coaches in communication with the recruits and roster players, and if the kids did all that was asked and just didn't make it whether the coaches and program fulfill [what we hope they consider] their responsibility in supporting these kids in finding another place to play, complete their degree, etc.

But that's the downside of getting your college education paid for by playing football, along with all the other benefits. We'd hope the schools will prioritize the best interests of the student athlete, but if their performance isn't enough to justify the rewards...., there has to be some correction. For me, the hope is that's carried out with the best of intentions, prioritizing the kid's best interests and in the most understanding and supportive way. And we really don't hear about kids who do everything right, play straight and carry out all that's asked of them getting their schollies pulled very often. I don't remember ever hearing that.

Anthony Stanko comes to mind. O'Brien wasted no time telling him to move on, but the Ship counted against our roster.

What is interesting is I don't recall seeing anyone leaving PSU early going off on social media about it. Lynch remained an ambassador for Penn State. They may all be high-character guys who took it well and accepted that they were beaten out by better talent. Still, you might expect to see one guy critical of the program.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
A redshirt junior, Burrell would have had two seasons of eligibility remaining for the Buckeyes. Coming out of this spring, however, there did not appear to be an available spot for him on the offensive line two-deep. With Burrell's transfer, Ohio State is now at 87 scholarships for the 2018 season. The Buckeyes will need at least two more players to transfer from the program to get down to the 85-man limit.

2918610.jpg

I remember that dude! Later bruh!

2918610.jpg
What happens if no one decides to transfer? Is there a fair process?

And how many more people does OSU have on its roster that would fall into that same category? Coaches don't cut all of their recruiting mistakes, just those that are needed to get to 85.
Only cutting those needed to get to 85 can mean different things in different programs... and depending on how many newbies they sign vs how many they wanted to.

Yeah, hate to say it but PSU will have to "process" two guys to get down to the 85 limit.
In the past there have been walk-ons who have received a scholarship for a semester or two. Are there any of those currently on the team that were given the agreement that; "you'll get this scholarship for one year. After that, you'll be back to walk-on status to free up the 'ship."
Yes, some will call that processing, but I wouldn't if the specifics were all out on the table prior to the agreement.

OL

Only cutting those needed to get to 85 can mean different things in different programs... and depending on how many newbies they sign vs how many they wanted to.

85 is 85. Don't see how recruits that got away factor into the computation.

85 is 85. Don't see how recruits that got away factor into the computation.
Not recruits that got away. Recruits that weren’t taken because the coaches were honoring their commitment to the kids they’d have to cut to make room. Saying we’ll only cut to get down to 85 doesn’t sound as fair if they oversign by 8 kids.

I said in my post above that cutting some may be fair and reasonable given the kids are getting loads in return. Folks may or may not agree. I certainly wouldn’t want my kid cut to make room for someone else, but if he’s not going to play, isn’t making the effort, etc., he also shouldn’t get 4 free years because he was successful in high school and signed an LOI. People come out differently. But to say we only cut X to get to 85, that may or may not be fair depending... j But that’s just me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TheGLOV
Not recruits that got away. Recruits that weren’t taken because the coaches were honoring their commitment to the kids they’d have to cut to make room. Saying we’ll only cut to get down to 85 doesn’t sound as fair if they oversign by 8 kids.

I said in my post above that cutting some may be fair and reasonable given the kids are getting loads in return. Folks may or may not agree. I certainly wouldn’t want my kid cut to make room for someone else, but if he’s not going to play, isn’t making the effort, etc., he also shouldn’t get 4 free years because he was successful in high school and signed an LOI. People come out differently. But to say we only cut X to get to 85, that may or may not be fair depending... j But that’s just me.

And after the LOIs afre all signed and delivered and the number is greater than 85, that commitment is worth what?

Reactions: Westcoast24
And after the LOIs afre all signed and delivered and the number is greater than 85, that commitment is worth what?
Varies. Also varies how much coaches worry about the 85 limit before/on NLI day.

Oh well

Varies. Also varies how much coaches worry about the 85 limit before/on NLI day.

Oh well

Varies? If a school is over 85 when all of the LOIs are collected, it's pretty much committed to moving someone off the roster that isn't aware of it. Events may obviate that, but I doubt that many coaches whistle in the dark.

Varies? If a school is over 85 when all of the LOIs are collected, it's pretty much committed to moving someone off the roster that isn't aware of it. Events may obviate that, but I doubt that many coaches whistle in the dark.
Right. I don't know of any that whistle in the dark. Fair to assume none or darned close to none as the stakes would be too high. Which brings us full circle. What varies between programs isn't the number of scholarship players (except when below 85). What varies is the willingness to overisgn and process, how seriously the coaches take the commitment to being sure these kids get the college education they bargained for when choosing their program. To say "we only cut those 'recruiting mistakes' to get to the 85 limit" could play out very differently.

Got a good suggestion for quiet Sunday lunch in Princeton with an old friend?

Right. I don't know of any that whistle in the dark. Fair to assume none or darned close to none as the stakes would be too high. Which brings us full circle. What varies between programs isn't the number of scholarship players (except when below 85). What varies is the willingness to overisgn and process, how seriously the coaches take the commitment to being sure these kids get the college education they bargained for when choosing their program. To say "we only cut those 'recruiting mistakes' to get to the 85 limit" could play out very differently.

Got a good suggestion for quiet Sunday lunch in Princeton with an old friend?

Given what coaches make these days, they're all "willing," more so if they lose a game or two too many here and there.

Not a brunch person and Princeton isn't in my bailiwick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT