ADVERTISEMENT

MATHS. [insert the face here] : Japanese multiplication method

I can see that getting really difficult with higher digits with a lot of lines and counting (79 x 88)

Know your basic facts. Multiple and add seems to be simpler.
In the followup post by @4rosco, it talks about using arrays. Similar to cuisenaire rods.Usually used at lower grades up to maybe grade 4.
After that, IMO, use the multiply and add method.
When I taught “new” methods, I would teach them, teach mine and tell kids to use either or “mom/dad/grandma/grandpa’s” method. Whatever is easier as long as they learn it.

OL

Know your basic facts. Multiple and add seems to be simpler.
In the followup post by @4rosco, it talks about using arrays. Similar to cuisenaire rods.Usually used at lower grades up to maybe grade 4.
After that, IMO, use the multiply and add method.
When I taught “new” methods, I would teach them, teach mine and tell kids to use either or “mom/dad/grandma/grandpa’s” method. Whatever is easier as long as they learn it.

OL

Oh, sure. Make it more complicated. Are we multiplying or adding? You expect people to do both in one problem?

• Haha
Reactions: OhioLion
My son was struggling a bit doing it the 'traditional' way, so I taught him the box method (which is similar to this without drawing the lines) and that can be done pretty quickly. It's just a short cut way of breaking down the problem by hundreds/tens/ones

Reactions: LionJim
I like it because it reinforces that multiplication is just repeated addition. Obviously it is slow but anytime you can show younger people a visual approach and explain it well enough it is worth doing. Especially if your count is 10 or bigger.

My son was struggling a bit doing it the 'traditional' way, so I taught him the box method (which is similar to this without drawing the lines) and that can be done pretty quickly. It's just a short cut way of breaking down the problem by hundreds/tens/ones
Which is essentially what common core math does but parents go crazy about it

That’s really fascinating but was this method instituted because there’s a calculator shortage in Japan?
Back in the 80s we had a guy in our Tokyo office that used an abacus. I bought one as a souvenir and tried it on the flight home. I gave up pretty quickly.

ADVERTISEMENT