ADVERTISEMENT

Match Notes for SH and OS this weekend

Interesting of note. Facundo listed as one of the 165 atheletes as well as Edsell (no Matt Lee). Does Facundo redshirt get pulled right off the bat? If he's by far the best guy..I don't see why not.

Reactions: Ja1339
Joe Lee will have a nice opportunity to jump up rankings if he could manage a win against #15 Hunter Willits (OSU). Bartlett gets a ranked opponent as well against #24 Cory Crooks.

Reactions: backdrft76
I fully expect Facundo to be in the lineup come March, but would be mildly surprised if he got a start Saturday.

If he's the best guy right now what's the advantage of waiting? I can understand if an upperclassman is hanging with him and you could get way with it..but I don't believe that's the case
Because if you burn his redshirt now and he ends up not being capable of scoring in March, you just wasted a year of eligibility. Instead, you wait and evaluate his progression before determining what level he’s at heading into the second semester.

If he's the best guy right now what's the advantage of waiting? I can understand if an upperclassman is hanging with him and you could get way with it..but I don't believe that's the case
The goal isn't to be the best guy in the lineup today, or even in March. It's to maximize points at nationals.

If the coaches think he needs more work, then not starting immediately makes him available to travel to opens and get in more matches. Especially before hitting the meat of the schedule.

A little odd that Edsell gets his name in print at 165 while Manville, Dunbar, and Matt Lee do not.

I doubt Cael put much time into those game notes, but who knows? Maybe that's the way it is.

The goal isn't to be the best guy in the lineup today, or even in March. It's to maximize points at nationals.

If the coaches think he needs more work, then not starting immediately makes him available to travel to opens and get in more matches. Especially before hitting the meat of the schedule.
The going to opens and getting more matches makes sense to me. Didn’t look at it that way..

Was reported that Facundo would go against Oregon State as well as the lineups for each specific dual.

Reactions: pish69
Looks like some of the folks on the Clarion Open page got part of their wish: the article doesn’t list Steen in the potential lineup. To me, (correct me if I’m wrong Clay) that indicates him being likely for a RS. Which, based on the reports from those that watched the Open, will allow him to build into the 125 class a bit more.

Personally, I’m most curious to see how Michael Beard and Max Dean perform

Looks like some of the folks on the Clarion Open page got part of their wish: the article doesn’t list Steen in the potential lineup. To me, (correct me if I’m wrong Clay) that indicates him being likely for a RS. Which, based on the reports from those that watched the Open, will allow him to build into the 125 class a bit more.

Personally, I’m most curious to see how Michael Beard and Max Dean perform
Yeah I think Steen was always gonna end up as a RS. He was a ways off being ready to contribute to Penn State’s lineup coming in and while it’s possible to make a jump in the room, it would’ve had to be quite the jump.

There was a thread as month ago or so where someone speculated that RBY may not be a go until 2nd semester. It’ll certainly be nice to dispel that notion.

Because if you burn his redshirt now and he ends up not being capable of scoring in March, you just wasted a year of eligibility. Instead, you wait and evaluate his progression before determining what level he’s at heading into the second semester.

Mark Hall, Nick Lee, Aaron Brooks ... none of those guys appeared in the match notes their freshman year until after their shirts were burned. I wonder why Facundo is being treated differently.

ADVERTISEMENT