ADVERTISEMENT

Mat-Town Open II and a Bunch of Other Stuff About Beer, Kerk and Other Wrestling Stuff!

Esslinger Beer was $1.99/six pack at The Brewery in 1983. We would buy them with change found in the furniture.

Around 84-85 we used to regularly buy a case of 16oz. Esslinger beer for around $6.75. Of course we we're also eating generic Mac n Cheese which was about the same quality as the Esslinger.

No way -- one of my all-time favorite memories as a yute came at the hands of Piels!

Loyal and True! ;)
How bout some Olympia or Genny Cream Ale in the 16oz returnable bottles? Stroh’s was a favorite for a while when that dog was fetching them for his owner. Mickey’s Big Mouths and Colt 45 put a hurtin’ in my head. Then it was Old Mud (Old Milwaukee for the uninformed) which seemed to stick the longest. I remember when we used to go to a hole in the wall bar near New Ringgold, Smitty’s and get beer for .25 a glass, no ID required. Oh the good old days!

The bottom of the barrel: Red White and Blue, Falstaff, Brown Derby, Blatz, Schlitz, Schaeffer, Straubs, Piels, Old Style, Gennesee, and Duquesne.

Anyone familiar with the beer Old German? In college, a case was so cheap we could find enough change in our couch cushions to afford a trip to the distributor. Not a great tasting beer, even for college. :eek:

The bottom of the barrel: Red White and Blue, Falstaff, Brown Derby, Blatz, Schlitz, Schaeffer, Straubs, Piels, Old Style, Gennesee, and Duquesne.

Personally, I think Staub is fine. It's more or less local for me, but I'm not typically persuaded by such things. Their dark is actually very good. For cheap garbage beer when we were kids, for me it was Schaeffer, Genny LB (pounders) or Micky's big mouths.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
The Orioles used to promote the heck out of National Bo.

Used to go to a lot of Orioles games in the late 70s and early 80s. They let you bring in coolers with beer (no cans or bottles) and back then we all had 1/2 gallon coolers and cheap beer was 69 cents a quart so $1.40 got you 5 beers and a monster bag on peanuts outside the park was another $1. Good times and the O's were really good back then.

Five bucks a case. Some of the labels were upside down lol. Nasty
Myself and 3 of my buddies drove my Toyota Celica hatchback to New Orleans and saw Penn State beat Georgia for National Championship.
To make sure we had enough money for gas to come home we decided to go cheap on beer. The choice was Dixie. I can tell you the only beer worst than Dixie was;
Dixie Lite:(

Last edited:
Reactions: kevin310
Personally, I think Staub is fine. It's more or less local for me, but I'm not typically persuaded by such things. Their dark is actually very good. For cheap garbage beer when we were kids, for me it was Schaeffer, Genny LB (pounders) or Micky's big mouths.

Agree on the Straub

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Agree on the Straub
Always saw my Uncle drinking Straub at his house in Force, Pa. I thought it was OK until you drank something else during the same sitting... Was hard to go back to. Was always told it was 100% natural so it was good for ya!

How bout some Olympia or Genny Cream Ale in the 16oz returnable bottles? Stroh’s was a favorite for a while when that dog was fetching them for his owner. Mickey’s Big Mouths and Colt 45 put a hurtin’ in my head. Then it was Old Mud (Old Milwaukee for the uninformed) which seemed to stick the longest. I remember when we used to go to a hole in the wall bar near New Ringgold, Smitty’s and get beer for .25 a glass, no ID required. Oh the good old days!

I was big on Stroh's for several years. Colt 45 for a summer. Dabbled w/ Old
Mud -- usually when fishing, to pay homage to the commercials.

Blatz had those 40 ounce bottles...

Haha, forgot about Blatz. I sampled that a few times -- I think with Hamm's, while on a visit to MN one summer.

An ol' fav I haven't seen mentioned: Meister Brau. Because we liked to say/yell "Meistah Broww!!!"

Reactions: danoftw
is there a place to follow this other then bracket on flo? When I click to see the current matches or upcoming matches nothing happens?
I just click results or current results . The brackets should also have the updates . Seems like the tournament is slow inputting results.

Mickey’s Malt

I seem to remember drinking Wide Mouth's in the back of a Ford Ranchero on the way to the Regatta. Very tricky to not spill.

And somewhat serendipitously, now as an old 25% German, I recall relying 100% upon Old German. A case of 24 16oz bottles was very inexpensive once bottle deposit was returned.

so glad I no longer need to go there

Ditto. Now-a-days, 6-pack of 12oz craft beer >> my share of 24 16oz Old Germans. Also, the former lasts much longer, and it's not because the fridge is bigger.

returnable Rocks were best. How about Esquire ponies? Thought Schmidts in bottles wasn't bad - better than schlitz.

I'd like to believe the digestive adversity from the combination of Old German and Ramen Noodles built some kind of intestinal fortitude (but surely I'd be romanticizing).

Reactions: PASLP2
ADVERTISEMENT