ADVERTISEMENT

Massacre of OSU Defensive Assistant Coaches Occurred today -- Many firings

dailybuck777

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2018
New defensive coordinator, Knowles and Ryan Day got rid of all of the assistants except Larry Johnson. With as awful as defense was this year, probably necessary. Interesting what will happen with recruits and current players (who can portal). Watching Utah game, Herbstreit commented LBs didn't even know where to focus. Hate to see former DB coach Kerry Combs go who had such a great record with DBs but poor record as coach of whole defense. Probably necessary, but he was a loyal and decent Buckeye. Link to one thread discussing it. https://www.elevenwarriors.com/foru...28691/let-s-appreciate-what-ryan-day-just-did

Huge gamble by Day who is a risk taker.

I remember rumors a while back that Johnson was going to retire. Guess, he is continuing on. Strange that never wanted to be become a DC.

I think he wanted to be DC at Penn State. he probably came to the realization it was never going to happen at OSU or anywhere else.
My recollection is that Johnson left PSU because he wasn't named head coach. I believe Franklin offered to keep him on as DC, but he left and took the same position at OSU because he was named DC and "assistant head coach", whatever that means. Could be wrong though.

New defensive coordinator, Knowles and Ryan Day got rid of all of the assistants except Larry Johnson. With as awful as defense was this year, probably necessary. Interesting what will happen with recruits and current players (who can portal). Watching Utah game, Herbstreit commented LBs didn't even know where to focus. Hate to see former DB coach Kerry Combs go who had such a great record with DBs but poor record as coach of whole defense. Probably necessary, but he was a loyal and decent Buckeye. Link to one thread discussing it. https://www.elevenwarriors.com/foru...28691/let-s-appreciate-what-ryan-day-just-did

I think losing Combs recruiting DBs will hurt, but perhaps the new guy has a very different scheme and Combs wasn't a fit.

Actually, I believe the OSU defensive problems can be traced back to last year. I still remember a few teams in 2020 lighting up that OSU defense and especially Indiana. Maybe the 2 worst back-to-back defensive teams in decades at OSU. You had to know something like this was going to happen after the end of 2021

My recollection is that Johnson left PSU because he wasn't named head coach. I believe Franklin offered to keep him on as DC, but he left and took the same position at OSU because he was named DC and "assistant head coach", whatever that means. Could be wrong though.
I think you're right. I remember he wanted the HC gig. At this point the guy must be late 60's so he is comfortable doing his thing for the Luckeyes.

Probably can assume bad news for us as they most likely have and will be upgrading their coaches translating to better on field performance. Not a guarantee but you would think so.
Scary to think they had that bad of a defense and were close to making the playoff. We have a down year with the defense and we are 4-8.

Actually, I believe the OSU defensive problems can be traced back to last year. I still remember a few teams in 2020 lighting up that OSU defense and especially Indiana. Maybe the 2 worst back-to-back defensive teams in decades at OSU. You had to know something like this was going to happen after the end of 2021
Combs was the coordinator last year and the defense was terrible, particularly against Alabama. It was also poor against Indiana and Rutgers.

Probably can assume bad news for us as they most likely have and will be upgrading their coaches translating to better on field performance. Not a guarantee but you would think so.
Scary to think they had that bad of a defense and were close to making the playoff. We have a down year with the defense and we are 4-8.
Being totally honest, I can't see how that OSU defense could have been any worse. Their LB play in 2021 was non-existent. Trying to be kind - THE WHOLE DEFENSE SUCKED. Just some bad hires by Ryan Day

I thought he threw in the towel under O'Brien when Butthead was named DC, but I think you're right. I would have liked to have seen one of Joe's assistants get their turn at leading the team....would think even those who were lukewarm about Joe and the opposite with BOB or Franklin would admit it would have been reasonable to easy to match the overall performance of this team since Joe left...except maybe 1 or 2, complaining about and spending on facilities...not sure if that's one or two.
On the positive, I don't mind Buckeyes having upheaval on the defensive side and an offensive-minded coach with a short leash...it always surprises me how a coach who is well thought of with regards to one side of the ball seems to be very limited or clueless on the other side...here's to hoping Day is one such coach. Over the years, OSU has 'surprised' us with the improvement of defensive players between their first game and ours....remember when Gamble got moved to DB from WR. bulked up a bit, and ate our WRs alive on screens...we'll see, may make future games with them a little more interesting.

I thought he threw in the towel under O'Brien when Butthead was named DC, but I think you're right. I would have liked to have seen one of Joe's assistants get their turn at leading the team....would think even those who were lukewarm about Joe and the opposite with BOB or Franklin would admit it would have been reasonable to easy to match the overall performance of this team since Joe left...except maybe 1 or 2, complaining about and spending on facilities...not sure if that's one or two.
On the positive, I don't mind Buckeyes having upheaval on the defensive side and an offensive-minded coach with a short leash...it always surprises me how a coach who is well thought of with regards to one side of the ball seems to be very limited or clueless on the other side...here's to hoping Day is one such coach. Over the years, OSU has 'surprised' us with the improvement of defensive players between their first game and ours....remember when Gamble got moved to DB from WR. bulked up a bit, and ate our WRs alive on screens...we'll see, may make future games with them a little more interesting.
I think with Day at the helm they will always be more offensively oriented. Look at their QB, WRs and RB returning next year. All NFL talent in first couple of rounds.

And why has Hartline not gotten a promotion to move on? You might know it, the one young golden boy coach who is not ascending up the coaching ladder is at our rival making life miserable for us every year in recruiting. Yes, I know we have done well for ourselves at WR but you get my point. Would be nice if he moved on.

I think losing Combs recruiting DBs will hurt, but perhaps the new guy has a very different scheme and Combs wasn't a fit.
OSU hired the guy from Cincinnati who developed both of their All American corner backs who were both lightly recruited coming out of high school. Something like the 600th best player in both instances. One player, Bryant, only weighed 150 lbs. coming out of high school. (Brother of former OSU db Christian Bryant)

Bosa. Bosa, then Chase Young. 3 top DE picks. You didn't have anyone close the last 2 years. Personnel not as talented = drop off. Blame the recruiting.

he was never the DC at Ohio state.

Reactions: bison13

Who cares. Go back to buck nutz.site

I think with Day at the helm they will always be more offensively oriented. Look at their QB, WRs and RB returning next year. All NFL talent in first couple of rounds.

And why has Hartline not gotten a promotion to move on? You might know it, the one young golden boy coach who is not ascending up the coaching ladder is at our rival making life miserable for us every year in recruiting. Yes, I know we have done well for ourselves at WR but you get my point. Would be nice if he moved on.
They just made him passing game coordinator.

But apparently he has stated multiple times that he doesn't really care whether he calls plays or not. He's a guy who loves teaching the craft to players, and being a position coach allows him to do that. We'll see how long that holds, but they pay him handsomely.

They just made him passing game coordinator.

But apparently he has stated multiple times that he doesn't really care whether he calls plays or not. He's a guy who loves teaching the craft to players, and being a position coach allows him to do that. We'll see how long that holds, but they pay him handsomely.
We need some former player like that to come back and just want to stay forever meanwhile he cleans up in recruiting.

Reactions: KC-KS-Lion
OSU also hired Tim Walton, DB coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars. He was a DB at OSU in the early 90s. It will be interesting to see how Walton and Perry Eliano, the former UC DB coach, handle the secondary. OSU needs to get rid of Parker Fleming, special teams coach. That responsibility could be handled by a couple of assistants. I would rather bring in another DL coach since I think LJ will probably hang it up in a year or two. Wouldn't be shocked to see Kerry Coombs end up at UC to replace Eliano.

Bosa. Bosa, then Chase Young. 3 top DE picks. You didn't have anyone close the last 2 years. Personnel not as talented = drop off. Blame the recruiting.
I agree with this. There aren’t any Bosa’s and Young’s on that defense. I don’t think the 5* Sawyer is close to the same league as those guys and Harrison hasn’t lived up to his hype either.

Glad your a buck nutz fan. I’m not why don’t you go with him then I don’t need info about a team I don’t follow. Have fun
No one told you that you needed to click on a thread and read about something that you have no desire to know about. A true Einstein you are.

Yep and PSU never took advantage

Glad your a buck nutz fan. I’m not why don’t you go with him then I don’t need info about a team I don’t follow. Have fun

Not everybody is into CFB the same way, but for those who wish to pay close attention to the game and our conference, you might want to know what's going on at places like Ohio State and Michigan. OSU is the program we're chasing. What happens at OSU is a valid topic of conversation.

And frankly......why did you click on this thread? It was titled appropriately.

The Buckeyes on this site -- Nberg, dailybuck, wolve72, etc. -- mostly seem to be pretty good dudes.

Not the recruiting. Both DEs - Tyreke Smith (high 4 star) and Zach Harrison (5 star) were recruited by everybody including PSU. If anything, it might have been their development.

@dailybuck77 what is the story on LJ? Is he done this offseason? Some Buckeye fans here in Archbold seem to think he is retiring. Waiting until February LOI?
I hope to see him at OH HS FB clinic in February.
Thanks

OL
Haven't heard a thing. He is 70 now and when he retires, it will obviously be a big blow to OSU recruiting and development. As far as I know still recruiting hard.

Reactions: OhioLion
Both Jack Sawyer and J.T. Tuimoloau were 5 star true freshman at DE this year. I think JT was ranked as something like the 3rd best player overall. Even Chase Young didn't get a ton of reps his freshman year. There is a good possibility that both JT and Sawyer will turn out to be really good players. At defensive tackle the recruiting and production have not been great. During the Michigan game one of the announcers indicated that Taron Vincent was being knocked 6 yards backward. Michigan just chewed up the interior of OSU's defensive line.

No one told you that you needed to click on a thread and read about something that you have no desire to know about. A true Einstein you are.
Do you really think these fans would be posting here if PSU kicked their asses every year in football. Glad you enjoy that part I don’t. It’s just my opinion you have yours.

Do you really think these fans would be posting here if PSU kicked their asses every year in football. Glad you enjoy that part I don’t. It’s just my opinion you have yours.
In an otherwise respectful discussion, you have now felt compelled to share your opinion (three times). Once was unnecessary. And your “opinion” has nothing to do with the subject matter of the discussion. You’re simply annoyed that the discussion is taking place . . .

Not everybody is into CFB the same way, but for those who wish to pay close attention to the game and our conference, you might want to know what's going on at places like Ohio State and Michigan. OSU is the program we're chasing. What happens at OSU is a valid topic of conversation.

And frankly......why did you click on this thread? It was titled appropriately.

The Buckeyes on this site -- Nberg, dailybuck, wolve72, etc. -- mostly seem to be pretty good dudes.
All correct.

Except right now, we may be chasing Purdue or Minnesots…one step at a time…

What a f n idiot you are to assume someone enjoy losing to OSU because you are an asshole to some respectful Buckeye posters.

Look in the mirror dude, you are the problem. Don’t like topic, don’t click on thread tool.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT