ADVERTISEMENT

Mason Manville is pretty deep

jtothemfp

Aug 24, 2010
May 8, article on @5PtMove

Lots of great quotes in there, here's one sample:

5PM: That’s where we need to go next. In the past, plenty of this country’s Greco wrestlers were collegiate folkstylers and still managed to compete well internationally, for sure. That line of thinking has gone away, there is now a focus on getting athletes into Greco younger. You make it no secret that you see yourself as a complete wrestler, regardless of style, and have been successful in all three styles. What is it in your estimation that people are misunderstanding about Greco, folkstyle, and this topic?

MM: I think what I said is that I didn’t have a full Greco practice the entire month I had been at the Nittany Lion practices and before that I was hurt. Before that, I was hurt for three or four weeks. My whole point is that wrestling is wrestling. In truth, I think that with all combat sports and martial arts, their philosophies and techniques are intertwined. Not only do I want to become the most complete wrestler, I want to be the most complete combat athlete possible. I think that people get way too caught up in one way and focus on, Oh, I have to train this one style all the time or I won’t get any better, which to me is the wrong way to think. Bruce Lee said, “No way is the way”, meaning no one style, which for him was fighting, is going to make you the best, true warrior

For me, I take that mentality into wrestling. I chop it down to just this corner of the combat sports world and all three styles are intertwined. You can use techniques, to varying degrees — you do have to curtail them a little bit to fit the rules — but pretty much every technique can be used in all of the styles if you are clever enough to work them in. Sometimes, my trap-arm gut is literally a cross-wrist roll-through. I remember in the finals of the Greco Pan Ams my second year, I hit a cross-wrist roll-through to tech him out (laughs). I brought my folkstyle training into the finals of the Greco Pan Ams and tech’ed him out using a cross-wrist roll-through because it was there.

I really think, for me at least, it doesn’t matter. As long as I focus on skills that are universal, that’s the most important part. As long as I hit on all of the fundamental skills that I need to, the style doesn’t matter.

... Bruce Lee said, “No way is the way”, meaning no one style, which for him was fighting, is going to make you the best, true warrior ...
I remember re-reading Bruce Lee's book in college and realizing that the culmination of his life's work was to throw off the tyranny of styles and to rediscover science, to rediscover what was already there in plain view in wrestling. My realization that wrestling already had what Bruce Lee discovered did not diminish his achievement to me. It made me realize how great wrestling was, and how hard it is to throw off doctrine and status quo.

Last edited:
I remember re-reading Bruce Lee's book in college and realizing that the culmination of his life's work was to throw off the tyranny of styles and to rediscover science, to rediscover what was already there in plain view in wrestling. My realization that wrestling already had what Bruce Lee discovered did not diminish his achievement to me. It made me realize how great wrestling was, and how hard it is to throw off doctrine and status quo.

I'm gonna label this post "Dog Welder is Pretty Deep" ;)

Great find, jto!! Thanks...

I've been putting off following @5PtMove, mostly b/c my level of GR ignorance is so high (which brings my interest down), despite many recommendations as to their quality of coverage & written word.

Finally rectified that today.

Here's another one cuz they're all so freakin good...

Get you a girl who looks at you like Mason Manville looks at Penn State:

5PM: What is it about Penn State and this chapter in your life coming up if you were to take a step back and just look at it for a second?

MM: I think it’s going to be the greatest jumping boards for growth in my life. I think Sem was a big growing point for my life and I think Penn State is going to be a big growing point as a human being, not just as a wrestler. Not just as a wrestler, but as a human being, as a scholar, as an athlete, and as a leader. I am going into the RTC program, so I am going to have a lot of responsibilities with that. And then I am going to be part of one of the greatest wrestling programs of all time. Hopefully, I am going to get into the Penn State Business School and have one of the best educations in the nation. I am deeply honored to be a part of it and be part of such a great community and environment where I can thrive and grow. If I do all of the right things and do my job, I think it will really turn my life out for the better, so I’m really excited for it.

Here's another one cuz they're all so freakin good...

Get you a girl who looks at you like Mason Manville looks at Penn State:

5PM: What is it about Penn State and this chapter in your life coming up if you were to take a step back and just look at it for a second?

MM: I think it’s going to be the greatest jumping boards for growth in my life. I think Sem was a big growing point for my life and I think Penn State is going to be a big growing point as a human being, not just as a wrestler. Not just as a wrestler, but as a human being, as a scholar, as an athlete, and as a leader. I am going into the RTC program, so I am going to have a lot of responsibilities with that. And then I am going to be part of one of the greatest wrestling programs of all time. Hopefully, I am going to get into the Penn State Business School and have one of the best educations in the nation. I am deeply honored to be a part of it and be part of such a great community and environment where I can thrive and grow. If I do all of the right things and do my job, I think it will really turn my life out for the better, so I’m really excited for it.
I honestly wish I had been that mature at his age. Well spoken young man.

May 8, article on @5PtMove

Lots of great quotes in there, here's one sample:

5PM: That’s where we need to go next. In the past, plenty of this country’s Greco wrestlers were collegiate folkstylers and still managed to compete well internationally, for sure. That line of thinking has gone away, there is now a focus on getting athletes into Greco younger. You make it no secret that you see yourself as a complete wrestler, regardless of style, and have been successful in all three styles. What is it in your estimation that people are misunderstanding about Greco, folkstyle, and this topic?

MM: I think what I said is that I didn’t have a full Greco practice the entire month I had been at the Nittany Lion practices and before that I was hurt. Before that, I was hurt for three or four weeks. My whole point is that wrestling is wrestling. In truth, I think that with all combat sports and martial arts, their philosophies and techniques are intertwined. Not only do I want to become the most complete wrestler, I want to be the most complete combat athlete possible. I think that people get way too caught up in one way and focus on, Oh, I have to train this one style all the time or I won’t get any better, which to me is the wrong way to think. Bruce Lee said, “No way is the way”, meaning no one style, which for him was fighting, is going to make you the best, true warrior

For me, I take that mentality into wrestling. I chop it down to just this corner of the combat sports world and all three styles are intertwined. You can use techniques, to varying degrees — you do have to curtail them a little bit to fit the rules — but pretty much every technique can be used in all of the styles if you are clever enough to work them in. Sometimes, my trap-arm gut is literally a cross-wrist roll-through. I remember in the finals of the Greco Pan Ams my second year, I hit a cross-wrist roll-through to tech him out (laughs). I brought my folkstyle training into the finals of the Greco Pan Ams and tech’ed him out using a cross-wrist roll-through because it was there.

I really think, for me at least, it doesn’t matter. As long as I focus on skills that are universal, that’s the most important part. As long as I hit on all of the fundamental skills that I need to, the style doesn’t matter.
Mason has a lot of Matt Brown in him....

Sounds like a young man with his head on straight! PSU is a great place for you!

Altons, Nevills, Lee, and Manville.

Wrestling families are beginning to sign up with the Nits, too.

Here's another one cuz they're all so freakin good ...
Here's another excerpt:

5PM: It’s the way you did it. That’s one thing that does stick out about you, you never stop moving, you just never stop moving, and you didn’t in those matches. You were creating angles and getting in and around [Kamal] a lot. How much of your past experience working out with him played a role in your strategy?

MM: From working out with him, I kind of had a grasp on what his gameplan was. Obviously, after wrestling with a dude for so long you can tell their twitches. But I actually never beat Kamal in practice. Ever. He would always beat me. I think really, it was just the path [sic] month I got to train up at Penn State in the Nittany Lion club room. The hand-fighting with (Frank) Molinaro, Zain Retherford, and Vincenzo Joseph, they’re heavy-handed and that really prepared me for the pummel. ...

Altons, Nevills, Lee, and Manville.

Wrestling families are beginning to sign up with the Nits, too.
FULL COURT PRESS ON RUTH !!!! WILL BE BETTER THAN HIS BROTHER !!!! 4X CHAMP !!!! BOOK IT !!!!

Reactions: Hotshoe
Said it last year after his interview that was posted on BWI. Mason has all of the characteristics and attitude to succeed as a Nittany Lion. Anyone who doubts his fit or potential isn't listen to him when he speaks. Excited for him to get on the mat!

There is the sense reading this interview watching DT's FLO doc, listening to our present champs that the PSU way approaches a sort of wrestling Zen in which you are not attached to form as much as you are striving to apply principle. They "play" out endless situations (forms) so that regardless of the form the moment takes ( the position they are wrestling through) they are able to flow confidently into an appropriate response. This seems to be the aim of their preparation, the ability to respond from sound principle as opposed to trying to force a particular move.

Reactions: jtothemfp
There is the sense reading this interview watching DT's FLO doc, listening to our present champs that the PSU way approaches a sort of wrestling Zen in which you are not attached to form as much as you are striving to apply principle. They "play" out endless situations (forms) so that regardless of the form the moment takes ( the position they are wrestling through) they are able to flow confidently into an appropriate response. This seems to be the aim of their preparation, the ability to respond from sound principle as opposed to trying to force a particular move.
Which is to say that Cael is using the method of a spiritual practice to prepare his wrestlers for life on and off the mat.

"PSUisawesome Is Pretty Deep"

For real, tho, I agree. Really dig this part: "in which you are not attached to form as much as you are striving to apply principle."

Philosophy is contagious!

Reactions: hlstone
Mason is just the latest example of the quality young men that Cael and company are attracting to Penn State. Based on his interview, Mason's primary focus is becoming the best version of himself that he can become. This includes character development, leadership, discipline, and the pursuit of excellence in all aspects of his life, much like so many of the current wrestlers at Penn State.I believe that not only will Mason become a cornerstone of the future success of Penn State's wrestling, but he will become a team leader as well as another example of why future recruits (hopefully including his brother Carson) will choose Penn State. We are developing champions in life, not just in wrestling. What a blessing to be part of this. I am grateful, and having fun!

MM: ... The hand-fighting with (Frank) Molinaro, Zain Retherford, and Vincenzo Joseph, they’re heavy-handed and that really prepared me for the pummel. ...
That reminds me. Vincenzo after NCAAs said his main area of improvement before NCAAs that helped with wrestling IMar was in the area of hand fighting. All these guys just help each other.

ADVERTISEMENT