ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland Trip Report

Wandering Spectator

Dec 17, 2017
Chandler, AZ
www.wanderingspectator.com
I just finished writing up our trip to Maryland. I have to say, the campus was much nicer than I expected. Very clean. Hilly. Well maintained. Great looking buildings and quad. The stadium is small but that that just means there aren’t many bad seats. We stayed in DC and used the Metro to get around. DC was a ghost town but we also commented on how clean it was. Overall, a great trip to College Park and DC - and a win!

Here’s the full writeup.

Maryland was one of three schools we toured with our then high-school senior last year. We were all impressed with Maryland's campus and the school in general. I would've been perfectly content had he chosen Maryland, and I REALLY liked his other option of Michigan State. That's a beautiful campus and a great school.

But in the end, his first choice remained PSU and he's enjoying his first year up there tremendously.

Maryland was one of three schools we toured with our then high-school senior last year. We were all impressed with Maryland's campus and the school in general. I would've been perfectly content had he chosen Maryland, and I REALLY liked his other option of Michigan State. That's a beautiful campus and a great school.

But in the end, his first choice remained PSU and he's enjoying his first year up there tremendously.
Hard to top Penn State, but there are some other beautiful campuses around for sure. We thought Maryland would be more of a city campus, but it happily surprised us.

Reactions: yeahtoasty
I just finished writing up our trip to Maryland. I have to say, the campus was much nicer than I expected. Very clean. Hilly. Well maintained. Great looking buildings and quad. The stadium is small but that that just means there aren’t many bad seats. We stayed in DC and used the Metro to get around. DC was a ghost town but we also commented on how clean it was. Overall, a great trip to College Park and DC - and a win!

Here’s the full writeup.

Nice write up! Looks like you made the most of your trip; I don't know if still the case, but the Trump Hotel used to have a Starbucks in/next to it for quick coffees. Definitely think you made the right choice though going inside. I still want to try the bar and restaurant at some point. Great that staff is trained on the history of the building too. Bible Museum is relatively new and one of the few who charge I think; need to check that out as well. Thanks for sharing!

Nice write up! Looks like you made the most of your trip; I don't know if still the case, but the Trump Hotel used to have a Starbucks in/next to it for quick coffees. Definitely think you made the right choice though going inside. I still want to try the bar and restaurant at some point. Great that staff is trained on the history of the building too. Bible Museum is relatively new and one of the few who charge I think; need to check that out as well. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks... We didn't see the Starbucks but would have passed on that anyway. The restaurant inside is a BLT - they have locations all over the world so it's more "chain" and not unique. I'm sure it's great, but I prefer unique.

Thanks... We didn't see the Starbucks but would have passed on that anyway. The restaurant inside is a BLT - they have locations all over the world so it's more "chain" and not unique. I'm sure it's great, but I prefer unique.

Ah right; forgot Jose Andres bailed.

Did not make the trip this past year, but did the prior two games in College Park. Honestly, we won those games by 40 plus both times, so there really was no atmosphere. I just remember there wasn't really a great deal of parking/tailgating (at least what I saw)

Any campus where if you cross the street at the wrong place, you're in the ghetto...is an awful campus.
The campus itself is fine. Maybe equivalent to MSU or NCSU. The town (College Park) is horrible. I'm there a fair amount and it is the exact opposite of what you want in a college town. So yes, DC is easy to get to my metro but that's the same sort of college experience at the Rutgers kids going out in NYC every weekend. Maybe that's what some kids want, but not for me.

ADVERTISEMENT