ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland paid their head trainer $315,000 to resign

tboyer

Sep 25, 2002
just incredible. The guy most connected to the player abuse, the guy who was most clearly responsible for the death of a player.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...869fe70a721_story.html?utm_term=.07cc5781b4f7

As someone pointed out, is this really that different from the PSU fraternity that had their pledge die following a hazing ritual? It was the same deal, a young kid is in medical distress and nobody calls 911, so the kid dies. Well at PSU there were manslaughter charges against the frat brothers.

Where's the criminal investigation into the Maryland coaching staff? Instead the trainer -- the guy most responsible -- gets a $315,000 buyout.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and BBrown
just incredible. The guy most connected to the player abuse, the guy who was most clearly responsible for the death of a player.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...869fe70a721_story.html?utm_term=.07cc5781b4f7

As someone pointed out, is this really that different from the PSU fraternity that had their pledge die following a hazing ritual? It was the same deal, a young kid is in medical distress and nobody calls 911, so the kid dies. Well at PSU there were manslaughter charges against the frat brothers.

Where's the criminal investigation into the Maryland coaching staff? Instead the trainer -- the guy most responsible -- gets a $315,000 buyout.
there is no doubt this is a tragedy all the way around, that said, has there been an official cause of death released? Right now all I have seen is ESPN saying it was heat stroke, which on the surface is probably correct, but I would like someone like a medical examiner say that as opposed to ESPN, I just dont trust them.

No official cause of death has been released, but ESPN reported Friday that he died of heatstroke

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rapins-football-culture-toxic-coach-dj-durkin

They probably didn't pay him to resign, they probably paid him to get him to sign a non-disclosure, non-disparage and to give up an civil action he had available to him. I read the article and, taking away the kid's death, the rest of the accusations are pretty ho-hum. He knocked somebody's lunch tray out of their hand? Football camps are pretty abusive places. Things are accepted there that you'd never get away with in other environments.

I think that CJF is, actually, the model coach today and we are lucky to have him. The current PSU system appears to be so positive in terms of how they motivate. I am sure there are some nasty comments from time to time, but comparing PSU to tOSU, Michigan and the like...PSU appears to be head and shoulders above.

They probably didn't pay him to resign, they probably paid him to get him to sign a non-disclosure, non-disparage and to give up an civil action he had available to him. I read the article and, taking away the kid's death, the rest of the accusations are pretty ho-hum. He knocked somebody's lunch tray out of their hand? Football camps are pretty abusive places. Things are accepted there that you'd never get away with in other environments.

I think that CJF is, actually, the model coach today and we are lucky to have him. The current PSU system appears to be so positive in terms of how they motivate. I am sure there are some nasty comments from time to time, but comparing PSU to tOSU, Michigan and the like...PSU appears to be head and shoulders above.
Exactly, this is a bargain to get him to agree to keep his mouth shut and shield them from at least some of the potential civil actions.

Exactly, this is a bargain to get him to agree to keep his mouth shut and shield them from at least some of the potential civil actions.

What these two said

Reactions: N&B4PSU

I don't know, I've never been in one, no doubt football camps are tough. But from what I've been reading/hearing, emotional abuse and using humiliation as a motivational tactic -- that is actually very uncommon. The lunch tray was one example. Moving a kid's locker, all his gear, into the showers to ridicule him? Forcing someone to eat candy bars in front of the team until he pukes? This isn't training, it's hazing. Even the Marines don't do this sort of thing any more, because it doesn't work. I suspect it's not the work of coaches who are pushing boundaries to get the best out of their players -- I think it's a sign of coaches who have absolutely no idea how player development works.

You look at what Durkin did -- he brought in two excellent recruiting classes, but Maryland on the field last year was terrible, and got worse as the year went on. Everybody gave him a free pass because of the injuries at QB, but at least the Maryland team I saw against Penn State was an embarrassment -- poorly prepared in every way. And that was late in the season when the young players should have been showing some improvement.

The reactions of DiNardo and Howard Griffith the other day on BTN were really interesting. I expected them to be kind of neutral, kind of "wait and see" given that Maryland is a B1G school and they work for the B1G. But they didn't minimize the ESPN report one bit, they said abuse and humilation tactics are out of bounds and have always been out of bounds. Basically said if the ESPN report is true (and they both seemed to believe it) then Durkin has no business being a football coach. Griffith seemed to be particularly offended.

Last edited:
Whether there has been a cause of death released or not, for the University to accept all legal and moral responsibility they know exactly what happened and that they are at fault and they could have prevented this young man's death.

I don't know, I've never been in one, no doubt football campus are tough. But from what I've been reading/hearing, emotional abuse and using humiliation as a motivational tactic -- that is actually very uncommon. The lunch tray was one example. Moving a kid's locker, all his gear, into the showers to ridicule him? Forcing someone to eat candy bars in front of the team until he pukes? This isn't training, it's hazing. Even the Marines don't do this sort of thing any more, because it doesn't work. I suspect it's not the work of coaches who are pushing boundaries to get the best out of their players -- I think it's a sign of coaches who have absolutely no idea how player development works.

You look at what Durkin did -- he brought in two excellent recruiting classes, but Maryland on the field last year was terrible, and got worse as the year went on. Everybody gave him a free pass because of the injuries at QB, but at least the Maryland team I saw against Penn State was an embarrassment -- poorly prepared in every way. And that was late in the season when the young players should have been showing some improvement.

The reactions of DiNardo and Howard Griffith the other day on BTN were really interesting. I expected them to be kind of neutral, kind of "wait and see" given that Maryland is a B1G school and they work for the B1G. But they didn't minimize the ESPN report one bit, they said abuse and humilation tactics are out of bounds and have always been out of bounds. Basically said if the ESPN report is true (and they both seemed to believe it) then Durkin has no business being a football coach. Griffith seemed to be particularly offended.

Key words are "if the ESPN report is true"...some of the report sounded horrific but others just seemed like petty complaints...maybe the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Maybe it's as bad or even worse than the article indicated. Going to be difficult to figure out where the truth lies IMO

Agree. I said this in another post but how in the hell do you let a guy resign AND give him a 315k after killing someone? He should have been fired and probably should be in jail.

That and Maryland doesn't want to fire him for cause if it anticipates, as I suspect it does, legal action against it.

I don't know, I've never been in one, no doubt football campus are tough. But from what I've been reading/hearing, emotional abuse and using humiliation as a motivational tactic -- that is actually very uncommon. The lunch tray was one example. Moving a kid's locker, all his gear, into the showers to ridicule him? Forcing someone to eat candy bars in front of the team until he pukes? This isn't training, it's hazing. Even the Marines don't do this sort of thing any more, because it doesn't work. I suspect it's not the work of coaches who are pushing boundaries to get the best out of their players -- I think it's a sign of coaches who have absolutely no idea how player development works.

Maybe....I've seen a lot of videos posted from Meyer's tOSU program. I've seen contest between kids where the loser was ridiculed by players and coaches alike. Name calling, shunning, "joking".....its hard to see what is in and out of bounds.

BTN is going to take the politically correct view. I don't see a lot of programs giving out participation trophies to kids that aren't working out.

One of the tweets about Court essentially said his separation agreement included various legal waivers.

McCann chimes in. I did wonder what the president of MD was thinking by taking "full responsibility" on behalf of the university. I mean, its like writing a blank check. A typical company would lie, cheat and steal before admitting guilt. I guess its not their money but the university's endowment, just like PSU. Over the long term, you have to wonder about their commitment to football, given the expense and opportunity costs in building a winning program that makes money.

Maryland's Admission in Death of Jordan McNair and the Massive Legal Consequences

some of you might want to read 'Meat on the Roof', about Texas football written in 1972!! Now does any of this sound familiar?

As a UT assistant, Culpepper also played a prominent role in Gary Shaw’s Meat on the Hoof, the 1972 book that kicked the first large dent in Darrell’s expertly chiseled public image. Shaw, a reserve guard in the mid-sixties, portrayed Culpepper as a screaming fanatic in charge of the brutal “shit drills” designed to discipline uncooperative players and chase off others whose scholarships were needed for the next class of recruits.

this is why the football scholarships went from 4 years to 1 yr renewals, so teams did have these drills designed to run off players.
it's an interesting read.

McCann chimes in. I did wonder what the president of MD was thinking by taking "full responsibility" on behalf of the university. I mean, its like writing a blank check. A typical company would lie, cheat and steal before admitting guilt. I guess its not their money but the university's endowment, just like PSU. Over the long term, you have to wonder about their commitment to football, given the expense and opportunity costs in building a winning program that makes money.

Maryland's Admission in Death of Jordan McNair and the Massive Legal Consequences

>>Over the long term, you have to wonder about their commitment to football, given the expense and opportunity costs in building a winning program that makes money.<<

I think Kevin Plank's commitment was off the charts to start with...not so sure where its at now.
Besides he's got his own problems to worry about.

Reactions: Obliviax
>>Over the long term, you have to wonder about their commitment to football, given the expense and opportunity costs in building a winning program that makes money.<<

I think Kevin Plank's commitment was off the charts to start with...not so sure where its at now.
Besides he's got his own problems to worry about.
Yeah, agree. When MD joined the B1G, they seemed to make a renewed commitment to football. Yet, administers always seem to think sustained success is so easy. It takes a ton of money in stadium, practice facilities, weight room, locker room, coaching staff, equipment, travel, PR, marketing, etc. Tons of schools have tried, few have gained sustained success. I was wondering, out loud, if MD just figures "screw it, lets be a basketball school and just rake in our share of the football revenue as cannon fodder for the big football schools".

Yeah, agree. When MD joined the B1G, they seemed to make a renewed commitment to football. Yet, administers always seem to think sustained success is so easy. It takes a ton of money in stadium, practice facilities, weight room, locker room, coaching staff, equipment, travel, PR, marketing, etc. Tons of schools have tried, few have gained sustained success. I was wondering, out loud, if MD just figures "screw it, lets be a basketball school and just rake in our share of the football revenue as cannon fodder for the big football schools".

I think you might have been on to something but their BBall program is a shell of its former self.
I know a lot of MD fans who are not happy at all about the direction of the bball program.

I guess they can be known as a Woman's bball school and Lacrosse School. LOL.

Franklin certainly seems to care for the well being of his players but I think it's unfair to suggest that other coaches don't. It only takes one tragedy like this to occur before all the finger pointing starts.

Years ago several high school players died from dehydration and there was a renewed focus on water breaks. I've got to believe that virtually every major college football program has guidelines about this as well as how to respond to players in distress. It will be interesting to see what more we learn as this investigation proceeds.

That's a good piece, some good lawyerly analysis.
But I don't see how Maryland would have defended a wrongful death suit anyway. It was a supervised workout, there were trainers on site, and NFL and college trainers have known all about heatstroke since 2001 when Korey Stringer died.

The only question is whether it's true as ESPN alleges nobody called 911 for an hour, and nobody tried to cool him down. If both those things are true, then Maryland would be toast. The only possible way they could defend themselves is if they can show they 911 promptly and started cooling procedures as soon as he showed heatstroke symptoms. Looks like they already know the answer to those questions -- they probably knew the answers within 24 hours, so why so long to apologize.

Franklin certainly seems to care for the well being of his players but I think it's unfair to suggest that other coaches don't. It only takes one tragedy like this to occur before all the finger pointing starts.

Years ago several high school players died from dehydration and there was a renewed focus on water breaks. I've got to believe that virtually every major college football program has guidelines about this as well as how to respond to players in distress. It will be interesting to see what more we learn as this investigation proceeds.

Yeah, really the verbal abuse of players and heatstroke death are separate issues. A coach could be abusive as hell and still look out for the physical health of the players. One doesn't necessarily lead to another. But it might in the public's mind. Having those two things present in this case does make it uglier for Maryland. Maybe Durkin could survive one or the other but not both.

That's a good piece, some good lawyerly analysis.
But I don't see how Maryland would have defended a wrongful death suit anyway. It was a supervised workout, there were trainers on site, and NFL and college trainers have known all about heatstroke since 2001 when Korey Stringer died.

The only question is whether it's true as ESPN alleges nobody called 911 for an hour, and nobody tried to cool him down. If both those things are true, then Maryland would be toast. The only possible way they could defend themselves is if they can show they 911 promptly and started cooling procedures as soon as he showed heatstroke symptoms. Looks like they already know the answer to those questions -- they probably knew the answers within 24 hours, so why so long to apologize.

I have lived in Maryland for 20 years, and always wear Penn State stuff, and have magnets on my truck like many. My perception has been, there is a general disdain for PSU, maybe due to their understanding of the overall record when we've pasted on them...(38-2). I will never forget being at a swim meet in 2012 when it was pouring, and I had my PS golf umbrella up, and some douchebag told me I should be ashamed to be holding that.

For which I told him to f### off, in hushed tones as to not embarrass my child.

UM is a basketball school, and football wannabee. Their women's sports programs are stellar...and have enhanced that B10 womens' experience. But I feel a general sense of schadenfreude, for the ridicule I experienced during the Sandusky shit. And feel it for all the other B10 sanctimonious blowhards who are now embroiled in their respective "scandals".

Not to beat a dead horse, but the lack of outcry from Emmert and Delaney is deafening. I wish we were independent, and picking and choosing our independent football schedule like the old days. The B10 football club has never embraced PSU, and we have too much to offer. I don't care about our power rankings, I hope the misconstruants (MSU, OSU, UM) go down hard.

But they won't.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
I have lived in Maryland for 20 years, and always wear Penn State stuff, and have magnets on my truck like many. My perception has been, there is a general disdain for PSU, maybe due to their understanding of the overall record when we've pasted on them...(38-2). I will never forget being at a swim meet in 2012 when it was pouring, and I had my PS golf umbrella up, and some douchebag told me I should be ashamed to be holding that.

For which I told him to f### off, in hushed tones as to not embarrass my child.

UM is a basketball school, and football wannabee. Their women's sports programs are stellar...and have enhanced that B10 womens' experience. But I feel a general sense of schadenfreude, for the ridicule I experienced during the Sandusky shit. And feel it for all the other B10 sanctimonious blowhards who are now embroiled in their respective "scandals".

Not to beat a dead horse, but the lack of outcry from Emmert and Delaney is deafening. I wish we were independent, and picking and choosing our independent football schedule like the old days. The B10 football club has never embraced PSU, and we have too much to offer. I don't care about our power rankings, I hope the misconstruants (MSU, OSU, UM) go down hard.

But they won't.

Interesting. What part of MD do you live in?
I've lived in Baltimore (area) for roughly 30 years. I have PSU t-shirts, sweat shirts and hats I wear all the time and a PSU Alum license plate holder and no one has ever said anything to me or in earshot of me about it. I've actually had more people come up to me and say they think we were railroaded than than anything.
Frankly I find more PSU fans in this area than MD fans. Maybe its different in and around College Park but I have had similar experiences in DC and Norther VA.

Interesting. What part of MD do you live in?
I've lived in Baltimore (area) for roughly 30 years. I have PSU t-shirts, sweat shirts and hats I wear all the time and a PSU Alum license plate holder and no one has ever said anything to me or in earshot of me about it. I've actually had more people come up to me and say they think we were railroaded than than anything.
Frankly I find more PSU fans in this area than MD fans. Maybe its different in and around College Park but I have had similar experiences in DC and Norther VA.

Westminster BBrown. Total hard on for MD and that ugly flag they fly all over the place, ...but I give credit for state pride.

Westminster is a town where nobody moves from, we're the exception moving in. Even though we're only 20 miles from Gettysburg, and PSU territory, its interesting to me that we've been a northern pariah.

I've embraced the role as that pariah, Eagles fan, and PSU zealot..

Jabrill Peppers piled on today a bit. hard to believe the HC hasn't been fired yet:

Comments on the rich eisen show...
“Coach Durkin, he was a different guy, you know what I mean. His tactics were different,” Peppers said. “It felt extreme at times. I’m just as shocked reading all the stuff that’s going on now. I thought he was only like that because it was his first time coaching us. He was the defensive coordinator so he was just trying to get us to buy-in to how he wants his defense to play. I thought once he became a head coach that he would calm down a little bit, become more of a people person, a player’s coach.

“But I wasn’t really following him once he left, because a couple of the guys with myself, we didn’t like how everything went down when he left. But I’m just as shocked reading the stuff that I’m seeing as well.”

Julius Peppers piled on today a bit. hard to believe the HC hasn't been fired yet:

Comments on the rich eisen show...
“Coach Durkin, he was a different guy, you know what I mean. His tactics were different,” Peppers said. “It felt extreme at times. I’m just as shocked reading all the stuff that’s going on now. I thought he was only like that because it was his first time coaching us. He was the defensive coordinator so he was just trying to get us to buy-in to how he wants his defense to play. I thought once he became a head coach that he would calm down a little bit, become more of a people person, a player’s coach.

“But I wasn’t really following him once he left, because a couple of the guys with myself, we didn’t like how everything went down when he left. But I’m just as shocked reading the stuff that I’m seeing as well.”
I think you may have the wrong Peppers....Peter Piper

"Sacca, you are the worst quarterback ever at Penn State!"

That was pretty harsh.

"Sacca, you are the worst quarterback ever at Penn State!"

That was pretty harsh.
tumblr_ocsj0wIpHx1tf8a5ao1_500.gif

ADVERTISEMENT