ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Hall and 174 Predictions

dmm53

Feb 4, 2017
We get to see Mark Hall vs. Zahid Valencia (round 4) early this season in December. The top recruit of 2015 vs. the top recruit of 2016. NCAA champ vs. NCAA champ. Lots on the line, including likely #1 seeding for the rest of the season. It should be a great measure of where both these guys stand. Who has upped their game even more? Will Mr. Hall be rested and ready to even the series? The match against ASU is at Wreck Hall ... further motivation, inspiration . . . and potential advantage? (Valencia wrestled against Dake at Penn State in the freestyle Final X this past summer.)

In the meantime, in between-time, here are FLO's (specifically Nomad's) predictions for 174:
  1. Zahid Valencia, Arizona State
  2. Mark Hall, Penn State
  3. Myles Amine, Michigan
  4. Michael Kemerer, Iowa
  5. David McFadden, Virginia Tech
  6. Jordan Kutler, Lehigh
  7. Chandler Rogers, Oklahoma State
  8. Daniel Lewis, Missouri

Key top 10 matchups this season at 174:

Nov. 16th: Lehigh at Michigan (Kutler vs Amine)

Dec. 2nd: Lehigh at Penn State (Kutler vs Hall)

Dec. 8th: Lehigh at Iowa (Kutler vs Kemerer)

Dec. 14th: Arizona State at Penn State (Valencia vs Hall)

Dec. 29th: Missouri vs Lehigh (Lewis vs Kutler)

Jan. 5th: Michigan at Arizona State (Amine vs Valencia)

Jan. 26th: Arizona State at Lehigh (Valencia vs Kutler)

Feb. 1st: Michigan at Penn State (Amine vs Hall)

Feb. 8th: Missouri at Arizona State (Lewis vs Valencia)

Feb. 16th: Oklahoma State at Missouri (Rogers vs Lewis)

Feb. 24th: Iowa at Oklahoma State (Rogers vs Kemerer)

FLO's 174 rankings:
Rank Grade Name School Previous Rank

1 JR Zahid Valencia Arizona State 1
2 JR Mark Hall Penn State 2
3 JR Myles Amine Michigan 3
4 SR Daniel Lewis Missouri 4
5 JR David McFadden Virginia Tech 5 (165)
6 JR Michael Kemerer Iowa 4 (157)
7 JR Jordan Kutler Lehigh 6
8 SR Chandler Rogers OK State 8 (165)
9 JR Taylor Lujan UNI 9
10 JR Dylan Lydy Purdue 11
11 FR Mikey Labriola Nebraska NR
12 JR Ben Harvey Army 12
13 SR Te'Shan Campbell Ohio State 15 (165)
14 SR Johnny Sebastian Northwestern 14
15 JR Drew Hughes Michigan State NR
16 SR Ryan Christensen Wisconsin NR
17 SR Brandon Womack Cornell NR
18 SO Daniel Bullard NC State 20
19 SO Matt Finesilver Duke NR
20 JR Devin Skatzka Minnesota NR

Minor correction, but Zahid wasn't the #1 recruit in 2015. Anthony was.

IIRC Zahid was the #4 recruit behind Logan Massa and Myles Martin. Probably because he hit a major growth spurt (as in, went up from the 126-132 range in 1 year) and nobody knew what weight he'd end up at.

I think Hayes and Cenzo were the next 2 guys that year.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Minor correction, but Zahid wasn't the #1 recruit in 2015. Anthony was.

IIRC Zahid was the #4 recruit behind Logan Massa and Myles Martin. Probably because he hit a major growth spurt (as in, went up from the 126-132 range in 1 year) and nobody knew what weight he'd end up at.

I think Hayes and Cenzo were the next 2 guys that year.

You seem to be right, at least according to Intermat's rankings. Clearly Zahid was the better bet than Anthony and Cenzo the better bet than Massa despite lower rankings.

http://www.d1collegewrestling.net/Top150_2015.html

Interesting that Intermat lists Jan Johnson as #37 overall and as committed to Kent State for football.

You seem to be right, at least according to Intermat's rankings. Clearly Zahid was the better bet than Anthony and Cenzo the better bet than Massa despite lower rankings.

http://www.d1collegewrestling.net/Top150_2015.html

Interesting that Intermat lists Jan Johnson as #37 overall and as committed to Kent State for football.
That sounds around the right range for Johnson at the time -- and he did commit to Kent State before getting a preferred walk-on offer from PSU.

Pretty sure Zahid was Flo’s #1 overall recruit. And I think most believed he was the better recruit

I also recall Mark Hall handled Anthony with ease at WNO ....

Pretty sure Zahid was Flo’s #1 overall recruit. And I think most believed he was the better recruit

I also recall Mark Hall handled Anthony with ease at WNO ....

The #1 overall recruit that year was definitely Anthony. Until Hall waxed him that is. If you watch the match with Anthony...….they even mention it. Myles Martin was the #1 recruit at 184....Zahid was #2 at 184. After WNO.....Hall became the #1 recruit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogwelder
174 is LOADED + DEEEEP this year.

Full of JR & SR + Labriola.

Gonna be a very entertaining weight.

I'm also wondering if Kemerer isn't ranked a bit too high at the beginning of the season, given that he is jumping two weight classes this year. Yes, he's good, but he's also not wrestled two weight classes up yet in college.

The difference in the two High School recruiting rankings (Flo and D1CW) show the challenges of rating guys before hitting the college scene, and a D1 wrestling room. Yet it's not horrible either. Both services, for the most part, have the same guys, just that the orders can be pretty dramatic in their differences.

Arizona State, in 2015, had #1, 2, 21, 29, and 62 in Flo's Ranking, while D1CW had their guys, #1, 3, 10, 13, and 55. Differences, especially in the 10-30 range, but the order was similar, while Zahid and Andrew were flipped (Zahid higher in Flo, Andrew in D1CW).

Okie State had #7, 10, 24, 28, 71 in Flo's Ranking, while D1CW had them #7, 9, 16, 42, and 65, but with more differences. The order with Flo's Ranking was; Smith, Brock, Piccininni, Lewallen, Marsden, while D1CW has; Picc,Brock, Smith, Lewallen, and Marsden.

Wrestling on the national scene varies greatly for high schoolers, then one never knows how an 18 year old kid will adapt to college, including the academic, social, and athletic aspects. Any one of those can derail college success.

I believe both do a pretty decent job, given the circumstances. Hindsight, of course, is 20-20. At the time they're released...not bad at all.

Reactions: goStanford18
The difference in the two High School recruiting rankings (Flo and D1CW) show the challenges of rating guys before hitting the college scene, and a D1 wrestling room. Yet it's not horrible either. Both services, for the most part, have the same guys, just that the orders can be pretty dramatic in their differences.

Arizona State, in 2015, had #1, 2, 21, 29, and 62 in Flo's Ranking, while D1CW had their guys, #1, 3, 10, 13, and 55. Differences, especially in the 10-30 range, but the order was similar, while Zahid and Andrew were flipped (Zahid higher in Flo, Andrew in D1CW).

Okie State had #7, 10, 24, 28, 71 in Flo's Ranking, while D1CW had them #7, 9, 16, 42, and 65, but with more differences. The order with Flo's Ranking was; Smith, Brock, Piccininni, Lewallen, Marsden, while D1CW has; Picc,Brock, Smith, Lewallen, and Marsden.

Wrestling on the national scene varies greatly for high schoolers, then one never knows how an 18 year old kid will adapt to college, including the academic, social, and athletic aspects. Any one of those can derail college success.

I believe both do a pretty decent job, given the circumstances. Hindsight, of course, is 20-20. At the time they're released...not bad at all.

Roar, I haven't been able to find D1CW's rankings beyond 2016. Do you know if they stopped ranking in 16?

Last edited:
Roar, I haven't been adore to find D1CW's rankings beyond 2016. Do you know if they stopped ranking in 16?
It appears he (Earl Smith) works elsewhere, and doesn't run the D1CW site anymore...someone else may know more. I believe he works for TOM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ja1339
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT