Marcus Aurelius quotes

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
Have a good day my friend.
Same to you. Was talking to a friend and my wife yesterday about work place issues. She filled in for an absent coworker yesterday in the office she used to run.
Got a week’s worth of work done in four hours and fixed a lot or errors( lady has a positive COVID test).
No one confronts these people, they just pass the buck,

Reactions: bison13

Alphalion75

Oct 24, 2001
Alpharetta, GA
Same to you. Was talking to a friend and my wife yesterday about work place issues. She filled in for an absent coworker yesterday in the office she used to run.
Got a week’s worth of work done in four hours and fixed a lot or errors( lady has a positive COVID test).
No one confronts these people, they just pass the buck,
Confrontation gets a bad rap because its so misused in today's society. It used to be a very productive tool.

bison13

Dec 22, 2007
I do not believe you’re a fool fwiw. However through beer 60 years my attitude has worked quite well. And the funny thing , bluntness is quite effective when you both deliver results and it’s honest.
Thats the thing every one of my students tells me is that they are glad I was blunt with them, none of this telling you how great you are when you are doing crap work. Those are the kids who always do well for themselves, invite you to college grad, wedding ect.

The kids who you have to baby and always tell them they are great never end up doing anything and many are kids who end up with mental issues once they get in to the real world

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
Thats the thing every one of my students tells me is that they are glad I was blunt with them, none of this telling you how great you are when you are doing crap work. Those are the kids who always do well for themselves, invite you to college grad, wedding ect.

The kids who you have to baby and always tell them they are great never end up doing anything and many are kids who end up with mental issues once they get in to the real world
Here's a story about my son, he was training had to hit a goal of a 400 lb deadlift at age 16. Kid was only 135 lbs or so which would make a a very good lift for any age. I saw him getting nervous and knew he would blow it. After missing it twice all of sudden his back hurt. I'm familiar with certain injuries because I'd lift with some guys in the fixing business. One was a chiropractor and another was an accountant.
I told him he wasn't hurt, he was butt hurt and said he was acting like a pussy. Not because he was weak, but because he was quitting on himself and in life you will be challenged. We strain in the gym to teach us to not quit on ourselves. The other guys also weighed in with similar assessments.
I told my son we'd talk later and I said to him I was not mad at you failing, but quitting. Do not ever quit on yourself. He actually agreed he was acting like a little bytch ( my accountant's assessment) and said he'd just get back to work the next day.
Few are as mentally tough as that kid, I've been hard on him but would always explain how I loved him and want him to succeed.

Reactions: Ski and bison13

bison13

Dec 22, 2007
Here's a story about my son, he was training had to hit a goal of a 400 lb deadlift at age 16. Kid was only 135 lbs or so which would make a a very good lift for any age. I saw him getting nervous and knew he would blow it. After missing it twice all of sudden his back hurt. I'm familiar with certain injuries because I'd lift with some guys in the fixing business. One was a chiropractor and another was an accountant.
I told him he wasn't hurt, he was butt hurt and said he was acting like a pussy. Not because he was weak, but because he was quitting on himself and in life you will be challenged. We strain in the gym to teach us to not quit on ourselves. The other guys also weighed in with similar assessments.
I told my son we'd talk later and I said to him I was not mad at you failing, but quitting. Do not ever quit on yourself. He actually agreed he was acting like a little bytch ( my accountant's assessment) and said he'd just get back to work the next day.
Few are as mentally tough as that kid, I've been hard on him but would always explain how I loved him and want him to succeed.
Ive coached multiple sports for excess of 20 years now and thats a huge issue with todays kids. Once their pride is hurt they go in to a shell, not many of them want to work their way out of it. 20 years ago if you told a kid they were half assing it, they wanted to prove you wrong, now if you say it they go and cry to their parents.

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
Ive coached multiple sports for excess of 20 years now and thats a huge issue with todays kids. Once their pride is hurt they go in to a shell, not many of them want to work their way out of it. 20 years ago if you told a kid they were half assing it, they wanted to prove you wrong, now if you say it they go and cry to their parents.
Bingo, I told my kid life is going to come at you hard at some time, you need to be able to handle it. I'm trying to train you to be a competent and tough minded person. This is kid is mentally and physically tough. He's currently a rocket scientist lol ( mech engineer doing trouble shooting for the company.)