ADVERTISEMENT

Many empty seats yesterday

Of course we don't know your situation - for example, maybe you are supporting relatives - but how much do you pay on that student debt a year? If it's less than say $80K, maybe you should find a financial advisor who will tell you for starters to (1) cut up your credit cards, (2) buy only cars you can afford to pay cash for and (3) reconsider how big a house you really need.
It's a personal choice but you do not need season tix or an RV to go to a game - for most games you can buy dirt cheap from scalpers and stay cheap in Altoona or near Harrisburg or as you are young with multiple drivers, go all the way through.
Maybe none of my beeswax but just sayin.

There are things pulling us in a couple different directions, but my point is really that many of our friends who are alums do not go up for games (living in Beaver County) because we don't have an extra $1000 laying around for a weekend. Only other option is to day trip - which is just exhausting and not that much fun, really (6 hours roundtrip).

What's the average price per night for a hotel on game weekends in State College? $299? $359? Multiply that by two, and all of a sudden, that game got really expensive. Plus game ticket, food, gas...

What's the average price per night for a hotel on game weekends in State College? $299? $359? Multiply that by two, and all of a sudden, that game got really expensive. Plus game ticket, food, gas...
300 to 500 per night depending on the game.

And you must live a pretty extravagant lifestyle...
No, unfortunately, my salary doesn't enable me to live that kind of life in large part because I do have kids; however, if I didn't have to spend a lot of my income on 3 kids....well let's just say that my retirement would be much closer at hand!

That's about 5-8k too tall...

Someone mentioned that student season-tix have been offered to branch-campus students over the past few years- that would impact actual attendance.... Though back in the mid80s I was one of the many students waking up at 11:30am for a noon KO... Recall one time where i wore a bathrobe into the stadium

Just a couple points of clarification:

Students at the branch campuses have been eligible to buy Student tickets since the early 80's, maybe earlier, but I can confirm at least the early 80's from firsthand experience. From a ticketing standpoint, there is no distinction between the Univ Park campus students and the students at the branches. They all login to buy tickets according to class standing (Sr, Jr, etc).

Also, it's quite easy for the students to sell their tickets. They use the NLC Student Ticket Exchange, very similar to the regular NLC Ticket Echange for season ticket holders. I know students who have tried to buy tickets on the exchange, but they are sold as quickly as they are listed.

There are things pulling us in a couple different directions, but my point is really that many of our friends who are alums do not go up for games (living in Beaver County) because we don't have an extra $1000 laying around for a weekend. Only other option is to day trip - which is just exhausting and not that much fun, really (6 hours roundtrip).

Beaver County! Don't forget to vote Martocci for D.A. :)

Time for the AD to get a bigger stadium with more seats.
The upper decks were sparse, and the student section never filled in on the west stands. It's one thing to blame STEP, but where were the students?
I had a great time also, beautiful day, fun ball game, costumes were funny
north end
11446518.jpeg

south end
11447914.jpeg

Me
11446447.jpeg

Beaver stadium filled up through the years mainly by day trippers from about a 3-4 hour radius around state college. It was through a combination of season ticket holders, single game tickets bought at the beginning of the year, and season ticket holders giving tickets away to friends/family (a much larger amount of this went on than people realized especially for the 'bad' games). When STEP came into effect, many season ticket holders greatly reduced the amount of tickets they held. I knew people that had 8, 10, 12+ season tickets that could no longer afford that many with STEP and cut it down to 2 or 4. So all those season ticket holders who would sell those tickets at face value to friends and family (face value typically being $30-$45) don't have them to sell anymore. And those people who would get and use those tickets are not going onto the PSU website and buying $100 single game tickets as that price is considering too high to pay for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT