ADVERTISEMENT

Manville sighting

psu_flip

Jun 30, 2006
Carson and Pierson were wrestling in a freestyle tournament today at Pennridge High School. Mason was in their corner along with their mother. Mason was wearing a camo PSU baseball cap similar to Cael's look. Carson is a man among boys at the cadet level. Pierson sported a PSU singlet during the competition. Thought of putting the FULL COURT PRESS on Carson, but I just let them be. They seem like a very nice tight knit family.

Carson and Pierson were wrestling in a freestyle tournament today at Pennridge High School. Mason was in their corner along with their mother. Mason was wearing a camo PSU baseball cap similar to Cael's look. Carson is a man among boys at the cadet level. Pierson sported a PSU singlet during the competition. Thought of putting the FULL COURT PRESS on Carson, but I just let them be. They seem like a very nice tight knit family.
Excellent intel. The board's tentacles reach far

Yes. Very close. It's a wonder you didn't see there Dad in the corner as well. Bet he was not far behind. Been to several tournaments with my son when Mason was wrestling and Carson was wrestling in the elementary division,,,,His Dad would always tell me LOOK OUT FOR CARSON HE IS GOING TO BE SPECIAL....

They may be tight knit, but not sure about the other part. A family who moves into a high school in November, then back out in March as soon as the season is over, is curious at best. And this just happened this year, and it's not the first time.
It's the I, Me, My mentality, and then all of sudden they want to become team players at PSU. "Yes, now I'm a team player"...I don't buy it.
When someone shows you who they are, believe them.

Reactions: minnhawkeye
Carson is signed up for MN/USA FS/GR State, this coming weekend. Overheard a teammate of his discussing how they're in MN, and then they're not, quite often.

I don't know... I love watching the kid wrestle. That's all I feel allowed to comment on, on this subject.

Carson is signed up for MN/USA FS/GR State, this coming weekend. Overheard a teammate of his discussing how they're in MN, and then they're not, quite often.

I don't know... I love watching the kid wrestle. That's all I feel allowed to comment on, on this subject.
My sources say they moved out, not enrolled in the school, bolted...if they're in a tournament out in MN it's not cause they live there.

Mason is a Senior World team member at what.....19? Accepted into the Army ROTC program and by all a counts seems like those boys are great students. The parents seem to be doing something right. I'm actually kinda envious. I can't seem to get one of mine out of the basement to experience life awhile.....

They may be tight knit, but not sure about the other part. A family who moves into a high school in November, then back out in March as soon as the season is over, is curious at best. And this just happened this year, and it's not the first time.
It's the I, Me, My mentality, and then all of sudden they want to become team players at PSU. "Yes, now I'm a team player"...I don't buy it.
When someone shows you who they are, believe them.
Cael bought it.

Reactions: hlstone and Gebmo
Mason is a Senior World team member at what.....19? Accepted into the Army ROTC program and by all a counts seems like those boys are great students. The parents seem to be doing something right. I'm actually kinda envious. I can't seem to get one of mine out of the basement to experience life awhile.....

I know people that allowed their daughters to move around to pursue dance at the highest levels. You can read about folks that move around to pursue high education pursuits. You can find people that move to advance their musical talents.

but let a kid/parent do it for sport and its scarlett letter forever it seems.

Pursuing the best you and yours can be and having the freedom to do it should be whats it all about.

"Wrestling is not a team sport, when you are out on the mat..." -- Louden Swain

Granted the way the Manville's move around is unusual, but apparently the goal is the help make their sons the best wrestlers they can be, so far it seems to be working. Obviously this is not an approach that would work for most people. Will be interesting to see where Carson ends up for 9th grade.

I know people that allowed their daughters to move around to pursue dance at the highest levels. You can read about folks that move around to pursue high education pursuits. You can find people that move to advance their musical talents.

but let a kid/parent do it for sport and its scarlett letter forever it seems.

Pursuing the best you and yours can be and having the freedom to do it should be whats it all about.
There is more to life than wrestling though. There is more to being a team member. Much more. It's not just about "what's best for me" when we are working in team settings. That's what is missing here. What I'm referring to (or against) is part of the process.

My sources say they moved out, not enrolled in the school, bolted...if they're in a tournament out in MN it's not cause they live there.
Perhaps they want Carson wrestling with the Storm Cadet/Junior teams, hence why he has his USA membership through MN. I think they just have to prove residency at Fargo time.

There is more to life than wrestling though. There is more to being a team member. Much more. It's not just about "what's best for me" when we are working in team settings. That's what is missing here. What I'm referring to (or against) is part of the process.

I'm pretty sure that Mark Hall did something similar as a 7th grader. I believe he played football for Davison's middle school team in Michigan in the fall, moved to KY and wrestled for Ryle HS in the winter (because KY allows 7th graders to wrestle varsity), and then moved back to MI in the spring and ran track for Davison. Not sure about the two pre-9th grade years in MN. Obviously, given his talent, he was looking for a more competitive in-season wrestling experience since he could not wrestle varsity in MI. Same situation with Mason and Carson. Concluding that a student would not be a good teammate based on doing this seems a stretch to me.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I used to be more morally absolute, but as I age, I see more and more shades of gray. In this case, my belief is to allow a family a wider latitude until they demonstrate otherwise. Based on what they have produced in Mason and Carson, that is probably wise.

But who gets to decide what being a team member means? In the movie industry, a team comes together to build one movie, and they are close to one another, and they work their asses off for one another, and then they disband. Should we rail against that entire industry because we know best; we know that people have to stay wedded to each other for exactly four years, because we say so?

And if a team has a chance to get a Manville for one season, is that not what's best for the team for that season? Should they not feel grateful? Or should they get greedy and demand exactly four seasons of servitude?

Last edited:
Reactions: zzs006
I used to be more morally absolute, but as I age, I see more and more shades of gray. In this case, my belief is to allow a family a wider latitude until they demonstrate otherwise. Based on what they have produced in Mason and Carson, that is probably wise.

I agree. Its hard to know others motivations or what they are trying to accomplish. In my neighborhood growing up was a family of 3 boys, some of my HS’s best athletes. The Dad held each of them back in 8th grade.

He took a lot of flack since it was supposedly for sports (and maybe it was, but so what). All three played D1 football or basketball for free, one at West Point. I was a year older than the oldest and played a lot of ball with him and at the time was “skeptical” of it and made my comments back then.

Looking back, I think it worked out great. They are all very successful in their fields and as people, were successful in school, and probably needed the year from a maturity point of view (that is a big understatement). As kids they raised a bit of cain as they say, and probably needed another 3 years to be as mature as they should have been….remind you of anyone from another forum?

I’m with PS1985, a bit more tolerant and less quick to judge as I age, realizing I can’t see the whole picture and am not always right anyway, though I don’t budge on ridiculing Dallas fans that live in and are from Philly.

Never surprised to see the Manville family anywhere. When I take my team to Western Regionals they are always there , even though they are already qualified through thier home region. They travel for competition. Luckily for them they are blessed enough to do it. Think jealousy plays a big factor on people's opinions. By all accounts they seem like a great family

A kid shows up to practice, works his ass off to get better, makes other kids on the team work harder to keep up as well as following the example set and does everything ask of him including competing hard - I am uncertain of what may be missing as far being a good teammate.

Would this all seem as odd if the father was a career military man who had to uproot his family every 12, 18, 24 months in service to our country. Then the family would get used to living wherever they were and home would be as long as we have each other. The concept of going where ever needed or was best would not be so foreign. And I really wouldn't care what any one else said...

A kid shows up to practice, works his ass off to get better, makes other kids on the team work harder to keep up as well as following the example set and does everything ask of him including competing hard - I am uncertain of what may be missing as far being a good teammate.
See, so there it is really. Your quote identifies what I'm getting at with all of this. "As long as they perform in the practice room...". - Doesn't mean jack squat. Wrestling accomplishments are just that. Look at the examples in pro sports where you will find many examples of self-absorbed individuals...and all that that entails. Don't want to see wrestling turn into that. It is and should be better than that. It's better than that only when it teaches things such as being a good team member, and sorry moving in and out just for the wrestling season doesn't cut it. It's better than that when it teaches sportsmanship. It's better than that when it teaches people to give back. Honesty. Integrity. All of the above are way more important than winning matches. Wrestling is merely a game from which to teach life skills. That's it. There are SO many things that are more important than what you've just described about being a good practice partner, but the way you explain it's as if that's all there is to this. Maybe that's your version of the sport, but it'll never be mine.

Would this all seem as odd if the father was a career military man who had to uproot his family every 12, 18, 24 months in service to our country. Then the family would get used to living wherever they were and home would be as long as we have each other. The concept of going where ever needed or was best would not be so foreign. And I really wouldn't care what any one else said...
These moves are not for any job, military or otherwise. Let's not confuse the facts or look for excuses.

See, so there it is really. Your quote identifies what I'm getting at with all of this. "As long as they perform in the practice room...". - Doesn't mean jack squat. Wrestling accomplishments are just that. Look at the examples in pro sports where you will find many examples of self-absorbed individuals...and all that that entails. Don't want to see wrestling turn into that. It is and should be better than that. It's better than that only when it teaches things such as being a good team member, and sorry moving in and out just for the wrestling season doesn't cut it. It's better than that when it teaches sportsmanship. It's better than that when it teaches people to give back. Honesty. Integrity. All of the above are way more important than winning matches. Wrestling is merely a game from which to teach life skills. That's it. There are SO many things that are more important than what you've just described about being a good practice partner, but the way you explain it's as if that's all there is to this. Maybe that's your version of the sport, but it'll never be mine.
You seem to be obsessing a bit, and possibly stretching to force a narrative that I am uncertain applies. I addressed the room aspect of things because you singled out "good teammates". They seem to be good students, I have never read anything about behavior issues. Their parents from what I can tell seem to be doing a good job. Hell we as a society bytch about parents abdicating their parental responsibilities and here we seem to have parents intent on providing their children multiple learning opportunities and we are discussing whether or not this allows them an opportunity to be a good teammate.
The Manville kids do not seem to be more or less self-absorbed than any other teenage kids. Their parents have the means to provide them opportunities most do not receive, and their kids seem to be achieving.

Straight up and down the checkout list, academics, athletics, social development I fail to see what they are missing. A sense of community maybe, but Mason is a ROTC student so even the resonsibility to the community seems present.

You seem to be obsessing a bit, and possibly stretching to force a narrative that I am uncertain applies. I addressed the room aspect of things because you singled out "good teammates". They seem to be good students, I have never read anything about behavior issues. Their parents from what I can tell seem to be doing a good job. Hell we as a society bytch about parents abdicating their parental responsibilities and here we seem to have parents intent on providing their children multiple learning opportunities and we are discussing whether or not this allows them an opportunity to be a good teammate.
The Manville kids do not seem to be more or less self-absorbed than any other teenage kids. Their parents have the means to provide them opportunities most do not receive, and their kids seem to be achieving.

Straight up and down the checkout list, academics, athletics, social development I fail to see what they are missing. A sense of community maybe, but Mason is a ROTC student so even the resonsibility to the community seems present.
Sure, in and out for the season - let that be the new standard.

I have to ask. Why so bitter on this subject?
Me bitter? Come on now, just getting warmed up;)
With your new standard established though, maybe we could even crack that convention by encouraging kids to switch teams once per month based on what HS looks like they might win states? If things aren't going smoothly at The Shute/Louden Swain Academy, "screw this, we're pulling up our anchor the getting the hell outa here!".

You have to admit, there comes a time when one's actions can look extremely self-serving, right? There's other elements to this that I won't get into, but really you're entitled to your own opinion, so don't mind me and my old-school thinking. And I don't mean that to sound sarcastic.

The good news is that we can have the highest faith in the coaching staff presenting scholarship funding for the very best candidates and by that we're referring to more than just wrestling skills. God Bless.

Last edited:
Dropster, I wouldn't use the word bitter. Seems more like you're consumed by this, almost bordering on accusatory. I personally know nothing about the Manville's, and other than your posts on here, have not seen anything remotely suggesting the family is doing anything unethical, illegal, or whatever. Sure does seem like you have an agenda...just an observation.

Dropster, I wouldn't use the word bitter. Seems more like you're consumed by this, almost bordering on accusatory. I personally know nothing about the Manville's, and other than your posts on here, have not seen anything remotely suggesting the family is doing anything unethical, illegal, or whatever. Sure does seem like you have an agenda...just an observation.
I'm done talking about it.

Sometimes, the various "unwritten rules" known by confident people are so completely arbitrary that it's ridiculous.

Imagine a hypothetical us who says things like:
"a high school senior choosing college should choose to go to the toughest room (PSU's), if he has high goals."

Then, out of the same mouth, imagine that we say things like:
"a high school sophomore should not choose to go to the toughest room, even if he has high goals; instead, he should stay where he happens to have started, because, you know, he should sacrifice his own improvement to obey unwritten rules, because all his teammates who love him would want him to be less good just so the teammates could have him around all four years."

Last edited:
Reactions: zzs006
... because all his teammates who love him would want him to be less good just so long as the teammates could have him around all four years."
And then, 20 years later at the reunion, the stud can say:
"I coulda been a contender, but I sacrificed my future to be with you guys,"

and the guys can reply,
"oh, you did? I did not notice" or
"no you could not have been a contender, you empty boaster."

Last edited:
... Pursuing the best you and yours can be and having the freedom to do it should be whats it all about.

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

That's the American Way.

In contrast, the old country, England, was the country with "unwritten rules" up the wazoo.

Last edited:
Reactions: dunkej01
All I know is that the kid goes out and competes hard and has an incredible attitude when he is interviewed. Nuff said. Can't wait for Mason to get in the room this year!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT