ADVERTISEMENT

Making my case to be an Alumni-elected Trustee

The Commonwealth Campuses serve an important function. Many students at them cannot afford to go away to college and live at home and/or also have jobs while they study. The campuses also provide opportunities for many in the communities and local schools to use the facilities and to benefit from Penn State. They are an important economic recourse to many of the communities.

Yes some do, others not so much. That is the point a couple of us are making.

Reactions: Sullivan
Where is the data to support this? Many in state kids are being pushed to the commonwealth campuses to bring out of state kids (read full out of state tuition) to main campus. While your claim might have been true several years ago, it is not the case now. Due to PSU's cost, most students are funding their educations via loans so the financial impact of living away from home is lessened during the enrollment period.

Not only out of state but also out of country and this comes from a very good friend of mine that is currently a prof at PSU.

Reactions: CentexLion
This is not another "here we ago again election" fo ............
My platform is:
  • Restore the Paterno legacy;
  • Promote Diversity, Equality and Inclusion;
  • Promote improved Town & Gown relations;
  • Bolster Commonwealth Campuses.

If elected, I will remain engaged in Blue White Illustrated and I will not disappear.

To learn more about me and my candidacy, click here: https://mailchi.mp/dba9af6fa78a/campaign1?e=ebb5b7ab7e

Seems that without the company line about diversity, equality and inclusion, a candidate would feel unqualified.

But when I went to PSU in the 1970's PSU was still the PENNSYLVANIA State University. i.e. a much higher percentage of students were actually from PA families. But it seems that PSU has "evolved" into more of the United Nations approach to admissions. And the current political environment could make the shift away from being an actual Pennsylvania first university worse.

So as someone that would rather see PSU admit more students from Pennsylvania, if your vision is really the United Nations approach, I'm not with you.

I want to re-post something I posted earlier this year, as I think that several of you have a misconception of the workings of the BOT:

I understand the frustration that many folks have in what has taken place since 2011. It took a few years for PSU alumni to overhaul the alumni-elected trustees. And just when they were getting close to being able to make a difference, BOT Chair Keith Masser forced through a change in the composition of the BOT, which made it more difficult for the alumni-elected trustees to accomplish much. It did not help that Masser, then Ira Lupert (who recently resigned from the BOT), and then Mark Dambly served as the respective Chairs of the BOT, as each of them made no effort to treat all trustees equally.

The current BOT, with Matthew Schuyler as the Chair, is the best functioning BOT since PSU alumni took a renewed interest in the process. Schuyler is the first Chair that has treated the alumni-elected trustees with respect, and placed them on committees more aligned to their interests and areas of expertise. Two of the alumni-elected trustees are Chairs of BOT committees, and two are Chairs of sub-committees. As a result of the more even-handed administration of the BOT by the Chair, the alumni-elected trustees are working jointly with many of the other trustees to accomplish some of the things that need to be addressed by PSU.

As Al de Levie indicated in his introductory post, the next BOT has a lot on its plate. They'll be selecting a new President, and also be selecting a new AD. And since the BOT is now making an effort to address the views of the alumni-elected trustees in their decisions, it does seem like this is not a time for alums to be non-participants in the BOT election.
So more of the same, but at least matt s isn’t an ass?

So more of the same, but at least matt s isn’t an ass?

A prognosticator of the future I am not.

As to the later part of your comment, Matt certainly is definitely not an ass, and is making an effort to make the BOT operate as it should, and less as a body that simply consents to what the Chair wants.

As to the earlier part of your comment, with the caveat of my first sentence in this reply, those who are much closer to the situation, and in a position to make a qualified judgement, do not think it will be more of the same. Of course, only time will tell.

After reading your platform, I'll pa
I agree with Tom McAndrew. Things have lightened up a bit. There's no skin off your back by giving me the chance to try to accomplish something. I don't give up easy. I'm as frustrated as you are, and now I want to try. You have nothing to lose by voting for me.

When it comes to elections of any sort, I see my vote as something that needs to be earned by a candidate. You're not there.

Reactions: cvilleelkscoach
A prognosticator of the future I am not.

As to the later part of your comment, Matt certainly is definitely not an ass, and is making an effort to make the BOT operate as it should, and less as a body that simply consents to what the Chair wants.

As to the earlier part of your comment, with the caveat of my first sentence in this reply, those who are much closer to the situation, and in a position to make a qualified judgement, do not think it will be more of the same. Of course, only time will tell.
Thanks Tom. Hope springs eternal, but the track record isn’t great!

The Commonwealth Campuses serve an important function. Many students at them cannot afford to go away to college and live at home and/or also have jobs while they study. The campuses also provide opportunities for many in the communities and local schools to use the facilities and to benefit from Penn State. They are an important economic recourse to many of the communities.
Made a huge difference for me. I went to Oz, and my dad was out of work during that time--but I got a local scholarship. I maybe do not go to college without having been able to go to Ogontz. Buck U (Bucks Co. CC), maybe, but it would have been a waste of time for me.

This is not another "here we ago again election" for the Penn State Board of Trustees. This is the time to be engaged and to be involved. If we don't vote, they won't listen to us. The next Board will select the next Penn State President. This is our chance to be heard. That is why I am running.

My vision is for a Penn State that is innovative, affordable, and inclusive. I am committed to being a strong voice for truth and reason.

My platform is:
  • Maintain Penn State’s status as a world-class university at a reasonable cost;

If elected, I will remain engaged in Blue White Illustrated and I will not disappear.

To learn more about me and my candidacy, click here: https://mailchi.mp/dba9af6fa78a/campaign1?e=ebb5b7ab7e
The best way to "bolster Commonwealth Campuses" is to close half of them. They are a financial drag and just aren't needed, given Pennsylvania's declining high school population. We probably don't need a number of the state colleges either, several have suffered serious enrollment declines, but obviously that is beyond BOT jurisdiction.

This is not another "here we ago again election" for the Penn State Board of Trustees. This is the time to be engaged and to be involved. If we don't vote, they won't listen to us. The next Board will select the next Penn State President. This is our chance to be heard. That is why I am running.

My vision is for a Penn State that is innovative, affordable, and inclusive. I am committed to being a strong voice for truth and reason.

My platform is:
  • Maintain Penn State’s status as a world-class university at a reasonable cost;

Unlike many others I continue to vote, but my patience is wearing thin. I have not looked at who is running, but I will consider you and appreciate your posting here.

Reactions: psu00
Seems that without the company line about diversity, equality and inclusion, a candidate would feel unqualified.

But when I went to PSU in the 1970's PSU was still the PENNSYLVANIA State University. i.e. a much higher percentage of students were actually from PA families. But it seems that PSU has "evolved" into more of the United Nations approach to admissions. And the current political environment could make the shift away from being an actual Pennsylvania first university worse.

So as someone that would rather see PSU admit more students from Pennsylvania, if your vision is really the United Nations approach, I'm not with you.
You come to this board to discuss your run for for election to the BOT, but don't even respond. I guess that tells me all I need to know about you.

You come to this board to discuss your run for for election to the BOT, but don't even respond. I guess that tells me all I need to know about you.
Exactly. I asked several questions of him to supply detail and it was radio silence. That tells me they are just platitudes and he has no plan. Just another in a long line of people looking for a title and not looking for a job.

Exactly. I asked several questions of him to supply detail and it was radio silence. That tells me they are just platitudes and he has no plan. Just another in a long line of people looking for a title and not looking for a job.
You must not have seen this gem from his platform;
  • Promote Diversity, Equality and Inclusion
That is no platitude, my friend. That is all the proof any of us needs to know that this guy is a serious candidate.

That is no platitude, my friend. That is all the proof any of us needs to know that this guy is a serious candidate.

It's not a job and he's giving it the seriousness it deserves.

You can make fun of it all you want but DEI is happening across the country at all levels and especially in academia. I’m not saying it’s not a topic up for debate, but it’s happening and will continue to happen. You would not believe the investment my daughter’s school (private) has made in DEI; recruitment, program development, parent committees, etc. What this looks like at PSU - no idea.

Reactions: BBrown
There was a time when I voted in all Penn State elections (Trustee, Alumni Council, etc.) Of course, that was when I actually gave a damn about what happened to Dear Old State. I no longer do. I only frequent this board because I have come to enjoy the people who post here.
It may be arrogant on my part, but I believe that when Penn State lost the interest of people like me, it lost a lot. I no longer donate, have not been back to campus in years (and have no desire to return), and will make no effort to make Penn State a better place. My time, and my treasure, is now spent elsewhere. That said, I wish you well. I have spent much of my recent years "tilting at windmills" but I do so where I actually have a chance, however small, to make a difference. At Penn State that chance no longer exists.
Fair enough.. I remain interested in Penn St and give to it. I won’t make any judgements in those that take your stance. To think I should abandon ship on a place that was such a great springboard for me on so many levels, I can’t fathom it. I still think great students/future professionals are generated by the school and I’d like to see that continue and I’m willing to participate in that vein (albeit more/nearly exclusively with $ than with time).

Just a note that PS4RS is sponsoring a PSU Alumni-Elected Trustee Candidate Town Hall on April 8. It's a Zoom Town Hall, and you have to register to participate. Details about it are in the pinned post at the top of the board about the Alumni-Elected Trustee Election.

You can make fun of it all you want but DEI is happening across the country at all levels and especially in academia. I’m not saying it’s not a topic up for debate, but it’s happening and will continue to happen. You would not believe the investment my daughter’s school (private) has made in DEI; recruitment, program development, parent committees, etc. What this looks like at PSU - no idea.
I absolutely do believe your daughter's school is investing a huge amount into DEI. I also believe that a candidate for any board membership who makes it a prominent part of their campaign platform is pandering.

Reactions: Midnighter2

Good luck to Mr. de Levie. Making no judgement about his platform, when it comes to platitudes nothing can beat Anne Riley in 2012. I couldn't find her candidate statement after a quick internet search but it was the biggest load of platitude garbage I've ever read. No wonder she was voted out in a rout.

Not only out of state but also out of country and this comes from a very good friend of mine that is currently a prof at PSU.
Not sure leadership has a clue. Certainly it is obvious re: foreign students paid by their country (we all know this means China); out of state not as sure, my niece wanted to come to main campus from MA. She was honor society, Her grandfather and great uncle were Penn State grads; her Uncle is Penn State grad (me); her cousin is a Penn State grad; her father is a Penn State grad. He would have paid full tuition in cash to have her attend. Her father and mother are successful software designers. She wanted Computer Science. They offered her a Commonwealth Campus. Now Michigan State collects the tuition. This is the type of loyalty you would not see in the Ivies or elsewhere. It’s bad business and bad leadership. Bad experiences are cumulative and last generations.

My platform is:

I have not used my useless vote in, I don't know how many, years now, but, I'm inclined to vote for you despite your not having a Pulitzer prize winning plan as of yet. This Board can be tough as you can see and perhaps it reflects tough love for an institution (i.e. leaders) that has/have disappointed so, so many and not just on this Board. As stated, I'm inclined but I'll actually take the time to get to learn about all the candidates first, given what I've read here about Mr. Schuyler.

Yes, and we will !!!

Yes, and we will !!!

tenor.gif

Good luck to Mr. de Levie. Making no judgement about his platform, when it comes to platitudes nothing can beat Anne Riley in 2012. I couldn't find her candidate statement after a quick internet search but it was the biggest load of platitude garbage I've ever read. No wonder she was voted out in a rout.
Thanks for wishing me good luck. On the PSU Board of Trustees website, I have laid out my positions on various topics. I will briefly mention a few of them, not necessarily in the order of their importance. I think an important issue to be decided by the next board is who will be our next president. That decision will affect so much. We need someone grounded as an academic, but also most importantly, we need someone to guide us through the financial difficulties facing higher education in this country. Of course, I will preach fiscal responsibility and the requirement that a Penn State education be accessible and affordable. I also support restoring the statue and honoring Joe and Sue.

I have not used my useless vote in, I don't know how many, years now, but, I'm inclined to vote for you despite your not having a Pulitzer prize winning plan as of yet. This Board can be tough as you can see and perhaps it reflects tough love for an institution (i.e. leaders) that has/have disappointed so, so many and not just on this Board. As stated, I'm inclined but I'll actually take the time to get to learn about all the candidates first, given what I've read here about Mr. Schuyler.
I understand there is much frustration by so many alumni to choose not to vote. Your vote is not useless.

I believe I am uniquely qualified to sit on the Board of Trustees, as I grew up in State College, the son of a faculty member and a Mom who worked on campus. Because of that and now having moved back to State College, I have a historical perspective of how Penn State has grown in some aspects and needs great improvement in others. I have already reached out to many government officials in State College, business leaders, university administrators, and other members now sitting on the Board of Trustees. I have spoken with the Mayor, the past Mayor, people currently running for Mayer, Borough Officials and so many others in order to improve town and gown relations. We must have strong Penn State and community relations to help grow downtown State College and make it complementary to the University experience. I have written letters to the editor and columns about my views. Please visit my website, https://alvin4psuboardoftrustees.com to read some of my writings.

Over the last 40 years, I have counseled and advised Penn State Students, Penn State faculty, Penn State Administrators, Penn State Trustees, both alumni elected and appointed, and yes, Penn State Coaches, about a wide array of issues that confront the Board of Trustees continually. I believe my experiences in total provide me with a unique opportunity to serve the Penn State Alumni, Penn State and the State College Community.

Last edited:
I understand there is much frustration by so many alumni to choose not to vote. Your vote is not useless.

I believe I am uniquely qualified to sit on the Board of Trustees, as I grew up in State College, the son of a faculty member and a Mom who worked on campus. Because of that and now having moved back to State College, I have a historical perspective of how Penn State has grown in some aspects and needs great improvement in others. I have already reached out to many government officials in State College, business leaders, university administrators, and other members now sitting on the Board of Trustees. I have spoken with the Mayor, the past Mayor, people currently running for Mayer, Borough Officials and so many others in order to improve town and gown relations. We must have strong Penn State and community relations to help grow downtown State College and make it complementary to the University experience. I have written letters to the editor and columns about my views. Please visit my website, https://alvin4psuboardoftrustees.com to read some of my writings.

Over the last 40 years, I have counseled and advised Penn State Students, Penn State faculty, Penn State Administrators, Penn State Trustees, both alumni elected and appointed, and yes, Penn State Coaches, about a wide array of issues that confront the Board of Trustees continually. I believe my experiences in total provide me with a unique opportunity to serve the Penn State Alumni, Penn State and the State College Community.
“...people currently running for Mayer...” I gather attention to detail isn’t on the platform.

Reactions: 81b&w

I believe you mean well. Just trying to set the over/under on when cold, hard reality sets in at your first Board meeting.

Reactions: Ski
“...people currently running for Mayer...” I gather attention to detail isn’t on the platform.

I'll never get the approach that some people have on this board. In the sentence that you quoted, the poster uses the term "mayor" three times. The first two, he spells the word correctly. The third time, it's misspelled. As someone that posts all the time on this board, I know that even someone like me, that is a detail fanatic, makes mistakes. Sometimes it's simply a mistake on my part. Other times, it's due to auto-correct. And other times, I decide to change what I'm stating, and only realize after I read what I posted that my changes were not totally cleaned up before I hit Post or Post reply.

And yet, some choose to ignore the overall point a poster makes, and decide to focus on any little typo they can find. smh

I'll never get the approach that some people have on this board. In the sentence that you quoted, the poster uses the term "mayor" three times. The first two, he spells the word correctly. The third time, it's misspelled. As someone that posts all the time on this board, I know that even someone like me, that is a detail fanatic, makes mistakes. Sometimes it's simply a mistake on my part. Other times, it's due to auto-correct. And other times, I decide to change what I'm stating, and only realize after I read what I posted that my changes were not totally cleaned up before I hit Post or Post reply.

And yet, some choose to ignore the overall point a poster makes, and decide to focus on any little typo they can find. smh
I read the post. All of it. And I get his point. But even seemingly insignificant mistakes can say a lot about a person‘s ability to successfully manage complex situations, regardless of what the content may be. So, from a purely personal perspective, if you want my vote, you better spell every word correctly. And while we’re on the subject, I will also never, ever vote for anybody who uses the term “retarded.” I don’t know, maybe I’m just being picky.

Reactions: GregInPitt
I read the post. All of it. And I get his point. But even seemingly insignificant mistakes can say a lot about a person‘s ability to successfully manage complex situations, regardless of what the content may be. So, from a purely personal perspective, if you want my vote, you better spell every word correctly. And while we’re on the subject, I will also never, ever vote for anybody who uses the term “retarded.” I don’t know, maybe I’m just being picky.

As in "Construction progress was retarded by frequent spells of bad weather?"

My platform is:

Good luck. i hope you are sincere. however, I have two thoughts. The first is that the board is dominated by the state. Or, at least, the elected members have no power at all. As such, even if your intentions are true, the position will just be an opportunity to enjoy a good prime rib and make it to one of several prime seating areas for games. I can't complain about that, good for you. But I don't really think your election or loss of election will make any difference.

secondly, diversity and inclusion at a university mean making the experience available for all. As such, the employees and leadership of PSU need performance. Including diversity at the expense of performance will hurt more than help. "Diversity" to me, means everyone has an equal opportunity at success or failure regardless of their classification as denoted in the US Constitution.

Reactions: manofsteel200
I gave you your first LIKE as you certainly are persistent. But remember that we have been promised by every prior Alumni BOT participant before, and most have been hollow promises. Hell, they even voted YEAH for the Ira Chairman selection. After the election, all disappeared except Lubrano. He certainly talked the talk, and knew how to get votes with his narrative. But not a single Alumni sponsored action occurred. Guess they are still proof reading the Freeh Report.

But I'll certainly think about it. Would you be willing to upset the apple cart if you see actions that are immoral and unethical, despite having a Non Disclosure/Excommunication mandate hanging over your head? If you see something terribly wrong, would you be a whistleblower and possibly get lawsuits thrown at you by PSU and the BOT? I thought other ones would, but was terribly wrong. I really believe the prior Alumni candidates were actually plants by the Cabal to make us feel like we had input.
This!

I think you have a point if you locate problems with campaign platforms on a candidate's web site.

On a message board, I totally disagree. Message boards are like a conversation. In a verbal conversation, most people say things that they'd never write in a serious paper (mostly, sentence structure, or use of words that are better in a conversation than in a serious paper).

In addition, I always try to remember that a lot of people access this board, and post on this board, from their SmartPhone. I frequently make mistakes when I text someone, or try to post on this site from my phone. It doesn't mean that I don't pay attention to detail. It simply means that my fingers have never been crazy with keying in things on SmartPhones, and with autocorrect "fixing" everything, I don't even notice a mistake before I send it/post it, unless I take time to review what I've keyed in before sending/posting, and I don't always have the time to do that when I'm on my phone.

ADVERTISEMENT