ADVERTISEMENT

Making my case to be an Alumni-elected Trustee

I think you have a point if you locate problems with campaign platforms on a candidate's web site.

On a message board, I totally disagree. Message boards are like a conversation. In a verbal conversation, most people say things that they'd never write in a serious paper (mostly, sentence structure, or use of words that are better in a conversation than in a serious paper).

In addition, I always try to remember that a lot of people access this board, and post on this board, from their SmartPhone. I frequently make mistakes when I text someone, or try to post on this site from my phone. It doesn't mean that I don't pay attention to detail. It simply means that my fingers have never been crazy with keying in things on SmartPhones, and with autocorrect "fixing" everything, I don't even notice a mistake before I send it/post it, unless I take time to review what I've keyed in before sending/posting, and I don't always have the time to do that when I'm on my phone.
Along these lines, a meme I recently saw was "A priest, a minister, and a rabbit walk into a bar"....
img_7012.jpg

I think you have a point if you locate problems with campaign platforms on a candidate's web site.

On a message board, I totally disagree. Message boards are like a conversation. In a verbal conversation, most people say things that they'd never write in a serious paper (mostly, sentence structure, or use of words that are better in a conversation than in a serious paper).

In addition, I always try to remember that a lot of people access this board, and post on this board, from their SmartPhone. I frequently make mistakes when I text someone, or try to post on this site from my phone. It doesn't mean that I don't pay attention to detail. It simply means that my fingers have never been crazy with keying in things on SmartPhones, and with autocorrect "fixing" everything, I don't even notice a mistake before I send it/post it, unless I take time to review what I've keyed in before sending/posting, and I don't always have the time to do that when I'm on my phone.
I get that, and have no problem with a typo here and there. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever called anyone out for a spelling error on this board in the years I’ve been part of this community. But if you’re trying to convince me to vote for you, that’s a whole different ball game. I don’t care if you’re posting on your own campaign web site, BWI, or writing an OP-ED in The NY Times, take 2 minutes and proofread your work. I don’t think that’s asking too much.

I read the post. All of it. And I get his point. But even seemingly insignificant mistakes can say a lot about a person‘s ability to successfully manage complex situations, regardless of what the content may be. So, from a purely personal perspective, if you want my vote, you better spell every word correctly. And while we’re on the subject, I will also never, ever vote for anybody who uses the term “retarded.” I don’t know, maybe I’m just being picky.
My Dad, who taught English, would be similarly upset with me. And no, I would never use that word.

Centex Lion said: gave you your first LIKE as you certainly are persistent. But remember that we have been promised by every prior Alumni BOT participant before, and most have been hollow promises. Hell, they even voted YEAH for the Ira Chairman selection. After the election, all disappeared except Lubrano. He certainly talked the talk, and knew how to get votes with his narrative. But not a single Alumni sponsored action occurred. Guess they are still proof reading the Freeh Report.

But I'll certainly think about it. Would you be willing to upset the apple cart if you see actions that are immoral and unethical, despite having a Non Disclosure/Excommunication mandate hanging over your head? If you see something terribly wrong, would you be a whistleblower and possibly get lawsuits thrown at you by PSU and the BOT? I thought other ones would, but was terribly wrong. I really believe the prior Alumni candidates were actually plants by the Cabal to make us feel like we had input
I would be willing to "upset the apple cart" and you would quickly see my resignation. Being a whistleblower does not scare me. I would truly appreciate your support and the support of others.

I understand everyone’s frustration. I share it. If I am on the board I will be able to state your criticisms, I can be a voice. At least they will have to listen to me. Whether they will do anything about remains to be seen. But let’s try. I do not give up easy. Let me try. I have filed suit against PSU representing Coach Kaidanov, the fencing coach fired. No one gave us a chance. We won.. Give me a chance. You lose nothing and I am willing to give it my best.
I, personally, am glad that you defended Coach Kaidenov, but what did you win? Was it only money? I do not recall PSU issuing Mea Culpa or Joyner being publicly excoriated.

People want accountability. Usually, that involves transparency. If you measure accountability by the monetary settlement, this is the wrong crowd to solicit.

That's dumb.
Of course that’s dumb! Obviously not like that. BTW, in my original post I was clearly referring to a specific individual who badly wants to be on the PSU BOT but seems oblivious to the fact that the word “retarded” is offensive when used “not like that.”

Last edited:
Thank you. I appreciate that. And just to clarify, I was NOT in any way implying that you would ever use that word. I was referring to a former BWI poster who’s desire to be on the BOT is rivaled only by his total lack of empathy.
At least Barry wasn’t campaigning on the statue and keeping branch campuses open.

At least Barry wasn’t campaigning on the statue and keeping branch campuses open.

Anyone who believes that any Board member will make a difference is deluding themselves. They basically exist to rubber-stamp what the administration proposes. No one will put in the time or effort to perform otherwise. In PSU's case, they don't even catch the obvious or egregious.

Anyone who believes that any Board member will make a difference is deluding themselves. They basically exist to rubber-stamp what the administration proposes. No one will put in the time or effort to perform otherwise. In PSU's case, they don't even catch the obvious or egregious.
I don’t disagree—but the last thing this university needs is another advocate to waste time/resources for statues and branch campuses that should be closed.

I don’t disagree—but the last thing this university needs is another advocate to waste time/resources for statues and branch campuses that should be closed.

Why not? No different than the other blobs of protoplasm who do nothing but occupy time and space.

You can make fun of it all you want but DEI is happening across the country at all levels and especially in academia. I’m not saying it’s not a topic up for debate, but it’s happening and will continue to happen. You would not believe the investment my daughter’s school (private) has made in DEI; recruitment, program development, parent committees, etc. What this looks like at PSU - no idea.
It’s not just schools, but any business worth its salt is investing in DEI as well. My company did so early on with excellent results. It was the right decision both financially and morally.

I prefer to keep those blobs of protoplasm away.

Away from what? All they do is rubber-stamp what the administration puts on the agenda. The key to a university's performance is the president. Being for or against a statue doesn't provide any insight as to whether a candidate will make the right decision on that selection. Frankly, I wouldn't trust most of the candidates to inflate the tires on my car correctly

Away from what? All they do is rubber-stamp what the administration puts on the agenda. The key to a university's performance is the president. Being for or against a statue doesn't provide any insight as to whether a candidate will make the right decision on that selection. Frankly, I wouldn't trust most of the candidates to inflate the tires on my car correctly
That’s fair. We just think differently.

Seems that without the company line about diversity, equality and inclusion, a candidate would feel unqualified.

But when I went to PSU in the 1970's PSU was still the PENNSYLVANIA State University. i.e. a much higher percentage of students were actually from PA families. But it seems that PSU has "evolved" into more of the United Nations approach to admissions. And the current political environment could make the shift away from being an actual Pennsylvania first university worse.

So as someone that would rather see PSU admit more students from Pennsylvania, if your vision is really the United Nations approach, I'm not with you.
All colleges have seen their numbers of international students increase. Frankly I’m in favor of accepting the best applicants no matter where their home address is. The smarter the students, the better the professors are, and the better the university is academically. It’s a world economy and competition only strengthens the university. Have you looked at excellent schools like Stanford. Cal Tech, MIT to see what their ratios are? If a PA kid wants to get into PSU he should be able to compete based on merit, not based on his home address without regard to his race or sexual orientation. If he can’t get in, there are a lot of other State colleges he can go to.

All colleges have seen their numbers of international students increase. Frankly I’m in favor of accepting the best applicants no matter where their home address is. The smarter the students, the better the professors are, and the better the university is academically. It’s a world economy and competition only strengthens the university. Have you looked at excellent schools like Stanford. Cal Tech, MIT to see what their ratios are? If a PA kid wants to get into PSU he should be able to compete based on merit, not based on his home address without regard to his race or sexual orientation. If he can’t get in, there are a lot of other State colleges he can go to.

The difference is that none of those schools accept large annual state subsidies.

The difference is that none of those schools accept large annual state subsidies.
Ok well there are plenty of public examples like Cal Berkeley which is 17!% international students. University of California—Berkeley is a public institution that was founded in 1868. ... University of California—Berkeley's ranking in the 2021 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, #22. Its in-state tuition and fees are $14,226; out-of-state tuition and fees are $43,980

Ok well there are plenty of public examples like Cal Berkeley which is 17!% international students. University of California—Berkeley is a public institution that was founded in 1868. ... University of California—Berkeley's ranking in the 2021 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, #22. Its in-state tuition and fees are $14,226; out-of-state tuition and fees are $43,980

Don't know where those numbers are coming from, but they ain't from Cal. Most recent enrollment statistics show 14% foreign students. Those are more than slightly skewed by a 22% enrollment in grad programs. Just guessing that a lot of those are in STEM programs where admissions and financing is, to say the least, complicated. If you want to drill down to prove a point knock yourself out. But since the question at hand is the BoT election, make life easy on yourself and find a candidate whose position on admissions and tuition level most closely mirrors yours.

And closer to home, Michigan is 14.9% foreign students You really want to argue the numbers? I’ve made my point and I’ve voted.

I, personally, am glad that you defended Coach Kaidenov, but what did you win? Was it only money? I do not recall PSU issuing Mea Culpa or Joyner being publicly excoriated.

People want accountability. Usually, that involves transparency. If you measure accountability by the monetary settlement, this is the wrong crowd to solicit.
There was a joint statement issued by Penn State welcoming Coach Kaidanov back to the Penn State family. Before that statement, Coach Kaidanov was not even allowed to attend fencing banquets, practices, or meets. That changed after the settlement. That was the most important thing Coach Kaidanov sought. I agree with you people want accountability. Coach Kaidanov felt vindicated and was extremely pleased with the outcome.

I hope you win and prove me wrong.
Thanks. And yes, I do hope I prove you wrong, only on this occasion. Honestly, this is going to be a very tight election. Every vote matters. If you are so inclined, I would appreciate if you would pass word of my candidacy to other Penn State Alumni. I know I will be held accountable.

Thanks. And yes, I do hope I prove you wrong, only on this occasion. Honestly, this is going to be a very tight election. Every vote matters. If you are so inclined, I would appreciate if you would pass word of my candidacy to other Penn State Alumni. I know I will be held accountable.

Good luck and I will pass the word on. I'm not concerned about you being accountable, it's the pesron sitting in the big office in Old Main. The last time that happened was Spanier when he got fired.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT