ADVERTISEMENT

Making my case to be an Alumni-elected Trustee

AlvindeLevie4PSUBoardOfTrustees

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2021
This is not another "here we ago again election" for the Penn State Board of Trustees. This is the time to be engaged and to be involved. If we don't vote, they won't listen to us. The next Board will select the next Penn State President. This is our chance to be heard. That is why I am running.

My vision is for a Penn State that is innovative, affordable, and inclusive. I am committed to being a strong voice for truth and reason.

My platform is:
  • Maintain Penn State’s status as a world-class university at a reasonable cost;
  • Restore the Paterno legacy;
  • Promote Diversity, Equality and Inclusion;
  • Promote improved Town & Gown relations;
  • Bolster Commonwealth Campuses.

If elected, I will remain engaged in Blue White Illustrated and I will not disappear.

To learn more about me and my candidacy, click here: https://mailchi.mp/dba9af6fa78a/campaign1?e=ebb5b7ab7e

Last edited:
Reactions: Nitwit
Good luck. Personally, I no longer vote in these elections because prior boards and the university administration have made it clear the thoughts of the alumni don't matter. The fact they no longer want to hear public comments at meetings makes it obvious. They're too thin skinned to hear criticism since they feel they have all the answers and the alumni are too stupid to know any better. Get back to me when the B&I trustees no longer run the show.

Last edited:
This is not another "here we ago again election" for the Penn State Board of Trustees. This is the time to be engaged and to be involved. If we don't vote, they won't listen to us. The next Board will select the next Penn State President. This is our chance to be heard. That is why I am running.

My vision is for a Penn State that is innovative, affordable, and inclusive. I am committed to being a strong voice for truth and reason.

My platform is:
  • Maintain Penn State’s status as a world-class university at a reasonable cost;
  • Promote Diversity, Equity and Inclusion;

If elected, I will remain engaged in Blue White Illustrated and I will not disappear.

To learn more about me and my candidacy, click here: https://mailchi.mp/dba9af6fa78a/campaign1?e=ebb5b7ab7e
How do you overcome the 32-8-1 majority of the BOT (Adam T is still abstaining)? China has a better chance of having a minority party create, sponsor, and pass any important business decision than the BOT does.

My platform is:

It doesn’t matter if we vote. They won’t listen to us anyway. Why would they? Alumni-elected trustees, our voice, will be ignored by the powers that be regardless of the number of votes.

”Ira? It’s Mark Dambly. The alumni had a record voter turnout. They mean business this time. We’d better listen to them.”

”Mark, your absolutely right. Let’s give our beloved alumni a forum to be heard, and let’s commit to work with them to right the wrongs and rebuild this community.”

🥰

🙄

My platform is:

Good luck; like many here I'm over the whole BoT Alumni Trustee vote thing, so probably not voting. I do like your platform though.

My platform is:

I'm bored, so let's play. I understand "Diversity." Sort of understand "Inclusion." What's "Equity?"

My platform is:

No thanks. If you believe that "promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion" merits a prominent spot on your platform, you obviously are not a serious candidate.

Last edited:
The vision of the Board needs to focus on making the school relevant for the next 20 years. There is going to be a reckoning in higher ed with the further reduction of bricks and mortar education demand. And the careers of tomorrow will be very different than today, even more drastically different than previous generational changes. How does PSU adapt? Where do we place our resources? How do you make a four year degree more relevant? At my vantage point, it doesn’t mean too much anymore. I see kids with more rudimentary skills entering the workplace nowadays.

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
I'm bored, so let's play. I understand "Diversity." Sort of understand "Inclusion." What's "Equity?"
giphy.gif

My platform is:

Good luck with that.
But to be perfectly honest I don't agree with "Bolstering Common wealth campuses" unless you mean combining some and getting rid of some.

My platform is:

If I were to run, my platform would be more strategic:
  • Make Penn State a world-class university at a reasonable cost;
  • Restore the Paterno's legacy;
  • Going forward, less new construction of buildings at main campus;
  • A stronger blend of in-person and remote learning;
  • Possible consolidation of several branch campuses;

Last edited:

My platform is:

Your platform is laughable. Lets review:
How do you propose doing this? PSU's lack of cost containment, soaring overhead, over staffing and higher than market salaries are driving this. But yet, you want to bolster commonwealth campuses? They should be evaluated and merged or shut down. An overall reduce is greatly needed. No one in the administration has the business acumen and balls to make hard decisions regarding cost control and expenses at Penn State. Until that happens, reasonable cost will not exist. As for world class, explain how our ratings continue to fall against our peer university since Bannon arrived.
What does this even mean anymore? While Joe was an incredibly important figure in the history of Penn State, "restoring" anything will not improve Penn State at this point. At its core, Penn State is about people. As an alumni minority flunky on the BOT you will have zero power to drive the change of people that have damaged this university. While you might think this platform item will engage some people and why you added it. You will have zero power to do it. Stop kidding yourself, or is it lying?
This is already in place at the university and maybe to an excess. I challenge you to provide us with your definitions of each of these items and how you would promote or drive change for each.
Maybe you should run for mayor not the BOT, that job is open too. Again, you have no power here. Tell us what you would change and how you would drive change for us to even think this is a serious item.
See above.

Frankly, your platform is a bunch of platitudes that you will not be in any position to drive change. I challenge you to tell us how you plan to do any of the items on your platform considering the alumni reps are a small minority on the BOT and have been continually marginalized over the past 10 years.

The commonwealth campus issue is a huge one. How can PSU justify having a McKeesport, New Kensington, Beaver and Fayette Campus?

I would support an Erie site, Pittsburgh site, Philly area site, Scranton site and maybe keep Altoona. More than that can't make financial sense.

Erie, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Abington, Altoona, and one of Hazleton/Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.......and that's it.

Good luck with that.
The commonwealth campus issue is a huge one. How can PSU justify having a McKeesport, New Kensington, Beaver and Fayette Campus?

I would support an Erie site, Pittsburgh site, Philly area site, Scranton site and maybe keep Altoona. More than that can't make financial sense.

I agree with almost everything you said especially about merging some that are geographically close.
(New Kensington, Greater Allegheny), (Scranton, Wilkes Barre maybe include Hazelton). Possibly even Hburg and York. Get rid of Fayette, Shenango. But Altoona is on my have to keep list.

Erie, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Abington, Altoona, and one of Hazleton/Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.......and that's it.

The enrollment at branch campuses is almost 40% of PSU’s undergraduate enrollment - think six branch campuses can handle that? Moreover, will kids go to branch campuses if not convenient?

Reactions: step.eng69
The bottom line is this, even if I agreed 100% with your platform (I don't) there is no way you could accomplish any of it. Alumni elected trustees sit at the kids table, and the only way that will ever change is if the legislature gets involved, which it won't.

Reactions: BBrown
I want to re-post something I posted earlier this year, as I think that several of you have a misconception of the workings of the BOT:

I understand the frustration that many folks have in what has taken place since 2011. It took a few years for PSU alumni to overhaul the alumni-elected trustees. And just when they were getting close to being able to make a difference, BOT Chair Keith Masser forced through a change in the composition of the BOT, which made it more difficult for the alumni-elected trustees to accomplish much. It did not help that Masser, then Ira Lupert (who recently resigned from the BOT), and then Mark Dambly served as the respective Chairs of the BOT, as each of them made no effort to treat all trustees equally.

The current BOT, with Matthew Schuyler as the Chair, is the best functioning BOT since PSU alumni took a renewed interest in the process. Schuyler is the first Chair that has treated the alumni-elected trustees with respect, and placed them on committees more aligned to their interests and areas of expertise. Two of the alumni-elected trustees are Chairs of BOT committees, and two are Chairs of sub-committees. As a result of the more even-handed administration of the BOT by the Chair, the alumni-elected trustees are working jointly with many of the other trustees to accomplish some of the things that need to be addressed by PSU.

As Al de Levie indicated in his introductory post, the next BOT has a lot on its plate. They'll be selecting a new President, and also be selecting a new AD. And since the BOT is now making an effort to address the views of the alumni-elected trustees in their decisions, it does seem like this is not a time for alums to be non-participants in the BOT election.

Good luck. Personally, I no longer vote in these elections because prior boards and the university administration have made it clear the thoughts of the alumni don't matter. The fact they no longer want to hear public comments at meetings makes it obvious. They're too thin skinned to hear criticism since they feel they have all the answers and the alumni are too stupid too know any better. Get back to me when the B&I trustees no longer run the show.
I understand everyone’s frustration. I share it. If I am on the board I will be able to state your criticisms, I can be a voice. At least they will have to listen to me. Whether they will do anything about remains to be seen. But let’s try. I do not give up easy. Let me try. I have filed suit against PSU representing Coach Kaidanov, the fencing coach fired. No one gave us a chance. We won.. Give me a chance. You lose nothing and I am willing to give it my best.

How do you overcome the 32-8-1 majority of the BOT (Adam T is still abstaining)? China has a better chance of having a minority party create, sponsor, and pass any important business decision than the BOT does.

Hey, I make no promises. I'm as frustrated as everyone here seems to be, but I'm willing to try. I truly believe when the Board selects the next president, we all need a voice. What do you have to lose by giving me a chance to prove I can do something? I will be ever vigilant to what is posted here and I will be your voice. I ask for your vote, because otherwise no voice representing your thoughts will be heard. I know it might be difficult, but I'm willing to try like hell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fac and CentexLion
I want to re-post something I posted earlier this year, as I think that several of you have a misconception of the workings of the BOT:

I understand the frustration that many folks have in what has taken place since 2011. It took a few years for PSU alumni to overhaul the alumni-elected trustees. And just when they were getting close to being able to make a difference, BOT Chair Keith Masser forced through a change in the composition of the BOT, which made it more difficult for the alumni-elected trustees to accomplish much. It did not help that Masser, then Ira Lupert (who recently resigned from the BOT), and then Mark Dambly served as the respective Chairs of the BOT, as each of them made no effort to treat all trustees equally.

The current BOT, with Matthew Schuyler as the Chair, is the best functioning BOT since PSU alumni took a renewed interest in the process. Schuyler is the first Chair that has treated the alumni-elected trustees with respect, and placed them on committees more aligned to their interests and areas of expertise. Two of the alumni-elected trustees are Chairs of BOT committees, and two are Chairs of sub-committees. As a result of the more even-handed administration of the BOT by the Chair, the alumni-elected trustees are working jointly with many of the other trustees to accomplish some of the things that need to be addressed by PSU.

As Al de Levie indicated in his introductory post, the next BOT has a lot on its plate. They'll be selecting a new President, and also be selecting a new AD. And since the BOT is now making an effort to address the views of the alumni-elected trustees in their decisions, it does seem like this is not a time for alums to be non-participants in the BOT election.
giphy.gif

I am not timid. We must have a voice in picking the next President. If we are not engaged, if we do not try, we will be ignored even more. Give me a shot please. I agree with Tom Mc Andrews post, now is the time for all of us to reengage. It’s on me. I am willing to try, but i need everyone’s help. No skin off anyone’s back.

Good luck; like many here I'm over the whole BoT Alumni Trustee vote thing, so probably not voting. I do like your platform though.
If you like my platform. Give me a chance.No skin off your back. If elected I will remain engaged with you guys. the more i speak out, the more you guys will be heard. Nothing to lose. Please vote.

My platform is:

There was a time when I voted in all Penn State elections (Trustee, Alumni Council, etc.) Of course, that was when I actually gave a damn about what happened to Dear Old State. I no longer do. I only frequent this board because I have come to enjoy the people who post here.
It may be arrogant on my part, but I believe that when Penn State lost the interest of people like me, it lost a lot. I no longer donate, have not been back to campus in years (and have no desire to return), and will make no effort to make Penn State a better place. My time, and my treasure, is now spent elsewhere. That said, I wish you well. I have spent much of my recent years "tilting at windmills" but I do so where I actually have a chance, however small, to make a difference. At Penn State that chance no longer exists.

I am not timid. We must have a voice in picking the next President. If we are not engaged, if we do not try, we will be ignored even more. Give me a shot please. I agree with Tom Mc Andrews post, now is the time for all of us to reengage. It’s on me. I am willing to try, but i need everyone’s help. No skin off anyone’s back.
Again, you are avoiding the question of how you will take action, how will you drive change? Tom's post is more opinion than fact especially about the BOT chairman who is an old guard tottie.

Reactions: manofsteel200
So, you're running on the statue and a plan to "bolster" commonwealth campuses that should be shut down to cut costs.

Interesting.

The Commonwealth Campuses serve an important function. Many students at them cannot afford to go away to college and live at home and/or also have jobs while they study. The campuses also provide opportunities for many in the communities and local schools to use the facilities and to benefit from Penn State. They are an important economic recourse to many of the communities.

The Commonwealth Campuses serve an important function. Many students at them cannot afford to go away to college and live at home and/or also have jobs while they study. The campuses also provide opportunities for many in the communities and local schools to use the facilities and to benefit from Penn State. They are an important economic recourse to many of the communities.

If they are so important, why are virtually all the commonwealth campus enrollments in a freefall? I suggest looking into the dollars/cents before campaigning on keeping all 20+ alive.

Reactions: Sullivan and BBrown
Hey, I make no promises. I'm as frustrated as everyone here seems to be, but I'm willing to try. I truly believe when the Board selects the next president, we all need a voice. What do you have to lose by giving me a chance to prove I can do something? I will be ever vigilant to what is posted here and I will be your voice. I ask for your vote, because otherwise no voice representing your thoughts will be heard. I know it might be difficult, but I'm willing to try like hell.
I gave you your first LIKE as you certainly are persistent. But remember that we have been promised by every prior Alumni BOT participant before, and most have been hollow promises. Hell, they even voted YEAH for the Ira Chairman selection. After the election, all disappeared except Lubrano. He certainly talked the talk, and knew how to get votes with his narrative. But not a single Alumni sponsored action occurred. Guess they are still proof reading the Freeh Report.

But I'll certainly think about it. Would you be willing to upset the apple cart if you see actions that are immoral and unethical, despite having a Non Disclosure/Excommunication mandate hanging over your head? If you see something terribly wrong, would you be a whistleblower and possibly get lawsuits thrown at you by PSU and the BOT? I thought other ones would, but was terribly wrong. I really believe the prior Alumni candidates were actually plants by the Cabal to make us feel like we had input.

The vision of the Board needs to focus on making the school relevant for the next 20 years. There is going to be a reckoning in higher ed with the further reduction of bricks and mortar education demand. And the careers of tomorrow will be very different than today, even more drastically different than previous generational changes. How does PSU adapt? Where do we place our resources? How do you make a four year degree more relevant? At my vantage point, it doesn’t mean too much anymore. I see kids with more rudimentary skills entering the workplace nowadays.

I agree with you. Those questions need to be asked of the candidates to be the next Penn State President. Well said.

Good luck with that.
But to be perfectly honest I don't agree with "Bolstering Common wealth campuses" unless you mean combining some and getting rid of some.

Universities and colleges are consolidating everywhere. It is something that has to be considered. Give me a chance. Please vote for me.

If I were to run, my platform would be more strategic:
  • Make Penn State a world-class university at a reasonable cost;
  • Restore the Paterno's legacy;
  • Going forward, less new construction of buildings at main campus;
  • A stronger blend of in-person and remote learning;
  • Possible consolidation of several branch campuses;

I agree with you. My first post was only a beginning. Please look at the positions I support on the Board of Trustee website where you can read about my candidacy.

Where is the data to support this? Many in state kids are being pushed to the commonwealth campuses to bring out of state kids (read full out of state tuition) to main campus. While your claim might have been true several years ago, it is not the case now. Due to PSU's cost, most students are funding their educations via loans so the financial impact of living away from home is lessened during the enrollment period.

Reactions: BBrown
The bottom line is this, even if I agreed 100% with your platform (I don't) there is no way you could accomplish any of it. Alumni elected trustees sit at the kids table, and the only way that will ever change is if the legislature gets involved, which it won't.

I agree with Tom McAndrew. Things have lightened up a bit. There's no skin off your back by giving me the chance to try to accomplish something. I don't give up easy. I'm as frustrated as you are, and now I want to try. You have nothing to lose by voting for me.

Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT