ADVERTISEMENT

Major Parking Zone Changes for Stadium Traffic

heb65

Aug 10, 2001
Penn State made a major change last year to the Zone Parking System for several parking Lots in Parking Zones W (west) and E (east). Sandy's Associate Athletic Director sent us an email and acknowledged that they made these changes "in an effort to better alleviate traffic congestion on Park Ave."
Many of my friends and others took advantage of this significant change so we did not have to sit in the major traffic congestion on Park Ave going to & from the Stadium during the One-Way Traffic period. Some fans were actually sent the different Zone Passes without even having to ask (including myself), depending where you lived and the direction you would be coming from to the Stadium.

Some of the Changes: Fans parking in Lots 17 & 18, which are in the W (west) Zone are allowed to get a N (north) Zone Pass to access the Lots via Fox Hollow Road. Fans parking in Lot 31, which is in the E (east) Zone, are allowed to get a S (south) Zone Pass to access the Lot via Porter Road.

These changes were not made public last year for unknown reasons. Therefore you need to request the different Zone Pass for your W and E Parking Lots. As the Assoc. AD advised us by email, Penn State is making an effort to better alleviate traffic congestion on Park Ave.

And they will still screw it up the first game of the year.... I recall coming in once on Fox Hollow and they took us down and around on Orchard and crossed Park. No idea why.

We always came in on Fox Hollow as we could get out easier after the game.

• Haha
Reactions: step.eng69
And they will still screw it up the first game of the year.... I recall coming in once on Fox Hollow and they took us down and around on Orchard and crossed Park. No idea why.

We always came in on Fox Hollow as we could get out easier after the game.
If you have a N (north) Zone Pass for the W (west) Lots, including Lots 17 & 18, during the One-Way Traffic Pattern, you will be directed down Fox Hollow Road by the police and will turn right onto Park Ave and to your Lot. These directions are actually printed on the back of the Pass for Lots 17 and 18 (which I have copies).
I assume you have either E or S Zone Pass.

If you have a N (north) Zone Pass for the W (west) Lots, including Lots 17 & 18, during the One-Way Traffic Pattern, you will be directed down Fox Hollow Road by the police and will turn right onto Park Ave and to your Lot. These directions are actually printed on the back of the Pass for Lots 17 and 18 (which I have copies).
I assume you have either E or S Zone Pass.
I no longer have season tickets (since ca. 2014). I was merely commenting on the inability of PSU to get parking right, especially for the first game, from my years of experience.

I no longer have season tickets (since ca. 2014). I was merely commenting on the inability of PSU to get parking right, especially for the first game, from my years of experience.
Many fans are losing interest with Penn State because of the Very Poor 'Game Day Experience' and may not renew their tickets or give less $$. Sandy claimed that there was a 'safety' problem at the Park Ave and Fox Hollow intersection and causing her to hire a Consultant and for her to institute the Flawed '2019 Traffic and Parking Plan' which caused thousands to sit hours in Traffic going to or from the Stadium on Park Ave. This caused Very BAD GameDay Experience. Last season, our friends have contacted the PennDOT Regional Office and Pennsylvania 'State Police' offices to see if there was a safety problem in the past at that intersection. Both offices said there were none.
Sandy is not going public
with her changes last season with the Parking Zone Changes on Park Ave because it would expose her to the fact that her '2019 Traffic and Parking Plan' was Flawed. Her Assoc. Athletic Director said in his email to us: "In an effort to better alleviate traffic congestion on Park Ave", they made these changes last season.

Reactions: bison13
Penn State made a major change last year to the Zone Parking System for several parking Lots in Parking Zones W (west) and E (east). Sandy's Associate Athletic Director sent us an email and acknowledged that they made these changes "in an effort to better alleviate traffic congestion on Park Ave."
Many of my friends and others took advantage of this significant change so we did not have to sit in the major traffic congestion on Park Ave going to & from the Stadium during the One-Way Traffic period. Some fans were actually sent the different Zone Passes without even having to ask (including myself), depending where you lived and the direction you would be coming from to the Stadium.

Some of the Changes: Fans parking in Lots 17 & 18, which are in the W (west) Zone are allowed to get a N (north) Zone Pass to access the Lots via Fox Hollow Road. Fans parking in Lot 31, which is in the E (east) Zone, are allowed to get a S (south) Zone Pass to access the Lot via Porter Road.

These changes were not made public last year for unknown reasons. Therefore you need to request the different Zone Pass for your W and E Parking Lots. As the Assoc. AD advised us by email, Penn State is making an effort to better alleviate traffic congestion on Park Ave.
My friends just renewed their West Zone Parking in Lots 17 & 18 and asked for and will receive (N) North Zone Passes so they can avoid the major traffic mess on Park Avenue and enter and leave via Fox Hollow Road. This change was instituted quietly by Penn State Athletics last year to reduce the traffic problem delays on Park Ave.

I have no idea what parking/traffic issues you are talking about but as far as i'm concerned, Sandy's parking changes/zones have been the best thing to happen at the stadium in decades. I'm in lot 38 and enter/leave via Park Avenue. I'm in and out in minutes versus hours to leave during the big night games. After the Auburn game this year, I stayed for the entire game, walked casually to my car, got in and drove directly out of my lot onto Park, onto 99 and onto I-80 and never came to a complete stop until I pulled over in Lamar to get a drink.

Looks like mobile parking passes will be in play for this season one has to wonder how that will fly on actual game days when fans are trying to get into their assigned lot without a huge backup... sometimes the old ways of doing things are the best.

Looks like mobile parking passes will be in play for this season one has to wonder how that will fly on actual game days when fans are trying to get into their assigned lot without a huge backup... sometimes the old ways of doing things are the best.
Well mobile tickets weren't a problem at the gates. They had to scan your parking pass anyway so whats the difference?

Well mobile tickets weren't a problem at the gates. They had to scan your parking pass anyway so whats the difference?
A couple of things while the university in general did a better job in getting wifi access to work well around the stadium but if you are in the lots that might be a mile away from the stadium it might be a different thing all together.

If you think that things will go smoothly trying to get into the lots when fans are scanning a phone rather that having a lettered and numbered tag in the window that is easy to be seen by all those parking guys doing their best to make things go smoothly.

Last year when it was stated that everything would be mobile only however on any given gamely guys selling tickets around campus had fistfuls of hard tickets in hand. I would expect they same type of thing when the dust settles this fall as fans will demand the choice.

ADVERTISEMENT