ADVERTISEMENT

Maintenance & Safety Question

SheldonJoe2215

Oct 3, 2015
Seattle, WA
I have a small business that operates in a strip mall. It looks like we have several bad lamp ballasts that are causing our 4 of our 4' overhead fluorescent light fixtures to not work. I was able to replace the fluorescent bulbs with LED bulbs and the lights work fine now. I was not planning on making any repairs to the lamp ballasts. Does this create a safety issue?

Thanks.

I have a small business that operates in a strip mall. It looks like we have several bad lamp ballasts that are causing our 4 of our 4' overhead fluorescent light fixtures to not work. I was able to replace the fluorescent bulbs with LED bulbs and the lights work fine now. I was not planning on making any repairs to the lamp ballasts. Does this create a safety issue?

Thanks.
No safety hazard, but the longevity of the LED bulbs might be shortened depending on the type of LED bulb you purchased.

http://www.premierltg.com/should-you-replace-your-t8-fluorescent-lamps-with-t8-led-tubes-2/

I'm curious as to why you think the ballasts are going bad? Are you sure the fluorescent bulbs weren't burned-out? If the ballasts continue to give you trouble, just replace them. They're only $10 apiece.

Last edited:
Reactions: 91Joe95
No safety hazard, but the longevity of the LED bulbs might be shortened depending on the type of LED bulb you purchased.

http://www.premierltg.com/should-you-replace-your-t8-fluorescent-lamps-with-t8-led-tubes-2/

I'm curious as to why you think the ballasts are going bad? Are you sure the fluorescent bulbs weren't burned-out? If the ballasts continue to give you trouble, just replace them. They're only $10 apiece.

I think the ballasts are bad because we swapped the new bulbs in-and-out of various fixtures and they worked fine in the 'non-bad' lamps.

You can also use line-voltage LED lamps that don't require a ballast. Remove the ballasts from the fixtures and rewire the lamp holders (sockets) directly to the incoming circuit wiring.

Reactions: 91Joe95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT