ADVERTISEMENT

MAC schools creates conference for e-sports

Metal Mike

Jan 4, 2015
I read in yesterday's "Baltimore Sun" that a dozen schools in the MAC are creating a stand alone conference to allow structured competition in video games. They are establishing rules to go around the NCAA. They acknowledge that many of the top gamers have already gone "pro". These schools are attempting to recruit top gamers. Many schools have e-sports clubs, this is an attempt to put e-sports in a structured environment with a minimum set of rules.

Reactions: Bob78
I read in yesterday's "Baltimore Sun" that a dozen schools in the MAC are creating a stand alone conference to allow structured competition in video games. They are establishing rules to go around the NCAA. They acknowledge that many of the top gamers have already gone "pro". These schools are attempting to recruit top gamers. Many schools have e-sports clubs, this is an attempt to put e-sports in a structured environment with a minimum set of rules.
I'm imagining what that recruiting is like. In-home visits considered de rigueur?

I'm a fan personally, but it doesn't look like the Esports are going anywhere. I thought they'd be a flash in the pan but seems they have enough support and sponsorships to stick around as poker has in terms of competitions / broadcasts / endorsements etc.

It looks like a MAC school is finally going to win a national championship.

Let's see what else we can think of that young people do that can be made into a competition that colleges can do.

Swimsuit competitions (We don't want to be sexist so we'll do both male and female.)

Oh, here's a good one. Beer drinking competition. That one is obvious.

I'm a fan personally, but it doesn't look like the Esports are going anywhere. I thought they'd be a flash in the pan but seems they have enough support and sponsorships to stick around as poker has in terms of competitions / broadcasts / endorsements etc.

I mean, there are some 2.7 billion 'gamers' in the world (also, did you see the PS5 reveal yesterday!!??) and if only a portion are at all interested in watching pro gamers, it's probably a pretty solid investment. I would think it's relatively low overhead too, so good on the MAC for getting a head start on this. I game and watch videos from time to time, but I can't get into competitive e-sports (like Overwatch).

Esports brings in a ton of money. For some of the top competitions top prizes are in the millions. They aren't going anywhere anytime soon, and I'd expect other conferences to follow suit.

I understand that Penn State is prepared to field e-sports teams with a collection of Atari 2600s. That’s all they can afford right now, but Sandy is putting Xbox consoles in the FACILITY. MASTER. PLAN. :eek: . Just need a well-heeled donor to step up.

A 16 year old kid from a local school won the Fortnite championship last summer. The prize was $3 million. He said he practices ~12 h/day. Also has a 4.0. He has multiple scholarship offers, so will pay nothing for college. He was on the Tonight Show and others. We can laugh all we want, but how many parents would be happy if their kid had that kind of career in HS. Apparently he also makes a good chunk of change by having a Youtube channel that kids pay to watch him play. It's a different world.

Reactions: bison13
I have not used up my 4years of eligibility. Can I go to grad school and get a schollie to play Monopoly and Risk?

I thought this was a club sport. i don't think the ADs at the school or actual conference people operate these teams. it would be cool if there still was EA college football now with names. the esports teams could play with their own college team. I think these esports teams are playing the skate boarders' games like League of Legends.

A 16 year old kid from a local school won the Fortnite championship last summer. The prize was $3 million. He said he practices ~12 h/day. Also has a 4.0. He has multiple scholarship offers, so will pay nothing for college. He was on the Tonight Show and others. We can laugh all we want, but how many parents would be happy if their kid had that kind of career in HS. Apparently he also makes a good chunk of change by having a Youtube channel that kids pay to watch him play. It's a different world.
Agree it's crazy. Had a kid a few years ago who dropped out of school because he was doing professional gaming. Had same set up on you tube as your guy.

I wouldn't be excited if my kid was doing any one thing 12 hours a day. Nothing about that sounds like a recipe for an emotionally healthy adult. As for this specific activity, there are any number of studies on the impact of extensive screen and gaming time on youth, and none suggest it's anything but harmful.

Last edited:
remember when "sport" required getting up off the couch?

Maybe the next sport colleges could add is couch-sitting. In addition to duration, we have stylistic items, like, how you sit, how well you can reach and consume your food and drinks while you sit, whether you have to expend energy to move your body while you fart or whether instead you can just casually squeeze one off, etc. Couch sitting is a highly developed skill and those who have spent a lot of time developing their skill should not go unrewarded.

Maybe the next sport colleges could add is couch-sitting. In addition to duration, we have stylistic items, like, how you sit, how well you can reach and consume your food and drinks while you sit, whether you have to expend energy to move your body while you fart or whether instead you can just casually squeeze one off, etc. Couch sitting is a highly developed skill and those who have spent a lot of time developing their skill should not go unrewarded.
I was ahead of my time:(

I understand that Penn State is prepared to field e-sports teams with a collection of Atari 2600s. That’s all they can afford right now, but Sandy is putting Xbox consoles in the FACILITY. MASTER. PLAN. :eek: . Just need a well-heeled donor to step up.

She'll hire an assistant AD for esports soon

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT