ADVERTISEMENT

Lucas Glover attacked by wife

You cant drive drunk without drinking. You can, and many people do, commit DV while stone cold sober.

Alcohol does not cause DV.
Captain Obvious says...
tenor.gif

You can’t post drunk without drinking!

Reactions: LoyalandTrueLion
Huh? I never said it "causes" DV. But it is a big contributor. There is a clear line, at least 80%. I am done with the subject. If you want to stick your head in the sand, so be it. Do the research.

Amazing to me that people don't see this...more amazing that they feel the need to deny it. Not sure why.
I work weekly with perpetrators. They think alcohol causes DV. They'r wrong too.

I work weekly with perpetrators. They think alcohol causes DV. They'r wrong too.
nobody said it "causes DV"...I always respect your posts but then you go and do this stuff (make things up). drinking does not cause traffic fatalities....guns don't shoot people....heroin use does not guarantee death....tall guys are not always better basketball players....

Whatever.

Give me a drunk who abuses his wife, who then sobers up. You still got an abuser.

nobody said it "causes DV"...I always respect your posts but then you go and do this stuff (make things up). drinking does not cause traffic fatalities....guns don't shoot people....heroin use does not guarantee death....tall guys are not always better basketball players....

Whatever.
Every drunk driver is drunk, by definition. Sober up an abuser. And unless he addresses his beliefs, he will continue.

Whatever.
Your "solution" in your first post was: "stop drinking."

Not a solution.

If she REALLY cared she’d be out there doing her share inside the ropes caddying for him.

But NOOOOO.....

His "better half" caddying for him? What could possibly go wrong? I can envision her toting the bag and watching his shots right now:

"Great shot, pussy."

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Your "solution" in your first post was: "stop drinking."

Not a solution.

So I guess you just defeated your argument to outlaw "assault weapons".

there isn't "A solution" to any complex problems...but there are "solutions".

80% of domestic violence is associated with booze. That figure is far less when considering how many traffic accidents are associated with drinking and driving...yet, anti-drinking and driving programs are considered very successful.

Again, whatever, it is amazing to me that you seem to want "a solution" to a very complex problem. Seems to me, you are being disingenuous. Why? I have no idea.

Stop drinking. Two words.

Councilors will tell you, 99% of domestic violence comes with drinking involved. No booze, no abuse.

I know people don't want to hear it but it's true. (So let's go legalize pot)
Obli: Your sig pic is simultaneously amazing and ridiculous.

"Hey, I know where we can play some world class golf for really cheap! What are the odds of the thing erupting while we're there? You just gotta bring a gas mask in case the wind changes direction."

80% of domestic violence is associated with booze. That figure is far less when considering how many traffic accidents are associated with drinking and driving...yet, anti-drinking and driving programs are considered very successful.
This isn't a debate I'm very interested in joining but where does that 80% come from? Since intoxication isn't a prerequisite for being arrested for domestic violence, there's no requirement for police to collect that information. It may be noted in a report narrative but there's no formal mechanism in place for accurate collection. I know for certain very few, if any, domestic violence perpetrators are given BAC tests. The only reasons I can think of is if the violator is also being charged with an alcohol related offense or if the violator is dead and the BAC is determined in conjunction with an autopsy.

As a wise statistician once said, 53% of statistics are made up.

Last edited:
This isn't a debate I'm very interested in joining but where does that 80% come from? Since intoxication isn't a prerequisite for being arrested for domestic violence, there's no requirement for police to collect that information. It may be noted in a report narrative but there's no formal mechanism in place for collection. I know for certain very few, if any, domestic violence perpetrators are given BAC tests. The only reasons I can think of is if the violator is also being charged with an alcohol related offense or if the violator is dead and the BAC is determined in conjunction with an autopsy.

As a wise statistician once said, 53% of statistics are made up.

you can google it. my wife is a phd and we discuss it all the time. Her experience is that it may not be cause, but its closes. AA teaches this about kids and spouses. Here is one such article stating 90% of domestic abuse is accompanied by substance abuse:

• 95% of all violent crime on college campuses involves the use of alcohol by the assailant, victim or both.
    • 90% of acquaintance rape and sexual assault on college campuses involves the use of alcohol by the assailant, victim or both.
According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, two-thirds of victims suffering violence by a current or former spouse or partner report that the perpetrator had been drinking, compared to less than one-third of stranger victimizations. Among spouse victims, three out of four incidents reportedly involved an offender who had been drinking.

According to a 1999 study, women assaulted by intimate partners during the past 12 months reported significantly higher substance abuse as well as other health- related problems. Of those women experiencing physical violence, 33 percent reported drug and alcohol problems, compared to 16 percent of those who did not experience violence.

Domestic violence also has an effect on other family members. A study in Massachusetts found that children who witnessed abuse of their maternal caregiver were 50 % more likely to abuse drugs and/or alcohol.

Among victims of domestic violence, alcohol played a role in 55% of the cases, while drugs played a role in only 9% of the cases; for spousal violence, alcohol was a factor in 65% of the cases, versus only 5% for drugs.​

Again, whatever, it is amazing to me that you seem to want "a solution" to a very complex problem. Seems to me, you are being disingenuous. Why? I have no idea.

Chi Town wanted to hear proposed solutions. You said:
"Stop drinking. Two words.
Councilors will tell you, 99% of domestic violence comes with drinking involved. No booze, no abuse.
I know people don't want to hear it but it's true. (So let's go legalize pot)"

We wont talk about how 99% became 80%, (or even the 65% you now seem to be claiming) because you don't like it when people make things up, right? Lol.

This is something I know about from working with abusers successfully for almost ten years, at least one and sometimes two nights a week, 8 to 18 guys in a class. Many of them were not drunk when they did it...way over 1%, way over your amended figure of 20%.

The re-offense rate is generally about 45-60%. If they complete our class, the re-offense rate is <10%.

These people have to change their lives. You cannot do that very successfully when you are drunk, usually, so we send them to AA also, but do not get it twisted--lots of sober guys commit this crime, and the vast, overwhelming majority of drunks never do.

I am not a professional in the field, but I have studied it a great deal. If you focus on drinking, you are missing the real causes of DV.

They do not do it because they are drunk. They do it because they believe they have the right to do it. Will they make better choices at the margins if they are not drunk? Sure, and that is why quitting alcohol is important. But it cannot take the place of the actual cure which is to change your beliefs.

Many of these guys think their poor choices in women lead them into this. Nope. Their abusive beliefs do. You think quitting drinking is hard? Changing beliefs is much harder.

Saudi Arabia has quite a high rate of DV, and almost no alcohol. Why? Beliefs. Entitlement.

Last edited:

?

you can google it. my wife is a phd and we discuss it all the time. Her experience is that it may not be cause, but its closes. AA teaches this about kids and spouses. Here is one such article stating 90% of domestic abuse is accompanied by substance abuse:

• 95% of all violent crime on college campuses involves the use of alcohol by the assailant, victim or both.
    • 90% of acquaintance rape and sexual assault on college campuses involves the use of alcohol by the assailant, victim or both.
First, on an unrelated note, I clicked on your embedded link. There is a photo of a guy in handcuffs. When I move my cursor over the photo it automatically zooms in a bit on the guy's ass. C'mon man, don't do that to me. :eek:

I read the article and couldn't find the 90% statistic for domestic violence. The percentages in the above quote are for college campus assaults. Regarding other offenses, I have no argument with the article's numbers for drugs besides alcohol having an impact. Here where I live most property offenses are likely committed by people trying to support a drug habit. It's sad all around.

Years ago I worked in an area were the police were often called to a particular residence for domestic incidents. The male party would come home from work stone cold sober and force his female partner to do a wide range of degrading things, none of which I will mention here. If she refused a physical assault followed. She'd call the police, the guy would be arrested, then the woman would later refuse to testify. A few days later the same thing would happen again. It was frustrating and again, sad all around.

Regardless of percentages, domestic violence by either party for any reason is unacceptable. Over and out........

First, on an unrelated note, I clicked on your embedded link. There is a photo of a guy in handcuffs. When I move my cursor over the photo it automatically zooms in a bit on the guy's ass. C'mon man, don't do that to me. :eek:

I read the article and couldn't find the 90% statistic for domestic violence. The percentages in the above quote are for college campus assaults. Regarding other offenses, I have no argument with the article's numbers for drugs besides alcohol having an impact. Here where I live most property offenses are likely committed by people trying to support a drug habit. It's sad all around.

Years ago I worked in an area were the police were often called to a particular residence for domestic incidents. The male party would come home from work stone cold sober and force his female partner to do a wide range of degrading things, none of which I will mention here. If she refused a physical assault followed. She'd call the police, the guy would be arrested, then the woman would later refuse to testify. A few days later the same thing would happen again. It was frustrating and again, sad all around.

Regardless of percentages, domestic violence by either party for any reason is unacceptable. Over and out........
Ha! your first problem is never mouse over a guy's butt!

I agree with everything you said. I simply posted one of hundreds of hits I got when googling associations with booze and domestic violence. IIRC, the lowest I saw was 2.3rds (66%) others go as high as 90%. My personal experience, my wife's old practice, was higher than that.

My point is that booze is highly connected to domestic violence. If you could eliminate booze, you'd see a big reduction in DV. Simply go to any AA meeting and ask the volunteers. I know getting rid of booze is not practical. However, I do question why a comedian or star can say 'hey who is high/drunk" and get a big cheer like it is some kind of accomplishment. How did we get there? Wouldn't a comment like "hey who has accomplished having a good time without getting high/drunk?" deserve a much heartier cheer? Regardless, if you have DV issues, you would be much closer to recovery is you stopped drinking. I am 100% sure of that.

hqdefault.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT