ADVERTISEMENT

Lubrano must go...

But you said PSU basketball should follow wrestling’s lead and bring in the best coach, recruit the hell out of the region and dominate. That’s never going to happen in basketball because it’s not the same situation that wrestling has.
Why not? Philly, Pittsburgh, Baltimore and DC are within a few hours of State College. Why do other non-city schools do so well in basketball but PSU can’t? 13 years ago, PSU wrestling was a middling program sitting in a talent-rich state. It took an amazing coach to buy in to what PSU offered.

Do the same in hoops…(I know…easier said than done.)

You basically have it, but people wonder if PSU could have made an offer compelling enough to convince him to stay (and if not, why not). Sounds like money wasn't an issue for him, he just got the offer he wanted and decided to make his move while he had the chance. Sucks for us.

Now we will see if the new AD cares about basketball, and how much. The coaching search will tell us allot.
i think money was definitely an issue. he is now the highest paid basketball coach at any college in Indiana. More than Painter, Matta and Woodson. That is actually kind of bizarre given that his best season was 10th place in the big ten, and that his 2024 team was guaranteed to tank

Reactions: OzLion
When we hired Cael he had only been at Iowa State for three years. People knew he would be a star so PSU paid him a lot. They didn't go out and hire a coach who had already won 10 national titles and was near retirement. i'm saying i think we should follow the model used when they hired Cael

so you are saying we can't hire Self away from Kansas. No, and nobody can, plus he may be ending his career soon due to health.

$4 million will get us someone extremely good, though
I think paying $4 million gets us into the Mike Rhodes, Dusty May, or Wojo range...we pay closer to $2 million, and it's more like the Matt Langel, Gerry McNamara, Darian DeVries, John Becker range. Promote Adam Fisher and it's probably closer to 1.3 to 1.5 million.

The thing is should we hire Mike Rhodes or Dusty May, many of our casual basketball fans will say "who?, why didn't we hire a better head coach...we should have hired a big name", much like when we hired Micah.

Why not? Philly, Pittsburgh, Baltimore and DC are within a few hours of State College. Why do other non-city schools do so well in basketball but PSU can’t? 13 years ago, PSU wrestling was a middling program sitting in a talent-rich state. It took an amazing coach to buy in to what PSU offered.

When we hired Cael, didn't we make him the highest paid head coach in the country? Do you think doing the same thing is realistic in basketball? Again, any comparison between men's basketball and wrestling is apples and oranges....the level of commitment it takes to be a big time program in men's hoops is completely different than in wrestling (and it gets even exponentially bigger in the age of NIL).

The thing is should we hire Mike Rhodes or Dusty May, many of our casual basketball fans will say "who?, why didn't we hire a better head coach...we should have hired a big name", much like when we hired Micah.
i say combine them and you have Dusty Rhodes

When we hired Cael, didn't we make him the highest paid head coach in the country? Do you think doing the same thing is realistic in basketball? Again, any comparison between men's basketball and wrestling is apples and oranges....the level of commitment it takes to be a big time program in men's hoops is completely different than in wrestling (and it gets even exponentially bigger in the age of NIL).

i don't know but that's not really the point either

to get a coach who is in Cael's situation from 2009, or whenever it was that we hired him, it wouldn't require the highest salary in the country. some of the highest paid basketball coaches right now are living off of accomplishments from 25 years ago. Izzo definitely falls in that category. Highest paid B1G coach by a lot, and I'm not even sure why anymore. wouldn't want psu to target him even if they could. a different world from the lower revenue sports lik wrestling.
$3.5-$4 million is going to get interest from the right group

Last edited:
Yes, totally agree that the comparison is dumb…which is why I was originally arguing with BB for implying that PSU fans are clueless because they support wrestling. What the hell does one thing have to do with the other?

That said, given our proximity to large basketball-rich cities, there is no reason PSU can’t pull in (and keep) a top 10 type of basketball coach. It’s really sad...Micah was building something really good and I think, with some nurturing, it could have been amazing. Back to square one, I guess.

That said, given our proximity to large basketball-rich cities, there is no reason PSU can’t pull in (and keep) a top 10 type of basketball coach. It’s really sad...Micah was building something really good and I think, with some nurturing, it could have been amazing. Back to square one, I guess.
we heard for a long time that we couldn't get any players from Philadelphia. they just wouldn't come to PSU, we were told

some of us noticed that we never seemed to try. Then Chambers came in and all of a sudden that's not a problem anymore (because it never was a real problem, other than the problem that we weren't trying)

then we hear that we can't afford anyone. but were just willing to make our 2nd year coach the 2nd highest paid in the conference. so that's not adding up either

just stop overthinking it and put some real effort in to creating a winner. that's all we need to do

we heard for a long time that we couldn't get any players from Philadelphia. they just wouldn't come to PSU, we were told

some of us noticed that we never seemed to try. Then Chambers came in and all of a sudden that's not a problem anymore (because it never was a real problem, other than the problem that we weren't trying)
You're ignoring that no one in the Big Ten was doing much damage in the Northeast...then the Big Ten network and the addition of two Northeastern schools increased our Northeastern footprint, the Big East fell apart and they lost some of their grip on the talent in the region, and many schools in the conference are pulling in more players from the region. It simply goes deeper than "the problem was we weren't trying"...and Pat's philly connections also played a large role in really getting the Philly kids (as did Urgo's with the DMV).

Reactions: The Spin Meister
You're ignoring that no one in the Big Ten was doing much damage in the Northeast...then the Big Ten network and the addition of two Northeastern schools increased our Northeastern footprint, the Big East fell apart and they lost some of their grip on the talent in the region, and many schools in the conference are pulling in more players from the region. It simply goes deeper than "the problem was we weren't trying"...and Pat's philly connections also played a large role in getting the Philly kids (as did Urgo's with the DMV).
i totally disagree

Dunn and DeChellis were not trying

Dunn even admitted he was not trying. He made the statement that there were no good basketball players in PA (this is roughly two years after Kobe Bryant won a PIAA title)

i totally disagree

Dunn and DeChellis were not trying

Dunn even admitted he was not trying. He made the statement that there were no good basketball players in PA (this is roughly two years after Kobe Bryant won a PIAA title)
Ed pulled in Drew Jones, made a run at his teammate Jason Love, got Ott, etc. He was obviously trying.

it should happen. a very high level coach. the "best coach" is not even a real thing in basketball. so if we can pay 4 million per year, which it appears that we can, we can get a pretty high level coach. it needs to be somebody who knows Philadelphia. Shrewsberry being an indiana person was probably a strike against him for this job, IMO
We could certainly get better, but we’ll never dominate basketball like we do wrestling…neither will any basketball program.

Ed pulled in Drew Jones, made a run at his teammate Jason Love, got Ott, etc. He was obviously trying.
Ed was quick to retreat and his recruiting comfort zones seemed to be upstate NY, Ohio and the Harrisburg area. plus his experiment with Euros. He just didn't make any sense to me. He didn't belong in the Big Ten at all

Dunn recruited all over the place, except in PA

We could certainly get better, but we’ll never dominate basketball like we do wrestling…neither will any basketball program.
yeah exactly. Oklahoma State won 34 national titles in wrestling. Penn State won 10 within a 15 year time span. There is no basketball program that does that because it is much more competitive

Because no school dominates basketball like PSU dominates wrestling. Plus far more schools care about basketball than wrestling, so the pool of competition isn’t nearly as big.

Because no school dominates basketball like PSU dominates wrestling. Plus far more schools care about basketball than wrestling, so the pool of competition isn’t nearly as big.
No school dominates any sport like PSU dominates wrestling. The most enjoyable thing about winning these wrestling titles is witnessing Iowa fans eat their own livers. They are so flustered, they’ve resorted to “but…but….but…Sandusky” (and of course booing our injured football players).

The most enjoyable thing about winning these wrestling titles is witnessing Iowa fans eat their own livers. They are so flustered, they’ve resorted to “but…but….but…Sandusky” (and of course booing our injured football players).
if that's the most enjoyable part, i will pass

Reactions: Erial_Lion
if that's the most enjoyable part, i will pass
Fair enough. Perhaps I should have said…”After celebrating with our individual athletes and team performance, the most enjoyable part…”. Assumed you would have understood that the first part was a given.

But hey…to each his own.

not about Lubrano, but Jay posted on Twitter trying to defend the BOT and got an interesting response from Mauti

edit: just read someone's account of the BOT mtg. the title of this thread is a correct statement

Last edited:
not about Lubrano, but Jay posted on Twitter trying to defend the BOT and got an interesting response from Mauti

edit: just read someone's account of the BOT mtg. the title of this thread is a correct statement
Mauti went off on Jay. Jay was never very popular.

Why not??? We’ve been say that for decades.. why not? Because they do not want to. The fat cats want to give it all to Football which is a money pit because they will never elevate to the level that at least 10 other schools are, including O$U, scUM, and soon to be USC. Never. BB is like wrestling was and can be. Kraft sees it but the rust on the BOT and within the “establishment” is disgusting and so disabling. It won’t end until the old fat cats are purged. The same people that have allowed a great university to operate at a 9 figure deficit claiming they never new. Incompetence is the only word to describe it. Do not give a dime until the systemic issues change. Sorry… it’s like an alcoholic who has to hit rock bottom.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT