ADVERTISEMENT

LTE: Case against PSU admins even weaker after comments by Bruce Heim

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
94 comments and counting...

Case against Penn State administrators even weaker after comments by Heim: PennLive letters

18517897-mmmain.jpg

Gary Schultz, left, is Penn State's former vice president; Graham Spanier, center, is the university's former president; and Tim Curley is the former director of athletics. (AP File Photo)

By Letters to the Editor
on October 08, 201

In light of recent comments by former Second Mile Vice Chairman Bruce Heim, I'd like to submit the following:

Heim made comments recently after being disinvited from the Penn State football game coin toss. He indicated that he did not think Jerry Sandusky had done anything wrong; Sandusky showering with kids was not considered unusual; and he did not think at the time that Sandusky was a pedophile.

These comments raise important questions with respect to the entire Sandusky matter.

Penn State reported the 2001 shower incident to The Second Mile, Sandusky's employer. The 2001 statute was followed, even exceeded, by Penn State. Thus, there was no cover-up or "conspiracy of silence" by Penn State.

Conversely, The Second Mile violated the law when it chose not to report the 2001 shower incident to child protective services. The Second Mile leadership also consciously withheld Penn State's report from its board of directors.

Why, then, were the Penn State administrators charged with failure to report and a cover-up? And why, as mandated reporters, were the leaders of The Second Mile not charged at all?

The Office of Attorney General should drop the charges against the Penn State administrators immediately. It has no case, and it never did.

JANET PARKHILL KUDRAVETZ, Arlington, Virginia

http://www.pennlive.com/opinion/2015/10/drop_charge_vs_penn_state_admi.html#incart_river

Pulling a few notable remarks from the comments section (representing both sides):

Andrea DiMaggio 45 minutes ago
Sexual crimes aren't reportable to a charity, much less rhe charity founded by the abuser. They knew it was sexual; Paterno, McQueary AND Schultz all testified to that to the Grand Jury. That's a crime. You don't want for nearly eight week and then tell the charity it wasn't serious. When your head coach tells you 'we've' got a problem, you tell your VP of Finance to call the police instead of the corporate lawyer. Blame TSM all you like; that does NOTHING to exonerate the three men facing trial!

Moirai 1 hour ago
The incident occurred on Friday, February 9, 2001. Curley did not go over to speak to Raykovitz until Monday, March 19, 2001. Curley did not set up a meeting to report an incident. Curley told Raykovitz that Penn State didn't want Sandusky bringing any boys to the facilities in the future. This was done because Penn State wanted to protect their premises liability for insurance purposes. (That's what eventually got them and forced settlements with many claimants.) Raykovitz and Heim have testified to the grand jury. Raykovitz has released a statement that said Curley told him that the matter was internally investigated and was found to beuncorroborated.

Your posts become more absurd all the time. Since you believe everything in the Freeh report is "gospel", the entry for 3/19/2001 states "Curley meets with executive director of the Second Mile and ;'shared the information we had with him". The Second Mile leadership concluded the matter is a 'non-incident' and takes no further action". On what factual basis do you (1) conclude that PSU told Raykovitz Sandusky was not permitted to bring kids on campus for "premises liability insurance purposes"(because this was the recommendation Paterno made to those who negotiated Sandusky's severance package in 1999?) and (2) the shared information didn't mention an incident in the shower?. So Raykovitz, who was aware Sandusky was investigated by the police and AG and separately by DPW for a similar shower incident in 1998 "fulfilled" his statutory and moral duty to kids at TSM by relying upon PSU to investigate the incident and you are okay with that? Unbelievable. Want to see a true enabler? Look in the mirror, dude.​

Ken Rhodes 2 hours ago @River Phlegethon @Ken Rhodes @lionforlife
Look it up - JRaykovitz's license to practice is due for renewal this November - if it's a 3 year cycle, which I believe it is, this would be the SECOND renewal since 2011. And the crickets still chirp on the record about his quals and experience.

Then do something about it!!! Here's your chance.​

I'd love to be an actual resident of the State of PA to do so, but I'm not convinced my status 'from away' gives me 'standing'. But for the interested State residents, who are MORE exposed to currently practicing Second Milers than I'll ever be - https://www.mylicense.state.pa.us/.​

Reactions: WeR0206
Pulling a few notable remarks from the comments section (representing both sides):

Andrea DiMaggio 45 minutes ago
Sexual crimes aren't reportable to a charity, much less rhe charity founded by the abuser. They knew it was sexual; Paterno, McQueary AND Schultz all testified to that to the Grand Jury. That's a crime. You don't want for nearly eight week and then tell the charity it wasn't serious. When your head coach tells you 'we've' got a problem, you tell your VP of Finance to call the police instead of the corporate lawyer. Blame TSM all you like; that does NOTHING to exonerate the three men facing trial!

Moirai 1 hour ago
The incident occurred on Friday, February 9, 2001. Curley did not go over to speak to Raykovitz until Monday, March 19, 2001. Curley did not set up a meeting to report an incident. Curley told Raykovitz that Penn State didn't want Sandusky bringing any boys to the facilities in the future. This was done because Penn State wanted to protect their premises liability for insurance purposes. (That's what eventually got them and forced settlements with many claimants.) Raykovitz and Heim have testified to the grand jury. Raykovitz has released a statement that said Curley told him that the matter was internally investigated and was found to beuncorroborated.

Your posts become more absurd all the time. Since you believe everything in the Freeh report is "gospel", the entry for 3/19/2001 states "Curley meets with executive director of the Second Mile and ;'shared the information we had with him". The Second Mile leadership concluded the matter is a 'non-incident' and takes no further action". On what factual basis do you (1) conclude that PSU told Raykovitz Sandusky was not permitted to bring kids on campus for "premises liability insurance purposes"(because this was the recommendation Paterno made to those who negotiated Sandusky's severance package in 1999?) and (2) the shared information didn't mention an incident in the shower?. So Raykovitz, who was aware Sandusky was investigated by the police and AG and separately by DPW for a similar shower incident in 1998 "fulfilled" his statutory and moral duty to kids at TSM by relying upon PSU to investigate the incident and you are okay with that? Unbelievable. Want to see a true enabler? Look in the mirror, dude.​

Ken Rhodes 2 hours ago @River Phlegethon @Ken Rhodes @lionforlife
Look it up - JRaykovitz's license to practice is due for renewal this November - if it's a 3 year cycle, which I believe it is, this would be the SECOND renewal since 2011. And the crickets still chirp on the record about his quals and experience.

Then do something about it!!! Here's your chance.​

I'd love to be an actual resident of the State of PA to do so, but I'm not convinced my status 'from away' gives me 'standing'. But for the interested State residents, who are MORE exposed to currently practicing Second Milers than I'll ever be - https://www.mylicense.state.pa.us/.​
Chi town, you pick Andrea DiMaggio and Moirai, they are 2 obsessed people who respond to every Sandusky issue and make the same response. They must be sad individuals to spend so much time on this one issue at PennLive.

Reactions: simons96
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT