ADVERTISEMENT

LTE-by LINDA BERKLAND, MARYSVILLE, OHIO

step.eng69

Nov 7, 2012
North East PA, Backmountain area, age 72
Letter to the Editor
Time to put away the pitchforks

In recent news coverage of the Graham Spanier trial verdict, David Jones, Penn State trustee emeritus, stood by the board’s 2011 decisions, arguing that even if the Spanier verdict is overturned on appeal, it would not discredit their decision, “which was not based on criminality.” Another news source, Alison Kiss, executive director of the Clery Center, remarked that in her view, “It’s very clear that they could have done more.”

Widely reported, also, was testimony from Tim Curley and Gary Schultz. Both Curley and Schultz, pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges in the case. But under oath at trial, they both acknowledged that they had acted in good faith given the information they had at the time. There was never any criminal intent.

There are two common themes running through these comments: Everyone seems to understand that the decision not to report Jerry Sandusky’s showering with a boy in 2001 wasn’t criminal, and all still seem to believe that punishment on criminal charges is still appropriate.
I find that incredibly alarming, if not downright frightening.

Especially now that the jury foreman has publicly expressed regret over his verdict decision, I urge everyone to put away their torches and pitchforks and think about the standard for criminal conviction — guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. If you still want to hold people criminally accountable for actions that aren’t criminal, realize that you sacrifice these rights for yourself and your loved ones, who could one day face the same brand of “Wild West” justice.

LINDA BERKLAND, MARYSVILLE, OHIO

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/article143477894.html#storylink=cpy

Does the CDT not do any proof-reading?!?!? David Jones is not a PSU BoT member.

Geez.

Does the CDT not do any proof-reading?!?!? David Jones is not a PSU BoT member.

Geez.
What's the name of the PSU grad and OGBoT enabler from the NY Times?

David R. Jones, national editor and managing editor of the NY Times for fourteen years. Was he a Trustee? Yes. A Trustee Emeritus? Yes.

Geez.

Last edited:
Letter to the Editor
Time to put away the pitchforks

In recent news coverage of the Graham Spanier trial verdict, David Jones, Penn State trustee emeritus, stood by the board’s 2011 decisions, arguing that even if the Spanier verdict is overturned on appeal, it would not discredit their decision, “which was not based on criminality.” Another news source, Alison Kiss, executive director of the Clery Center, remarked that in her view, “It’s very clear that they could have done more.”

Widely reported, also, was testimony from Tim Curley and Gary Schultz. Both Curley and Schultz, pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges in the case. But under oath at trial, they both acknowledged that they had acted in good faith given the information they had at the time. There was never any criminal intent.

There are two common themes running through these comments: Everyone seems to understand that the decision not to report Jerry Sandusky’s showering with a boy in 2001 wasn’t criminal, and all still seem to believe that punishment on criminal charges is still appropriate.
I find that incredibly alarming, if not downright frightening.

Especially now that the jury foreman has publicly expressed regret over his verdict decision, I urge everyone to put away their torches and pitchforks and think about the standard for criminal conviction — guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. If you still want to hold people criminally accountable for actions that aren’t criminal, realize that you sacrifice these rights for yourself and your loved ones, who could one day face the same brand of “Wild West” justice.

LINDA BERKLAND, MARYSVILLE, OHIO

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/article143477894.html#storylink=cpy
No one uses pitchforks anymore. All mob justice today is high tech.

No one uses pitchforks anymore. All mob justice today is high tech.
county-kerry-modern-day-irish-farmer-in-field-of-corn-farmer-in-ireland-aa78xw.jpg

I'll give michnitwit credit . . . he made a bombastic assertion (as usual) but backed down when he was proven wrong.

Funchuckles and Moron John and coveydidntgetaparticipationtrophy could learn a lot from this
A pause helps in all things. It's what I should have done before clicking on and listening to your Yes video. That music is for squares. There's no round about it.:cool:

Michnit did not acknowledge my takedown. I'm owed 2 points.

That music is for squares. There's no round about it.:cool:
Yep, always thought Simons was a bit square, but an all a round good guy.

Thanks to everyone for explaining the "Davy Jones" insertion to the article. I also thought it was an error, but I was getting ready for my Saturday cocktail hour and didn't research the guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT