ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of QB portal action.

RickinDayton

May 29, 2001
-Former OU QB Spencer Rattler to South Carolina
-Former Indiana QB Penix to Washington (UDub)
-Former USC QB Slobis in portal w/2 yrs of eligbility remaining
-Former LSU starting QB Max Johnson entered the portal.
-The Texas A & M starting QB, Caldaza (sp?) entered the portal

Reactions: NedFromYork
Same as last year, he has zero excuse not to go get someone unless he wants to throw Allar to the wolves next year when Cliff goes down...and make no mistake, Cliff WILL get hurt again. That offensive line ensures it.

Same as last year, he has zero excuse not to go get someone unless he wants to throw Allar to the wolves next year when Cliff goes down...and make no mistake, Cliff WILL get hurt again. That offensive line ensures it.
You are not going to find a top notch QB in the portal that will come to Penn State as the back-up. Hopefully being an early enrolled SA will enable Allar and Pribula to be further ahead....plus CV will be back.

From everything I have read, Roberson wasn't much of a worker. He didn't work to perfect his craft to the best of his ability and quite frankly it ruined the season. He could have been a hero like Trace almost was in the bowl game vs Georgia, instead he was my generations version of the goat. For those young-ins out there.....goat hasn't always been a good thing.

I doubt there is anyone out there who would come to PSU to be a backup who would be clearly better than Veilleux. If Sean wasn't returning, it would be important to get an experienced portal QB, but with PSU having 4 QBs on scholarship next year, I don't think that is a position of need.

You are not going to find a top notch QB in the portal that will come to Penn State as the back-up. Hopefully being an early enrolled SA will enable Allar and Pribula to be further ahead....plus CV will be back.

From everything I have read, Roberson wasn't much of a worker. He didn't work to perfect his craft to the best of his ability and quite frankly it ruined the season. He could have been a hero like Trace almost was in the bowl game vs Georgia, instead he was my generations version of the goat. For those young-ins out there.....goat hasn't always been a good thing.

All Roberson needed to do was know how to snap the ball and we win that game.

LdN

Reactions: LMTLION
Because Clifford get hurt?
I know, but if that was evidence he shouldn’t have been in the game, why was he in the game? My point is that the coaches must have thought he was better prepared than Veilleux which, based on what we saw later in the season, doesn’t seem to be the case.

I doubt there is anyone out there who would come to PSU to be a backup who would be clearly better than Veilleux. If Sean wasn't returning, it would be important to get an experienced portal QB, but with PSU having 4 QBs on scholarship next year, I don't think that is a position of need.
It would be interesting to see who we would go after and possibly get if Sean was not coming back. We shall never know.

The ignorance of your posts never ceases to amaze. Instead of complaining all the time, why don’t you provide us with the name(s) of any QBs in the portal last year or this year who were interested in transferring to be a backup QB.

I know, but if that was evidence he shouldn’t have been in the game, why was he in the game? My point is that the coaches must have thought he was better prepared than Veilleux which, based on what we saw later in the season, doesn’t seem to be the case.
Wow. Roberson was in his third year and CV would have played in his 6th game as a true freshman after not playing at all last year if they put him in against Iowa. There is a huge difference between getting your first game action on the road at Iowa and playing Rutgers at home. Believe it or not players do improve as the season goes along.

Fanatics think PSU is THE destination school for every college football player in America. They can't wait to come here and "compete." Recruiting and the portal are all just the college football version of the Golden Corral buffet and we will put everything and everyone on our plate......scholarship limits, locker room chemistry and God knows what else is never an excuse. Every player in the portal is dying to come to dear of state and provide us with depth......personal career goals be damned.

Wow. Roberson was in his third year and CV would have played in his 6th game as a true freshman after not playing at all last year if they put him in against Iowa. There is a huge difference between getting your first game action on the road at Iowa and playing Rutgers at home. Believe it or not players do improve as the season goes along.
Plus, TR got demoted and CV became second QB so he got a lot more snaps in practice in the three weeks leading up to Rutgers.

Reactions: jerrycalpal
I think we're fine...Clifford has to heal, the OL, the TEs, and the running game have to protect him a little more, Christian V needs to continue his development, and the younger QBs have to do what the younger QBs who hope to progress do. A portal QB, unlike last year, would just confuse things and take up a spot better used for other positions...LB, DE, even OL.

and the fact he couldnt even do that is evidence enough he wasn't a worker.
Why did the coaches throw him in there if he was so incompetent? And left him in there... so CV all of a sudden becomes competent in a month? Don’t buy it. They thought they could ride it out and protect his RS. That game will always be on the coaches not TR. He handled it with class and with no bellyaching.

Reactions: N&B4PSU

Caldaza could give SC a real run for the job, but he’s young and would cause problems with Allan and Pribula.

Caldaza could give SC a real run for the job, but he’s young and would cause problems with Allan and Pribula.
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Calzada is good, I live here, thus the name. However, he isn't going to enter the portal and go somewhere that he would have to compete with a 3 year starter for the job.

I am pretty sure a lot of players in the portal could give Cliff a run, but they aren't going anywhere near a school with a starter in place. Rattler went to a school that started a GA last year.

Reactions: m48tank
Why did the coaches throw him in there if he was so incompetent? And left him in there... so CV all of a sudden becomes competent in a month? Don’t buy it. They thought they could ride it out and protect his RS. That game will always be on the coaches not TR. He handled it with class and with no bellyaching.
Getting the third stringer ready is always hard. I think I read somewhere that the goal in practice is 75% snaps for #1, 20% for #2, and 5% for 3. I also have heard that that goal is rarely met as #1 is always prioritized. CV would have not done better without many practice snaps and that was the stark reality in Iowa. These numbers may be off but there is only so much practice time in college.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Based on everything they saw in practice, Roberson was the best option. You put him in there and he completely implodes. How is anyone supposed to know that ahead of time? Everyone wants to blame the coaches, but I'm sure they believed they had a viable backup.

Who's going to come in here and sit behind Clifford knowing Allar is the next QB? No one who is any good.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Getting the third stringer ready is always hard. I think I read somewhere that the goal in practice is 75% snaps for #1, 20% for #2, and 5% for 3. I also have heard that that goal is rarely met as #1 is always prioritized. CV would have not done better without many practice snaps and that was the stark reality in Iowa. These numbers may be off but there is only so much practice time in college.
Magnified by the Covid crap of the prior year, plus a new OC so #1 and #2needed a lot of work to make up for lost time.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Calzada is good, I live here, thus the name. However, he isn't going to enter the portal and go somewhere that he would have to compete with a 3 year starter for the job.

I am pretty sure a lot of players in the portal could give Cliff a run, but they aren't going anywhere near a school with a starter in place. Rattler went to a school that started a GA last year.
No, I didn’t misunderstand. I just like what I saw from Caldaza by his third game and I believe that he is potentially better than SC. That said, he ain’t coming here, especially given our recruiting class. I doubt that CJF has any interest at all in portal QB.

Veilleux should be a capable back-up if not Allar. Actually should be an interesting battle for #2. Whoever loses it goes portal at the end of '22. Expect it to be Vellieux going portal. Different from this year though in talent behind Clifford.

You are right about our useless O-Line. Zero confidence in them at this point.

Based on everything they saw in practice, Roberson was the best option. You put him in there and he completely implodes. How is anyone supposed to know that ahead of time? Everyone wants to blame the coaches, but I'm sure they believed they had a viable backup.
This is the problem and demonstrated a severe lack of judgement on Franklin's part. Anyone that has the agility to map a players skillset to a system and was familiar with what MY does knew the instant he was hired that Roberson lacked the skills to operate the offense at even a minimal level. By minimal level I mean coming is as the third stringer to close out a game without any expectation to win. It showed at Iowa. It had to have been known at practice that he couldn't do it. My biggest beef with Franklin is the consistent mismanagement of the most important position on the field and has been an issue every since.

Who's going to come in here and sit behind Clifford knowing Allar is the next QB? No one who is any good.
Someone who wants to play: Behind this horrible line Clifford will be injured by game 3. Guaranteed.

Unless the team is cheating.....amazing that some of the top teams have a QB ready to substitute at a minutes notice.

not every team loses its second and third string QBs to the transfer portal in a single year. It is what it is. People bitching about Roberson as some sort of long term indictment of Franklins QBs management act like he’s been trotting out Robersonesque #2s since he got here. The last 3 backups before him were Levis, Stevens and McSorley and all started for P5 schools.

AT least 2 starting quarterbacks from big teams hitting the portal. Hang on for the ride with NIL and the portal. CF may stay interesting to watch just to try to keep up with the portal action/drama .

Unless the team is cheating.....amazing that some of the top teams have a QB ready to substitute at a minutes notice.
Exactly. Everyone cheats except Penn State. We've got the best coach and players in the game today. Hell, we don't even have walk-ons, we have run-ons!! That right there makes us infinitely better. If we lose a game its because the other team cheated.

This is the problem and demonstrated a severe lack of judgement on Franklin's part. Anyone that has the agility to map a players skillset to a system and was familiar with what MY does knew the instant he was hired that Roberson lacked the skills to operate the offense at even a minimal level. By minimal level I mean coming is as the third stringer to close out a game without any expectation to win. It showed at Iowa. It had to have been known at practice that he couldn't do it. My biggest beef with Franklin is the consistent mismanagement of the most important position on the field and has been an issue every since.
My biggest beef with you is that your posts are becoming even more ludicrous the more you post. Your asinine "insight" is based on attendance at ZERO practices. Here's a clue for you: sometimes players look good during practices and totally implode when they are inserted into games.

My biggest beef with you is that your posts are becoming even more ludicrous the more you post. Your asinine "insight" is based on attendance at ZERO practices. Here's a clue for you: sometimes players look good during practices and totally implode when they are inserted into games.
He thinks it's Franklin's fault for not anticipating that. It's almost equivalent to blaming Franklin for someone fumbling or missing a field goal because he should have know that was going to happen and planned for it.

Penix (IU) and who else?
From YOUR above .........? Ooops didn't see 'former' starter for LSU guy but anyways seems crazy .

Do you have links to what you read?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT