ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like the great Bobby Bowden is on the clock (terminal condition)

Tim Wilson used to imitate Bowden:
Reporter: “Coach, your player was arrested three times and beat up a teammate.”
Bowden: “Aw, he’s a good keed.”

Reactions: PrtLng Lion
How am I the only one that didn't know his take on the JS sandal? I had no idea he took that position.
Best explanation for this might be is that Bowden’s comments were a blip, a one-and-done-in-24-hours thing. Your missing this might be understandable, but no PSU fan who read those comments will ever forget or forgive.

Last edited:
To which I reply (because we must never forget brave, honorable men):

God Bless Franco Harris.
You know, thinking about Bowden (and I certainly didn't want to slam on a guy in his final hours. We will all be there sometime), his reaction/comments are not remarkable.

It is not particularly surprising that people will pile on, virtue signal, blame and otherwise behave in a weak fashion, especially when the response they ought to give will bring criticism. It is common. It isn't a surprise that the BOT, Corbett, etc did the same. It really is not.

It doesn't make them bad men. History has shown that most men fall short when the pressure is on.

What it DOES do is show with clarity what a GREAT MAN Franco Harris is. We seldom get to see people like Franco. God Bless him. We need more leaders like Franco Harris.

Dad gum MIT! You back stabbed a so called lifetime friend to tarnish his record... to inflate yours....

Try resting in peace!
I doubt that was the reason. Many Penn Staters bailed also. I believe the Administrators were absolutely culpable. They failed to protect kids and the University. If you put something in an e mail stating it will be bad if it comes out that we did not go to police you know it's wrong. Over and out.

I think this is the right take.

Those who stayed away or said what the media wanted them to say are NOT bad men.

Just weak men - not leaders.

So you want him to perish? Do you want it to be painful also? Come on man.

I doubt that was the reason. Many Penn Staters bailed also. I believe the Administrators were absolutely culpable. They failed to protect kids and the University. If you put something in an e mail stating it will be bad if it comes out that we did not go to police you know it's wrong. Over and out.

Seriously... read in detail Bobbies pathetic utterances. No doubt the cowards in our BOT created the opportunity but Bobby was a witless puppet of the ACC .... perhaps he just forgot his friend Joe but some how in his childish a absense of memory... he rembered his name to dis him.

Reactions: Agoodnap
You are not the only one. It’s hard to keep track of who was objective and who piled on back then.

Particularly because you could fill all of our countries naval ships with those that "piled on" publicly. Bowden and Kim Jones stick in my mind.

Reactions: MacNit07
Could be. Saw Meyer, Fickel, and Fitzgerald during TV coverage. Didn't see Spurrier, but that doesn't mean that he wasn't there.
Aside from those coaches, Herbstreit sat with Meyer and Fickel at the funeral. If I recall, he was one of the few ESPN personalities to not offer up an opinion on Joe. Not sure that Fowler ever did, either. Could be wrong on that, just don't recall them saying anything bad about Joe personally as I do others who definitely did, Bowden included. Bobby was probably the most disappointing of all of Joe's friends, as he did not hesitate to jump on Joe almost immediately.

To me, Herbie's and Fowler's silence, while disappointing, still was a likely indicator of how they felt about Joe and their doubts about the common narrative being accurate.

i shouldn't say this but....

F him.
I'll say it for you.....I hated that horses ass did not support Joe in the times of need...
I can Greatly give you a **** you bobby bowden during this time in your life you are preparing to meet your maker...GOD

I would never say this to anyone, but, to do this to JVP, as so many did...You have my blessing
"GO TO HELL, and hope you suffer.
Thomas

Aside from those coaches, Herbstreit sat with Meyer and Fickel at the funeral. If I recall, he was one of the few ESPN personalities to not offer up an opinion on Joe. Not sure that Fowler ever did, either. Could be wrong on that, just don't recall them saying anything bad about Joe personally as I do others who definitely did, Bowden included. Bobby was probably the most disappointing of all of Joe's friends, as he did not hesitate to jump on Joe almost immediately.

To me, Herbie's and Fowler's silence, while disappointing, still was a likely indicator of how they felt about Joe and their doubts about the common narrative being accurate.

Herbie did sit with Meyer and Fickel, but I believe it was at the memorial service that took place after the funeral.

Reactions: Bob78
Bowden was always 2nd class compared to Joe. If he hadn’t coached/recruited in THE hotbed of HS football, he never would’ve come close to Joe’s win total. That said, I’m not going to wish him I’ll will now…he wasn’t the only “friend” who threw Joe under the bus. May he find peace in his final hours on earth.

Meyer, one of the few coaches who went to Joe Pa's funeral, did not know that. I like him better now but still despise O$U.

As for Bowden, I did not now he backstabbed Joe. A weak person who never could hold a candle to Joe and everyone knew that. I do wish him and his family peace and comfort during this time. Joe would want it that way for sure, as he was the consummate gentleman.

ADVERTISEMENT