Looks like pelosi caves in Taiwan

Jerry

May 29, 2001
Well? We're waiting ...

Patience, grasshopper.

Check back with me in a week, and if conditions warrant, I will deliver your eagerly awaited confession of error.

Remember the two criteria: A) that she goes ahead with the visit...(check mark on that); and B) that the visit does not trigger a crisis destructive to U.S. interests.

Still waiting on the verdict regarding (B).

The Spin Meister

Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
Ok, trying to figure out this Taiwan gambit. Have no problem with Queen Nancy going on trips to foreign countries. Lots of members of Congress go over seas on fact finding trips. Congress is the legislative branch and they shouldn’t rely on reports from the executive branch like State, DoD, the CIA, Commerce or the White House. We have all seen how dishonest any of these can be.

But why Nancy, why now, and why the strange way it all unfolded. Could it all have been by design?
Play along here. Whomever is actually running the country decided we need to have a high level official visit to Taiwan as the Chicoms have been so aggressive in the area since Magoo was installed in office. Need to push back somehow. But to just outright announce a trip and then go would be too confrontational to the Chicoms.

So......have the Queen schedule an Asian trip.....then leak out a stop in Taiwan. Biden can come out against it as does the DoD and look like they are friends of China. But then allow the press, public sentiment, and others in Congress pressure her to go anyway.

This way, Biden looks good to his Chicoms handlers. The Chinese get to huff and puff but aren’t really challenged by a half hearted visit. Taiwan gets some attention and a little reassurance. And Nancy is on her way out so she won’t be a long term symbol of sticking up to them. By January she will be gone and the Chicoms can forget about her ‘rogue’ trip.

Could they have been so Machiavellian? Or did it just play out this way?

LafayetteBear

Dec 1, 2009
Patience, grasshopper.

Check back with me in a week, and if conditions warrant, I will deliver your eagerly awaited confession of error.

Remember the two criteria: A) that she goes ahead with the visit...(check mark on that); and B) that the visit does not trigger a crisis destructive to U.S. interests.

Still waiting on the verdict regarding (B).
I don't recall (B) being part of your criteria.

Reactions: maypole

Jerry

May 29, 2001

Post #44 in the thread:

>>Still, if at this point she does go ahead with the visit that didn't need to happen, I'll be the first to say I got it wrong in my prediction that it would be cancelled.

But if all hell breaks loose afterward, I'll remind you people yet again of the perils associated with giving power to a senile President and corrupt Party.<<

junior1

May 29, 2001
No one is arguing that she has a "duty" (constitutional or otherwise) to travel to Taiwan. At the same time, are you seriously going to maintain that Pelosi is the first member of Congress to go on a tour of some foreign countries? Senators and Representatives routinely travel to visit foreign countries and have done so historically! The President is, without doubt, the primary architect of U.S. foreign policy, but members of the legislative branch also have a role to play in U.S. foreign policy.
Not sure you didn’t read over on of my phrases “highest ranking …..in 25 years”. No Clinton, bush, Cheney, etc etc etc. no speaker since Gingrich back in the ‘90s…..so why now? No PelosI in the years she has been speaker!
Read duties of the speaker….
Agree that representatives, senators travel all over. But not one of the top 3 have been to Taiwan in 25 years. Biden didn’t want her to go, military didn’t think it was a good idea….so, why go?

crazyivan77

Dec 7, 2007
Plugs needs to drone someone else because an alcoholic octogenarian is showing him up.

MaconNitt

Oct 18, 2016
Not sure you didn’t read over on of my phrases “highest ranking …..in 25 years”. No Clinton, bush, Cheney, etc etc etc. no speaker since Gingrich back in the ‘90s…..so why now? No PelosI in the years she has been speaker!
Read duties of the speaker….
Agree that representatives, senators travel all over. But not one of the top 3 have been to Taiwan in 25 years. Biden didn’t want her to go, military didn’t think it was a good idea….so, why go?
chips

GSPMax

Jun 21, 2018
Why did Pelosi get out of town now? Could it be that she knew her insider trading husband was going to be charged with dui while also under the influence of some other drug and attempting to influence the officer with a courtesy card?

maypole

May 9, 2022
<https://thehill.com/policy/international/3584386-mcconnell-25-gop-senators-back-pelosi-taiwan-trip/>
“We support Speaker of the House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi’s trip to Taiwan,” the statement reads. For decades, members of the United States Congress, including previous Speakers of the House, have travelled to Taiwan,” it continues. “This travel is consistent with the United States’ One China policy to which we are committed. We are also committed now, more than ever, to all elements of the Taiwan Relations Act.”
McConnell said ”I believe she has every right to go. McConnell argued on Tuesday that there’s precedent for senior congressional officials visiting Taiwan. Then-Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) visited the island territory in 1997.

dailybuck777

Jan 2, 2018
<https://thehill.com/policy/international/3584386-mcconnell-25-gop-senators-back-pelosi-taiwan-trip/>
“We support Speaker of the House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi’s trip to Taiwan,” the statement reads. For decades, members of the United States Congress, including previous Speakers of the House, have travelled to Taiwan,” it continues. “This travel is consistent with the United States’ One China policy to which we are committed. We are also committed now, more than ever, to all elements of the Taiwan Relations Act.”
McConnell said ”I believe she has every right to go. McConnell argued on Tuesday that there’s precedent for senior congressional officials visiting Taiwan. Then-Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) visited the island territory in 1997.
Another mistake by McConnell or potentially trying to sabotage Biden by having Pelosi go off the reservation. You probably haven't noticed that a lot has changed in China since 1997.

maypole

May 9, 2022
Another mistake by McConnell or potentially trying to sabotage Biden by having Pelosi go off the reservation. You probably haven't noticed that a lot has changed in China since 1997.
How about the 25 repiglican senators?

dailybuck777

Jan 2, 2018
How about the 25 repiglican senators?
Don't know any repiglicans were elected. So they don't matter and don't vote. If you want to identify Republicans you can. You seem to exist in a fog of name calling and think that it excuses your inability to think.

Reactions: MaconNitt

maypole

May 9, 2022
Don't know any repiglicans were elected. So they don't matter and don't vote. If you want to identify Republicans you can. You seem to exist in a fog of name calling and think that it excuses your inability to think.
How about the other 25?

LafayetteBear

Dec 1, 2009
Apparently, it's fine when Republican Speakers do it, but not when Democratic Speakers do it. Pure RWNJ dogma.

Reactions: maypole

maypole

May 9, 2022
Still, if at this point she does go ahead with the visit that didn't need to happen, I'll be the first to say I got it wrong in my prediction that it would be cancelled.
No you didn’t. Lying as always.

maypole

May 9, 2022
Trying to wiggle off the hook.
Nothing is going to happen as the result of her visit except China will fuss and fume, but good ole Jerr will go back on his word again, as always.

Jerry

May 29, 2001
No you didn’t. Lying as always.

You chopped the post -- so typical -- and left out the second part, which is key:

>>Still, if at this point she does go ahead with the visit that didn't need to happen, I'll be the first to say I got it wrong in my prediction that it would be cancelled.

But if all hell breaks loose afterward, I'll remind you people yet again of the perils associated with giving power to a senile President and corrupt Party.<<

In other words, talk to me a week from today. Meanwhile, the Chicoms have imposed the equivalent of a blockade on Taiwan, to include its airspace, for Chicom military "exercises" starting Thursday. Things could get interesting.

The Taiwanese may have to learn the hard way that embracing Dem-Media is suicidal. 10 million Ukrainian refugees have found that out as have the dimwitted masses of Brave New Amerika who may yet ask for more...because they're dimwitted.

Of course it goes without saying that the Useful Idiots -- Exhibit A: maypole -- have bought a ticket for the full ride and will happily take it over the cliff. In fact, the Useful Idiots are akin to the cultists who happily drank the Kool-Aid served up by their tin god, Jim Jones, in 1978.

But at least those people limited the carnage to themselves (and their children, which was beyond evil). In contrast, our own time's Useful Idiots and their Dem-Media cult leaders are determined to take the entire population down with them.

bdgan

May 29, 2008
Apparently, it's fine when Republican Speakers do it, but not when Democratic Speakers do it. Pure RWNJ dogma.
That's 25 years ago and China has become immensely stronger both economically and militarily.

I don't have a problem with U.S. legislators visiting Taiwan but there should be an agenda that isn't political and it should be approved and coordinated through the state department.

Latest posts