ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like our new WR coach is FL Gator's JaJuan Seider

Seider has a strong reputation as a recruiter, especially in South Florida because of his ties to the area as a native of Belle Glade, Fla. His coaching efforts are equally as impressive.

Seider tutor West Virginia’s Wendell Smallwood, who was the Big 12 rushing champion in 2015 with 1,519 yards. WVU’s rushing offense ranking in the top 25 nationally the past two seasons.

Seider landed coveted Miramar teammates Tyreke Cole and Jovon Durante for West Virginia in 2015 and also recruited graduate transfer Charlie Sims, who named first team All-Big 12 and Big 12 Offensive Newcomer of the Year in 2013. Sims has spent the last three years with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Seider came to West Virginia from Marshall, where he served as the running backs coach and recruiting coordinator from 2010-13. He was named Conference USA’s top recruiter in 2012 and was credited with signing the best class in the league.

DirtyDickNasty 2 points 6 minutes ago

Take care of him Penn State. He’s a good one!

Florida Gators / UCF KnightsOhComeOnKennyMayne 3 points 8 minutes ago

Damn, would have liked to keep him, but I understand.

Good recruiter. good get PSU

TheKingBert 3 points 13 minutes ago

Horrible news, he was a great recruiter. Wish him luck, he should not have been moved from RB to TE coach.

CtrlShiftB[S] 3 points 16 minutes ago

Penn State would be getting the only coach UF fans unanimously wanted to keep. Stud recruiter and made every single RB better, including two true freshmen who looked great in the action they got.

Rumors are he was unhappy with Mullen switching him from RBs to Tight Ends so he started looking around.

zlatandiego 1 point 4 minutes ago

Great recruiter, particularly the Palm Beach area. Really sad to see him go so quickly.

PSU will love him.

mmarktfsi 3 points 12 minutes ago

You guys have a serious ticket to recruiting South Florida in this guy. We are gonna miss him.

Seider has a strong reputation as a recruiter, especially in South Florida because of his ties to the area as a native of Belle Glade, Fla. His coaching efforts are equally as impressive.
Headline:
"Seiderman to return to the Northeast and bring Florida recruits."

Franklin just seems to make one smart move after another. The coaching losses were filled with younger talent with already strong resumes and strategic recruiting ties. This is why Franklin has us a few years removed from the 2nd worst sanctions in the sport already winning the conference and knocking on the door of a Natty.

On the surface, based on these opinions, this is great news.

We can expect annual turnover in the coaching staff, so his success will lead him to bigger things in a couple years or so. We need to expect it, anticipate it, and continue to recognize that Franklin has made great coaching staff hires and will continue to do so as the needs arise. PSU will be a top-tier choice for coaches who have done well, want to grow, and want to go on to bigger roles. That's all good stuff, even if it gives an old guy like me a little angst to see this many coaches (and maybe players!?) turn over each year.

I think Franklin will continue to grow and get better at all aspects of coaching, and we're in for a great ride that has just begun.

Now, please prove me right, James!

Never doubt Franklin.

tenor.gif

It hurts to lose Gattis, but when people like Gattis go from position coaching at PSU to a coordinator position at Alabama, that just makes the position coaching slots at PSU that much hotter.

Good young coaches can come to PSU, work for Franklin at a state of the art place, maybe they only stay a few years but they work their butts off, contribute a lot and learn a lot, and then the move on to bigger jobs and great jobs.

That is how you run a top 10 program these days. And it can be sold on the recruiting trail. Instead of, "position coach X recruited you and now he's leaving," it's "this whole group of coaches recruited you and cares about you; position coach X is leaving but look at this great coach who is coming -- you'll learn a lot from him."

It underscores that the player commits to the program and the university -- and in turn the player and the university are fully committed to the player's development even if there are changes on the coaching staff.

It's just new school vs. old school, and new school is better all around. The only potential downside is it is reliant on an incredibly gifted and incredibly energetic head coach to make it all work. Replacing Franklin, if he chose to go to Alabama or the NFL or something -- that would be a challenge at this point.

Home run is not the way I would describe it. The word is when Mullen moved him from RBs to TE he was not a happy camper

Mullen brought his RB coach from Miss State to UF. Happens all the time. Would view this as a great hire. BTW, JF was also talking to Seider for the WR coaching role.

Home run is not the way I would describe it. The word is when Mullen moved him from RBs to TE he was not a happy camper

Well one could say the reason we lost Gattis is because we didn't make him OC. All a matter of how you look at it.
On paper it looks like an excellent hire to me.

Reactions: Bob78
Seider is likely going to be a HC some day. Yet, he was valuable enough to the Gators to let him stick around if he wanted to. But, in a year or two or three, he might become a viable threat to Mullen.

Good get for us.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Not sure I understand your post. Is this an excellent hire (i.e., a "home run") or not? The underlying cause(s) of him leaving Florida would be irrelevant to that question.
IMO, based on his body of work here in Huntington, I would not describe this as a homerun. As I mentioned he did bring talent to Marshall, that said, there was baggage with many of his recruits. I was always waiting for the next shoe to drop. His strength will be in his recruiting, most of which he learned under Doc Holiday, another guy who I always wait for the other shoe to drop. Doc has/had a reputation as a great recruiter, but his on field ability is lacking. I think JaJuan is cut from the same cloth.
IMO, for it to be a 'homerun' hire, I would want somebody that could both recruit and do a good job on the field.
As far as the second part him leaving FL, it was a reason as to why he left FL, that's all.
CJF has done a great job so far, so I hope this works out, and my assessment is wrong.

Reactions: Fizz1
IMO, based on his body of work here in Huntington, I would not describe this as a homerun. As I mentioned he did bring talent to Marshall, that said, there was baggage with many of his recruits. I was always waiting for the next shoe to drop. His strength will be in his recruiting, most of which he learned under Doc Holiday, another guy who I always wait for the other shoe to drop. Doc has/had a reputation as a great recruiter, but his on field ability is lacking. I think JaJuan is cut from the same cloth.
IMO, for it to be a 'homerun' hire, I would want somebody that could both recruit and do a good job on the field.
As far as the second part him leaving FL, it was a reason as to why he left FL, that's all.
CJF has done a great job so far, so I hope this works out, and my assessment is wrong.
You saw those Florida fans raving about his ability to coach up the freshmen running backs.

How many posts do you need to make your point?

It hurts to lose Gattis, but when people like Gattis go from position coaching at PSU to a coordinator position at Alabama, that just makes the position coaching slots at PSU that much hotter.

Good young coaches can come to PSU, work for Franklin at a state of the art place, maybe they only stay a few years but they work their butts off, contribute a lot and learn a lot, and then the move on to bigger jobs and great jobs.

That is how you run a top 10 program these days. And it can be sold on the recruiting trail. Instead of, "position coach X recruited you and now he's leaving," it's "this whole group of coaches recruited you and cares about you; position coach X is leaving but look at this great coach who is coming -- you'll learn a lot from him."

It underscores that the player commits to the program and the university -- and in turn the player and the university are fully committed to the player's development even if there are changes on the coaching staff.

It's just new school vs. old school, and new school is better all around. The only potential downside is it is reliant on an incredibly gifted and incredibly energetic head coach to make it all work. Replacing Franklin, if he chose to go to Alabama or the NFL or something -- that would be a challenge at this point.

And as old school as JVP was, he was always the first to tell recruits to commit to the school, not to the coach(es). The only guarantee as to who or what would be here for the players' 4 or 5 years was the school, the academics, the college life.... but no guarantee for the coaches being around that long.

That said, the new normal is what it is, and we seem to be in good shape with James leading the way for us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT