ADVERTISEMENT

Looking at my oldest sons childhood photos... PSU tees, sweats and huge smiles..

Rip_E_2_Joe_PA

Jun 9, 2002
Love the one with the missing front teeth and the biggest smile of all of the many with a football cradled in his arms signed by many of the 1994 squad from a Blue White game.

Now he is 39. Been in and out hospitals for the last 3 years. Finally, 4 months ago the meds that kept him alive over the years started to fail, we knew it was coming. 4 months in a hospital in isolation experiencing cocktails of meds and treatments alone. Only zoom sessions...letters and cards reaching him from the family.

3 weeks ago the good news came that he would be able to return home with a visiting nurse taking blood tests periodically while his vitals are remotely monitored continuously.

Last week he tested positive for Covid and is fully symptomatic and on a respiratory system.

All I have to say is this. Take the time to share the laughter with them. Don't let professional life or business or stress rob you of as many of the moments I am looking at this morning. 'We Are'.

May the Good and gracious Lord watch over your son.
May he hold you and your family close and give you all strength.
May he guide the hands that provide care for your son.

You are one of the best members of this community. Know that we are here.

Love the one with the missing front teeth and the biggest smile of all of the many with a football cradled in his arms signed by many of the 1994 squad from a Blue White game.

Now he is 39. Been in and out hospitals for the last 3 years. Finally, 4 months ago the meds that kept him alive over the years started to fail, we knew it was coming. 4 months in a hospital in isolation experiencing cocktails of meds and treatments alone. Only zoom sessions...letters and cards reaching him from the family.

3 weeks ago the good news came that he would be able to return home with a visiting nurse taking blood tests periodically while his vitals are remotely monitored continuously.

Last week he tested positive for Covid and is fully symptomatic and on a respiratory system.

All I have to say is this. Take the time to share the laughter with them. Don't let professional life or business or stress rob you of as many of the moments I am looking at this morning. 'We Are'.
So sorry to hear about your son. I can only imagine what this sort of experience is like for a parent of a beloved child. He is adult age but your mind goes back to those days of innocence and dreams.

Not to minimize your pain and cheapen the thread, but I have to ask, how does a compromised person end up with Covid when medical facilities everywhere are using all protective measures at their disposal. The damn thing is exceptionally contagious but almost entirely respiratory in transmission. Masking is vaunted as the key prevention tool but seems more like a diffuser to me. It works but only to a point and in conjunction with separation in distance.

Reactions: fairgambit

No one should have to go through this with a child. I genuinely hope for the best for you and your family. Hang in there.

Penn State.

There is a lot of joy shared on this Board but a lot of sadness too, and it is the sadness that echos into my quiet time. I have never met a single member of this community and yet I feel a kinship with so many, including you Rip. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your son.

So sorry to hear this Rip. Praying for the best. Not certain how you could handle the 4 months of isolation from a sick son. Keep strong and best wishes

Reactions: fairgambit
Sad to hear that you and your family have had to deal with this. As others have said, your board family is always here. They’ve helped me in the past. Don’t hesitate to reach out, ask for prayers, advice or just to vent.

Health is our greatest gift, contentment our greatest wealth - Buddha

So sorry Rip. Life is beautiful and tragic at the same time. Focusing on all the good we have in life helps us navigate those challenges. Keep the faith.

Reactions: RochLion
Some Yeats:

To a Child Dancing in the Wind
Dance there upon the shore;
What need have you to care
For wind or water's roar?
And tumble out your hair
That the salt drops have wet;
Being young you have not known
The fool's triumph, nor yet
Love lost as soon as won,
Nor the best laborer dead
And all the sheaves to bind.
What need have you to dread
The monstrous crying of wind?

So sorry to hear about your son. I can only imagine what this sort of experience is like for a parent of a beloved child. He is adult age but your mind goes back to those days of innocence and dreams.

Not to minimize your pain and cheapen the thread, but I have to ask, how does a compromised person end up with Covid when medical facilities everywhere are using all protective measures at their disposal. The damn thing is exceptionally contagious but almost entirely respiratory in transmission. Masking is vaunted as the key prevention tool but seems more like a diffuser to me. It works but only to a point and in conjunction with separation in distance.
Fact is...he is in a facility in Tennersee.
Land of leaders weaned on lead poisoned white lightning

..... during my only Zoom session I had with him...the attending staff and my son did not wear masks nor did the staff practice safe distancing. That session ended up being the opposite of assuring.. and set off the alarm in my head.

Reactions: LionJim
That’s gut wrenching to read rip. Best of luck to your son on his recovery. Here’s to hoping he comes out of it on the other side a stronger man.

Your son is in our thoughts and prayers. I can relate, to some extent, with the challenges my own son has experienced. It is a punch in the face and kick in the coins at the same time. It gives me joy that you have pictures to reflect on and create positivity in your life. Stay strong and best wishes for a positive outcome.

ADVERTISEMENT