ADVERTISEMENT

Looking ahead to next year

bdgan

May 29, 2008
A lot of key players are likely gone. Clifford, Dotson, 3 OL, Mustipher, Castro-Fields, Brisker, Ebiketie, Brooks, Luketta, Stout, etc.

I'm not sure if the young players will be ready. Will it be a rebuilding year or will we be able to fill the key spots with transfers from the portal?

Last edited:
A lot of key players are likely gone. Clifford, Dotson, 3 OL, Mustipher, Castro-Fields, Brisker, Brooks, Luketta, Stout, etc.

I'm not sure if the young players will be ready. Will it be a rebuilding year or will we be able to fill the key spots with transfers from the portal?
I think we’ve got the cupboards full enough to replace them with high quality, though inexperienced young players. Plug in a portal guy or two, and we’ll be fine. The QB competition should be interesting. Is Allar good enough as a true freshman to win the job?

1. I am not sure we will lose as many players to non graduation draft than we think. I think with the ability to make money (NIL) that some of the players might stay because they are iffy with the draft. Look at what it is probably going to do for Brisker and TCF.
2. What OL are out of eligibility? Besides Walker I can see them all coming back for another run. I look at Menet....5 star guy, multi year starter, practice squad player.
3. I am going to say it now, Clifford comes back for another year.
4. Hopefully Singleton has a little more boom than the backs we have now. I have been, since day one, not impressed with the stable of our backs.....slow hitting the whole, no threat to take it to the house.

QB Room Depth Chart next year:

QB1: Clifford
QB2: Allar
QB3: CV or TR
QB4: Prebulla (sp)

TR or CV portal after the year.

A lot of key players are likely gone. Clifford, Dotson, 3 OL, Mustipher, Castro-Fields, Brisker, Brooks, Luketta, Stout, etc.

regarding the transfer portal. I'm sure there's no limit on how many you can bring in, but I don't think we've seen schools bring in more than a couple per year. I could see it sending a bad message to the team and recruits if a coach went out and stocked 5 or 6 positions with transfers.

regarding the transfer portal. I'm sure there's no limit on how many you can bring in, but I don't think we've seen schools bring in more than a couple per year. I could see it sending a bad message to the team and recruits if a coach went out and stocked 5 or 6 positions with transfers.
I used to think that as well, but at what cost comes loyalty. Lets just say Franklin told AK no because we have Issac and maybe Beamon. Issac gets hurt and Beamon for some reason is missing.....now the starting DE are Luketa and Tarburton. Loyalty only goes so far.

Reactions: ftlpsu
2. What OL are out of eligibility? Besides Walker I can see them all coming back for another run.
Holmes, Miranda, Whigan, and Wilson are all listed as seniors who have used their redshirt.

I don't know if they have a Covid year or if they would be interested in using it.

DE Issac, Tarburton, Smith Vilbert, Fisher, Mostella, Townley Jr., Vanover
DT Ellies, Beamon, Izzard,Brevard, van den Berg
LB Buddin, Jacobs, Katshir, King, Elsdon
C Porter, Dixon, King, Davis Jr., Wilson, Hardy (nickel)
S Ellis, Jennings, Lytton, Reed, Rudolph, Wheatley,

Probably missed a few, transfer portal at ILB would help with some experience. One of the many DE is going to have to take a step forward. Inexperienced but athletic and deep if most take a step forward. Brandon Smith coming back would be huge but I don't see it.

Real simple - and we're seeing it right now - PSU's 2022 comes down to QB depth. Clifford needs to come back. I keep seeing Allar mentioned and no doubt, he's a top notch HS QB. But he'll be a TRUE freshman and will have a tremendous amount of pressure thrown on him if he's forced to start. We saw it earlier in the year with Stroud at OSU - he made some bonehead throws and mistakes but is really coming around now with some experience under his belt. And he's a RS freshman with a year in OSU's system.

I'm fully convinced now the the MVP in the B1G - to his team - has to be Clifford. Maybe not the flashiest or the strongest arm, but rock solid. If he's back in a couple of weeks, PSU can still make a run.

A lot of key players are likely gone. Clifford, Dotson, 3 OL, Mustipher, Castro-Fields, Brisker, Ebiketie, Brooks, Luketta, Stout, etc.

It would be nice to add Franklin to your list. He’s clearly a “player” :cool:

Real simple - and we're seeing it right now - PSU's 2022 comes down to QB depth. Clifford needs to come back. I keep seeing Allar mentioned and no doubt, he's a top notch HS QB. But he'll be a TRUE freshman and will have a tremendous amount of pressure thrown on him if he's forced to start. We saw it earlier in the year with Stroud at OSU - he made some bonehead throws and mistakes but is really coming around now with some experience under his belt. And he's a RS freshman with a year in OSU's system.

I'm fully convinced now the the MVP in the B1G - to his team - has to be Clifford. Maybe not the flashiest or the strongest arm, but rock solid. If he's back in a couple of weeks, PSU can still make a run.
Anyone we play at QB will have growing pains, even a transfer. Go with the best young guy and take a rebuilding year.

why is his time done? he is playing at a very high level.
Is Clifford's goal to be in the NFL? If it is, no way he comes back.. At the end of the 2022 season or at the 2023 draft, how old will he be?

I think he is gone after this season.

I think next season could be like the 2018 season, we will be good, but not a PO or NY6 team.. It will be about getting guys experience and playing for 2023.

I agree. He's not going to be a high NFL QB IMHO. While it is a weak QB draft, his chance to play football at a high level is at PSU. If I am him, I milk that experience for as long as I can. His future, after PSU, is holding a clipboard or moving on to a non-football player life.

Reactions: BBrown and ftlpsu
I agree. He's not going to be a high NFL QB IMHO. While it is a weak QB draft, his chance to play football at a high level is at PSU. If I am him, I milk that experience for as long as I can. His future, after PSU, is holding a clipboard or moving on to a non-football player life.
holding a clipboard and still making more money then all of us.. Don't see what is wrong with that.

Reactions: BBrown
Anyone we play at QB will have growing pains, even a transfer. Go with the best young guy and take a rebuilding year.
The 2022 rebuilding year seems to be the the choice for many on this board but my feeling is that PSU has the 2nd best recruiting success in the B1G over the last 3 to 4 years and it just seems everything is there for a run in 2022 except at QB. If that gets solved, who knows ?

Last edited:
holding a clipboard and still making more money then all of us.. Don't see what is wrong with that.
To be clear, I didn't say that there was anything wrong with that. But it isn't playing in front of 80,000+ screaming fans. Hell, selling cars can be lucrative but it certainly isn't the rush of playing QB.

Last edited:
Next year, this team has to take advantage of Ohio State at home in a white out. No rebuilding year when that happens. Michigan State is at home too.

The road schedule is not too bad -- Michigan is the toughest, followed by Auburn, but the home schedule aside from tOSU and MSU is somewhat soft.

He’s already 23 years old. If he has any aspirations of playing professional football, it’s time to go. He’s not a starter at the next level, but can bank some nice coin holding a clipboard for a few seasons.
I guess it can be looked at 2 different ways.

He leaves for draft after this year, makes a practice squad, and hopefully holds a clipboard for some years.
OR
He stays, gets some NIL, and another year under MY, and gets drafted in to a better situation.

why is his time done? he is playing at a very high level.
I'm kind of 50/50 on it. I can see him coming back, especially now since he's hurt and no one is sure what his timeline back will be but also because of playing with Liam (his brother).
But he will also be what 22? 23? maybe it is time to move on.

Reactions: Texas Lion
Clifford is the best we have to be sure, but he is not even a clipboard guy...He is a slightly above average P5 college QB....Heart of a warrior, and proud to have him on our team.....

He’s already 23 years old. If he has any aspirations of playing professional football, it’s time to go. He’s not a starter at the next level, but can bank some nice coin holding a clipboard for a few seasons.

If that's his ceiling in the NFL, then what's the hurry? What's his age have anything to do with it? He can hold a clipboard just as well at 27, 28 as he can at 25, 26. I think his age is a factor against him coming back ONLY if he has a legitimate shot at being an NFL starter.

If that's his ceiling in the NFL, then what's the hurry? What's his age have anything to do with it? He can hold a clipboard just as well at 27, 28 as he can at 25, 26. I think his age is a factor against him coming back ONLY if he has a legitimate shot at being an NFL starter. Especially with NIL.

This.

If he’s current ceiling is clipboard then coming back is his only real opportunity to demonstrate he can do more/take the next step. Seems like a pretty low risk decision.

Do they still use clipboards? I think I saw one in the Smithsonian next to Archie Bunker’s chair.

Microsoft Surface Tablets if we want to be specific. Sean would be holding a Microsoft Surface Tablet, not a clipboard.

What has anyone heard about Landon Tengwell (OL)? Has he played at all this season?

Is it all bad if we lose half the OL? Pass protection has been good, but do we still have hope for run blocking? Traut will likely have a full stable of his own young guys he's molded to give it a go on the OL. Year 3 you'd hope to see progress from that group.

I'd bet we see an exodus of transfers in the RB room - will Cain just go pro? Or try and get healthy? Lovett gone. Ford will likely transfer. What about Lee/Holmes? Can we convince both to stick around and hold down the backfield until Singleton/Allen are ready?

Dotson hurts but there's still talent in that room. Washington/KLS/incoming Saunders.

TEs all back.

If Clifford doesn't return, we have two options - look hard at the portal for a one year rental with Allar behind him, or throw Allar to the wolves and hope for the growth leading into '23. we likely won't know what that looks like until December/January. Allar is enrolling early, which should be a benefit. Roberson/Veilleux probably aren't the longterm solutions at QB, so start planning for the future.

I think the staff may convince Luketa to come back - commit full time to DE and get drafted in rounds 4-6.

The secondary and LB is where we'll all of a sudden be hurting. I don't think fans are understanding just how good Brisker is. It would be nice to get Brown/Porter back, but they could be thinking pros after this year. TCF is gone. King had some buzz in the offseason but that has almost diminished completely.

I think the biggest thing will be to keep this staff intact for another year.

Reactions: BBrown
I guess it can be looked at 2 different ways.

He leaves for draft after this year, makes a practice squad, and hopefully holds a clipboard for some years.
OR
He stays, gets some NIL, and another year under MY, and gets drafted in to a better situation.
Don’t know for certain, but I’d guess that NFL clipboard money is way better than what he'd make with NIL.

Reactions: bdgan
If that's his ceiling in the NFL, then what's the hurry? What's his age have anything to do with it? He can hold a clipboard just as well at 27, 28 as he can at 25, 26. I think his age is a factor against him coming back ONLY if he has a legitimate shot at being an NFL starter.
Fair points, but NFL clipboard money, esp if his draft stock isn’t going to rise much, might be too good to pass up.

Major rebuild next year, IMHO.

I appreciate everything Clifford has done here but he hasn’t been able to stay on the field in any of his years and he has to move on sooner or later. If PSU is rebuilding, it needs to bring along the next QB class.

ADVERTISEMENT