ADVERTISEMENT

Long Road Trip

FJ47

Jul 30, 2015
Heading west to visit the Rapid City area, Glacier NP, Grand Teton NP, Yellowstone NP and Cody WY.
If you've been to any of these places, what's you #1 don't miss when visiting there?

I would appreciate any input you may care to give, many thanks.

Heading west to visit the Rapid City area, Glacier NP, Grand Teton NP, Yellowstone NP and Cody WY.
If you've been to any of these places, what's you #1 don't miss when visiting there?

What is your starting point and how much time have you allotted?

Reactions: FJ47
Leaving central PA, it will take 3 weeks or a little more. Allowing 2 or 3 days at each area. Trying to get the highlights of each which could determine a longer vacation somewhere down the road.

Enter Yellowstone from the north through Beartooth Pass. Maybe take in Devil's Tower and Custer Battlefield Park on the way. Mount Rushmore, Badlands and Wall Drug.

Suggestion --
Take # I-70W as a starting point
-- Wright Patterson Air Base
-- Wright Bros studio
-- Indianapolis Speedway
-- St. Louis Arch and 'Go West' museum underneath arch
-- Denver/Pikes Peak/Boulder/Golden/Air Force Academy
-- Berthold Pass
-- Rocky Mountain National Park (highest/longest paved road in US above 10,000)
-- Big Thompson Canyon to Loveland, CO
Take # I-25 to Cheyenne, WY
-- across WY or through Bridger Mtn. to Jackson
-- Jackson Hole, WY and the 'Le GrandeTetons'
-- Yellowstone through the South Gate
-- see everything Yellowstone
-- Yellowstone exit the East Gate
-- Cody, WY
-- to Sheridan, WY over the Bighorn Mtns.
Take # I-90
-- Gillette, WY and Devils Tower
-- Rapid City is the jump off point to Mt. Rushmore
-- Wisconsin Dells (vacation land of hotels and water parks)
-- Madison, WI
Take # I-94
-- Chicago
-- 94/90/80 to Indiana and Ohio pikes
-- 80 to Penn State
-- Home………..

Others will have more experience than me, but I envy you and your 3 week adventure. One can't miss suggestion is the beartooth highway, if you are going during the summer. You can drive all the way to Red Lodge, which is a neat little town. Also, Livingston is a cool town north of Yellowstone that I highly recommend. We stayed at an awesome AirBnB there and can give you their info is desired. In the Tetons, check out Peggy Lake and the waterfall trail hike. Lots of great stuff in GNP, but not one more outstanding than the rest.

With regards to my suggestion -- you will miss Glacier and 'going to the sun' road. Of course there are many additional things to see and do.

One of our experiences that was just amazing -- the road between Yellowstone South Gate and Jackson at 2:00 AM is completely black without ambient light. Hopefully you will have a clear night, stop the car, lay back on the hood or other blanket area and see the Milky Way (or something akin to this feature).....the stars are all over the place, and so many. Just amazing !! Over the years -- something to cherish and really miss.

The Buffal Bill Center of the West consists of several museums in Cody. It is a must see. We only spent 1/2 day there on our Caravan tour and I wished that we had longer because I became immersed in the firearms museum downstairs.

You may want to look at Caravan or other you r companies for ideas on itineraries, routing and attractions. The National Oregon/California Trail Center located half way between Jackson and Salt Lake City was kind of cool and very educational. It offered a nice break on that leg of our trip.

I have been to all of those places and all are excellent suggestions. As suggested, don't miss the Cody Museum. It is amazing! A half day won't do it justice. It has 5 parts and you could spend half day in each. The Native American part is almost worth the trip.

To really enjoy Yellowstone, you have to spend enough time to see all the wonderful things there. We spent four nights there and I suggest a minimum of five nights to see all there is to see without feeling rushed.
Yellowstone is huge, so you need to plan your lodging so that you aren't wasting a lot of time driving back and forth. The main road is a figure-8 and you should not stay in the same spot throughout your visit. We spent the first night in the lodge by "Old Faithful", at the bottom of the figure-8, then 2 nights in cabins at the top of the figure-8, and our last night at the hotel on Lake Yellowstone. I would have liked at least one more night as that would have allowed more at some of the sights we really enjoyed plus maybe see some things we missed.
We also spent one night each in Grand Tetons and Jackson and that wasn't enough to get a feel for those places.

I have been to Yellowstone six times and Glacier three times. If i wanted to do both i would do Glacier first and this is how i would do it.
80 to Toledo, 75 to the UP of Michigan then Rt 2 all the way to Browning Mt. This adds some mileage but is a nicer and more relaxing drive. 89 from Browning to St Marys. This crosses Blackfeet Indian Res. and is open range. I encounter both cattle and horses on the road.
In order to do the Bear Tooth Pass, from Glacier i would take 89 and 87 to 90 at Billings. 90 west to Laurel, 212 to Red Lodge and the bear tooth to the NE entrance to Yellowstone.
Yellowstone, Tetons then back to Yellowstone.
Leave Yellowstone via the East entrance to Cody. From Cody 14 to 90 to Rapid City.
In the Rapid City area i would suggest, Deadwood. Rushmore, the motorcycle museum in Sturgis and The Badlands.

Reactions: royboy

Corn palace, Mitchell SD

Skip Rapid City. Why Mt. Rushmore is considered such a big deal is a mystery to me. You see it, then what? Drive by, stop, look at the monument, leave. That’s my advice.

Also, skip Deadwood. Calamity Jane and Wild Bill Hickcok are buried next to each in the Mt. Moriah cemetery there. Hickok had no say in the side by side graves. He was dead and Jane asked to be buried next to him. Their graves are fenced in. That’s nothing special and you could get a coronary walking up Mt. Moriah where the cemetery is. It’s a crazy place to bury the dead.

Deadwood, a little north of Rapid, burned down twice so the buildings are nothing like they were.

The drive from Deadwood to Spearfish is absolutely beautiful (I think it’s Rte.14A). That and a stop at Crazy Horse would be my recommendations. To be fair, I’ve spent two weeks a year for ten years doing business in Rapid, so I may be a bit jaded.

Sounds like a great trip. Have fun.

Last edited:
So the wife and I did a trip from Denver to Custer SD, to Livingston MT to Whitefish and finally Sandpoint ID. We had been to Yellowstone/GTNP/Jackson a couple of times. Based on what you are seeing/doing if you haven't already you should get a national parks pass it will be cheaper than paying at each park. So places that I think you should check out:
1) Badland NP
2) Custer State Park - very gorgeous scenery
3) If you must - and by that I mean if you have never done it before and do not think you will do it again in your lifetime - stop at Rushmore - go at night and see the lighting of the monument then get out and never think of it again - sorry I just thought Rushmore was worthless!
4) DO NOT GO TO CRAZY HORSE - in showing pictures that we took of Crazy Horse a month ago to our neighbors, they pulled out photos that were 5 years old and there was no difference - I am not sure they are actually working on completing the Crazy Horse Monument - the tribes are just collecting the money.
5) There are two caves near Custer - Jewell Cave and Wind Cave - we only had time to do a Jewell Cave tour (we picked Jewell based on the recommendation of a friend that said if you could only do one Jewell should be it - this cave is mammoth - the Entrance to Jewell cave is something like 15 miles west of Custer SD - there are individuals that are exploring the cave system that think the cave will reach under Custer.
6) We did not get to eat here - but several people told us to eat at the Black Hills Burger and Bun Company in Custer - the wait was 1 1/2 hours - we declined even though the guy walking out said stay in line it's worth it!
7) After Jewell Cave we drove west and then northwest to see Devil's Tower - there is a mileish long hike (paved) that encircles the Tower and the Tower is different from each side. I wish we would have had more opportunity to explore around Devil's Tower - the area around the Tower was really pretty and not what I expected.
8) Again, as someone mentioned above, on the way northwest from Devil's Tower towards 90 you can stop at the Little Big Horn National Monument. I was happy that we got to stop there, you don't need much time there (maybe an hour) but I thought it was a nice stop. Also chatted with a PSU grad from NY at LBHNM - we are - everywhere!
9) I have never done the drive through Red Lodge but I have heard very nice things.
10) As someone stated above - to maximize your time if Yellowstone you need to plan where you will be staying so that you are not driving around the figure 8 all day.
11) We really liked Livingston, MT - small town - ranching area just 55 miles north of Gardiner, MT (the north entrance to Yellowstone). If you stop in Livingston, go have a drink at the Murray hotel - recommended by Bozeman panic fans in the lot at Red Rocks as well as Anthony Bourdain (at least he did recommend it). Old hotel with ghosts and all.
12) We also enjoyed Bozeman, very different from Livingston even though they are only 25 miles apart. Small college town - we should all be fans of small college towns right?
13) Since you are also going to GTNP - I will tell you that I liked the hiking and solitude of getting into the Park on the west side - you would drive towards Grand Targhee ski area and there is a road that takes you towards the west side of the park. Then you hike in. While you are on the west side of the Tetons check out Driggs and Victor and the Teton Valley. Less crowded and more laid back than the Jackson side of Teton Pass.
14) Finally, Glacier - words cannot describe the majesty of GNP!!!!!! I am making an assumption here so if I am wrong I am sorry, but I assume that you as with 99.99999999% of visitors will only see the Going to the Sun Road portion of the park (still worth it!!) my only advise is get into the park early - like 6AM by noon there will be no parking available in the park at major stops along going to the sun road.

If you are going to do any backcountry hiking in YNP/GTNP/GNP - be bear aware and prepared! Have fun!

Thank you all very much for the replies. I was sure I would get some great suggestions and I did. This should be a great 3 weeks but it will be a lot of driving. Thanks again. Go Lions.

Make it to Yellowstone before the volcano erupts!

But seriously, all those places are gorgeous. Just don't drive past. Get out an enjoy the spots for an hour or two.

Without knowing what route you're taking out there, one of the most underrated scenic spots is approaching Chamberlain, SD on I-90. Your typical midwestern fields feel, then you cross the river and you get a near sudden and drastic change of scenery.

The Cody night rodeo is a hoot if you will be staying there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT