ADVERTISEMENT

Logo Question for the board

STPGopherfan

Gold Member
Aug 10, 2001
As many know I am a 'closet' Nittany Lions fan. The question I have for this board is this. Is the classic block S a well recognized logo?
3-Penn-State-Block-S-Magnet__S_1_1328c526-1d4e-4ca6-846c-e7f05386e838_720x.jpg

I'd like to experiment doing a one off project (Marquetry/ Veneer). I think the modernized or the classic Nittany lions would be too complicated for me to pull off. If it isn't recognized, then I would consider something else.

It’s recognizable as Penn State. Not as much as the chipmunk logo, but I occasionally see a hat or sweatshirt with a block S.

Reactions: auxgym
It is used as a secondary symbol. It's not that unique but if presented in context people obviously know what it is.

Reactions: WaylonJ
As many know I am a 'closet' Nittany Lions fan. The question I have for this board is this. Is the classic block S a well recognized logo?

I'd like to experiment doing a one off project (Marquetry/ Veneer). I think the modernized or the classic Nittany lions would be too complicated for me to pull off. If it isn't recognized, then I would consider something else.
Looking to print up and sell some tshirts on your trip to Happy Valley to visit us? MaconNitt and I get a 5% cut. And make sure they are long sleeve, the game is in November and it will be chilly at the shot clock! :rolleyes::p

Reactions: MaconNitt
I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but I agree with Peanut Butter and would not associate that S with Penn State. I get “For the glory…” and “Let’s go State” but both have important context. But other than those 2, does anyone really ever refer to Penn State as just “State?” I know in my almost 40 years of being a student and alum, I haven’t.

Reactions: 84Lion
The Block S is recognizable as a Penn State logo if you are in State College, on campus, at a PSU tailgate, or watch party. If you are wearing a Block S cap while hiking on a trail in Idaho and you run across a bear, the bear will probably ask what the "S" stands for right before he eats you.

PSU fans and alums would recognize it. Casual and non-fans not so much.
S Zone, letterman's jacket, Alma Mater, S baseball caps. If you are in PA, kind of obvious.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown
I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but I agree with Peanut Butter and would not associate that S with Penn State. I get “For the glory…” and “Let’s go State” but both have important context. But other than those 2, does anyone really ever refer to Penn State as just “State?” I know in my almost 40 years of being a student and alum, I haven’t.
I have never referred to us as State.

For some reason, I always found the generic "State" to be rather condescending for some reason. As in, "oh, you went to State" rather like it was an advanced state-affiliated high school follow-on rather than a full-fledged university. I think in the "olden days" state-affiliated colleges were referred to as "State," but I think that term has become passe.

For an abbreviation, PS is fine, PSU is what it should be. Michigan State can keep their "S."

sarcasm? The fight song is literally “Fight On State”
True, but when is that song ever sung anywhere other than a Penn State athletic event? That’s what I mean by context. Think of it like this - If somebody asked you where you went to college and you answered “State,” AND YOU WEREN’T in Pennsylvania, where do you think they’d think you went? To whatever the state school is in the state you’re in. Right?

True, but when is that song ever sung anywhere other than a Penn State athletic event? That’s what I mean by context. Think of it like this - If somebody asked you where you went to college and you answered “State,” AND YOU WEREN’T in Pennsylvania, where do you think they’d think you went? To whatever the state school is in the state you’re in. Right?
Don't disagree its vague, which is different than saying in no way is it recognizable. Most block letter logos are vague/generic. Tons of schools, college and high school, use them.

I've seen it on lettermen's jackets. There's a classic photo of Ted Kwalick and Denny Onkotz holding All American certificates and wearing their lettermen's jackets with the Block S. (Sorry, I couldn't find it on the Intertubes.) I think I saw a photo of P.J. Mustipher wearing the same style jacket a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
I've seen it on lettermen's jackets. There's a classic photo of Ted Kwalick and Denny Onkotz holding All American certificates and wearing their lettermen's jackets with the Block S. (Sorry, I couldn't find it on the Intertubes.) I think I saw a photo of P.J. Mustipher wearing the same style jacket a few weeks ago.
Probably borrowed from a couple guys who went to Susquehanna.

We’ll, you’ve got a few choices although I don’t know what would be too difficult.

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

Thanks to all for the feedback! I am now thinking it would be better to go in a different direction. Most likely the Current Nittany Lion Logo.

ADVERTISEMENT