ADVERTISEMENT

LL world series

a_mshaffer

Dec 8, 2014
I know we're rooting for the PA team (outside of philly) but the Maryland team has a kid we all have to root for - #77 Peyton Castellow introduces himself by declaring "I like to wrestle"

I know we're rooting for the PA team (outside of philly) but the Maryland team has a kid we all have to root for - #77 Peyton Castellow introduces himself by declaring "I like to wrestle"
My cousins boy played for team Virginia a couple years ago. He made ESPNs play of the day with a game ending catch he made.

He too likes to wrestle. He's won a few Virginia state wrestling championships throughout his youth.

and he was the smallest dude too. loved it.

if you follow the LL games (not just this age group) the PA (kennett square) rep for the junior division won the east regional and will rep the east in the World series. They beat NY 15-5 in the regional final.

They are solid.

Back to what we are watching,....NJ beat PA and awaits the winner of this game. PA would have to beat them twice to go to Wpt.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
That was a painful inning for PA. I live 25 minutes from Thurmont (cute town just south of Gettysburg) so I was pulling for them, but you hate to see young kids struggle like that PA pitchers did...

Reactions: johnstownsteel
just read a comment about "not only getting the wrestler, but you get his dad". Made me think of my LL coaching days. Coaches not picking kids for their team or the all-star team due to one or both of the parents. Then, of course, you have the opposite as well. Made me smile.

Reactions: Gebmo
just read a comment about "not only getting the wrestler, but you get his dad". Made me think of my LL coaching days. Coaches not picking kids for their team or the all-star team due to one or both of the parents. Then, of course, you have the opposite as well. Made me smile.
Yep. Youth sports would be so much better without the parents.

we would have much better coaching, leagues, reffing, events if parents acted liked parents. Keeps a lot of good people from volunteering.

It's a shame what has happened over the years. Back in the 1970s into the early 1980s I helped coach CYO age group Track & Field and Cross Country teams and the help given by parents was key to our success. We had 4 different age groups, boys and girls, and had a coach for each of those 8 teams plus a specific coach for each field event (high jump, long jump, and shot put) and they were all parents. I don't remember even one problem with a parent.

It's a shame what has happened over the years. Back in the 1970s into the early 1980s I helped coach CYO age group Track & Field and Cross Country teams and the help given by parents was key to our success. We had 4 different age groups, boys and girls, and had a coach for each of those 8 teams plus a specific coach for each field event (high jump, long jump, and shot put) and they were all parents. I don't remember even one problem with a parent.
Oh, the stories I could tell about youth Track and Field parents, and not stories like Dogwelder mentions, either.

Parents are the #1 problem with youth sports. #2 is the coach (usually hell bent on winning, etc) - trying to still reach for glory :). This is looking at youth sports when asking what is wrong. Lots of good answers when asking what is right.

Back in the good old days you could leave your children unattended for hours with a drunk, abusive Walter Matthau. Parents stayed away until you started winning. Also, children smoked cigarettes and rode motorcycles. Little league is totally different now.

Back in the good old days you could leave your children unattended for hours with a drunk, abusive Walter Matthau. Parents stayed away until you started winning. Also, children smoked cigarettes and rode motorcycles. Little league is totally different now.
Yes! We have seen the historical document you reference. It was as you say. ;)

ThermianHuman.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tikk10
I coached, umpired and sat on the board of our local Little league and Babe Ruth leagues. I got in a nasty debate on the L.L board when the coaches were cutting roster sizes so they did not have to deal with the mandatory play rules. I said it would come back to have a long term spiral effect on participation. The league is now defunct. Coaches fault.
I then had the pleasure to run our youth basketball program. Almost 250 kids with 24 travel teams. I listed my phone number on the sign up sheets for the parents to contact me with any problems. I could write a book on the idiotic complaints I received. My typical response was," It is not a mandate that your child plays basketball". Parent's fault.
Youth sports should be a teaching tool for real life situations. It should reflect sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. You're going to make mistakes and be made aware of it by a superior.
I think some of the problem kids have today in dealing with life difficulties is related to not being prepared for those situations when they are young.

I coached, umpired and sat on the board of our local Little league and Babe Ruth leagues. I got in a nasty debate on the L.L board when the coaches were cutting roster sizes so they did not have to deal with the mandatory play rules. I said it would come back to have a long term spiral effect on participation. The league is now defunct. Coaches fault.
I then had the pleasure to run our youth basketball program. Almost 250 kids with 24 travel teams. I listed my phone number on the sign up sheets for the parents to contact me with any problems. I could write a book on the idiotic complaints I received. My typical response was," It is not a mandate that your child plays basketball". Parent's fault.
Youth sports should be a teaching tool for real life situations. It should reflect sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. You're going to make mistakes and be made aware of it by a superior.
I think some of the problem kids have today in dealing with life difficulties is related to not being prepared for those situations when they are young.
Thanks for sharing. Similar experiences as umpire and coach, though I must say, most (parents) were awesome. Only a couple made it bad for everyone.

Reactions: pawrestlersintn
ADVERTISEMENT