ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball LIVE THREAD/PREVIEW: Penn State Basketball versus Rutgers

Wife is a RU/Douglas College ( all women's campus) grad. Watched the 1st half with her. We were lucky to be down 8 at half.

Harrar missed bunnies and free throws. Lundy made our only 3...which was contested...missed 4 point ft....and we haven't made many wide open chances since. Seth gave up 2 critical turnovers that lead to dunks.

RU should've been up 15 or more.

Haven't found a way yet to make it work with both Lee and harrar on the floor at the same time.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
1-14 from 3 for Nits. Dunk City on other end. We have settled down but each basket for us is requiring a lot of effort and precision....their baskets are coming with ease. Posterizing dunks one after the next. John allowing Reiber to be productive in first half and 11 coming in to play strong in 2nd is not a good combo. 21 is tired...not a good sign...warrior for sure

I like how Shrew keeps us doing what we do...execution is what's lacking but if we try and run the roof will be off the place. Saw PSU beat Rutgers in the RAC in Quaterfinals of NIT in maybe 1989 or 90. Great atmosphere. Steep sidelines. Loud. Announcers Stat: State 1-16 from 3...Lundy's first shot and our first points of game. Gotta keep plugging and play d

No idea. Weird in bounds which begged to be picked off....odd.
Two head scratchers in that last minute. Why Lee was the guy taking a shot is for sure one.
The other, and IMHO larger, is our fouling McConnell 35 feet from the basket, (down 1 point) with the shot clock approximately 8 seconds less than the time remaining in the game.
In that situation you play defense to get a stop and then get up court and the last shot for the potential win.

Reactions: bison13
This team rarely gets blown out but cannot win the close games. Wisky, Minny, scUM, Purdon't, Illini, Rutgers were all games we had a good chance to win with 1-2 minutes left or less. There probably are more I am missing. We did beat Iowa and Sparty in close games. I think overall we are 4-8 in close conference games. Gotta be able to flip this script next season.

Two head scratchers in that last minute. Why Lee was the guy taking a shot is for sure one.
The other, and IMHO larger, is our fouling McConnell 35 feet from the basket, (down 1 point) with the shot clock approximately 8 seconds less than the time remaining in the game.
In that situation you play defense to get a stop and then get up court and the last shot for the potential win.
Initial thought was the same...but they did it so quickly that I figured it was discussed during timeout. Why? Not sure.

This team rarely gets blown out but cannot win the close games. Wisky, Minny, scUM, Purdon't, Illini, Rutgers were all games we had a good chance to win with 1-2 minutes left or less. There probably are more I am missing. We did beat Iowa and Sparty in close games. I think overall we are 4-8 in close conference games. Gotta be able to flip this script next season.
Several thoughts... 1 - Because of inconsistency from one game to the next it is hard to identify who our go to player is in the clutch and even when we do seem to have that figured out said player suddenly goes cold. 2 - Culture of winning needs to be instilled. In close games many of the teams listed expect to win because their experienced having that outcome. As a result they either make the clutch play or avoid the unforced errors with the game is on the line. 3 - If we had a true 4 that could play the low block to compliment our 5 we would likely see less tight coverage and be able to play hi-low for better percentages shots. Down the stretch those baskets become critical to hold leads or take control.

I'm pretty excited about what Coach Shrews is going to do for the program. Next season is critical to show more progress and have another solid recruiting class. We also need to continue working the portal hard and hope some of the key players on this team (Lundy and Pickett) are willing to give it another go.

After coming up with the turnover at the end of the game, why didn't anyone break to the basket for a wide open layup and win (only down by one). Everyone seemed to stay behind the arc. I blame that on Shrew for not having the players prepared for that contingency.

After coming up with the turnover at the end of the game, why didn't anyone break to the basket for a wide open layup and win (only down by one). Everyone seemed to stay behind the arc. I blame that on Shrew for not having the players prepared for that contingency.
You guys were tough as nails
Down 15 never quit
Best of luck in Big Twn Tournament
You guys can beat anyone

I was yelling for us to foul immediately in that spot. Rutgers still had two fouls to give, and I’d rather extend the game than have to get the stop then get the ball with 7-8 seconds left and the opponent having those fouls to give.

I was yelling for us to foul immediately in that spot. Rutgers still had two fouls to give, and I’d rather extend the game than have to get the stop then get the ball with 7-8 seconds left and the opponent having those fouls to give.
Well you got the strategy you wanted. It was unsuccessful, it gave them two points, you lost by one.

Well you got the strategy you wanted. It was unsuccessful, it gave them two points, you lost by one.
With 3 fouls to give in 8 seconds it is unlikely that we would get a shot off at all...whether the strategy worked or not is obvious but the fact that our staff showed that their heads were in the game late is positive....crunch time is usually when Pat crumbled. We have a long way to go and didn't win late games this year, but in hindsight I think Coach made the right call re quick shot to tie and then fouling. Lee for 3 is a different thing...

With 3 fouls to give in 8 seconds it is unlikely that we would get a shot off at all...whether the strategy worked or not is obvious but the fact that our staff showed that their heads were in the game late is positive....crunch time is usually when Pat crumbled. We have a long way to go and didn't win late games this year, but in hindsight I think Coach made the right call re quick shot to tie and then fouling. Lee for 3 is a different thing...
You do realize that, irrespective of us fouling them, they still had 3 fouls to give. As it turned out in the subsequent two possessions Rutgers was not fouling. While I realize there is the element of more time available, giving up the 2 points was huge.
I don't understand a PSU advantage by fouling first as it does not change at all the situation of Rutgers having fouls to give. While there was about an 8 second clock differentiation we get the rebound on a shot taken with 4 to 5 seconds left, we still have 12 seconds.
We went from training by 1 to trailing by 3. The 3 point shot that Sessioms made a possession later was accomplished without them fouling and it took place in far less time than 8 seconds.

Last edited:
so please tell us what you would have done in that situation
Seriously…the options are

A) play it out, trying to get a stop and a rebound. In doing so, Rutgers could hold it until 8 seconds left, and if everything went right for us, they still had 2 fouls to give while we had to go the length of the court in those ~8 seconds.

B) Try to trap them and/or extend the game by fouling if the right guy got the ball. We fouled Caleb McConnell, who came in as a 65% FT shooter, hadn’t shot a FT in over a week, and was 4-8 at the line over the past ~2 months since we last played Rutgers.

Extending the game seems like the clear option in that case…unless you’re trying to use results-based logic. And even so, we did end up getting off a shot for the win.

Seriously…the options are

A) play it out, trying to get a stop and a rebound. In doing so, Rutgers could hold it until 8 seconds left, and if everything went right for us, they still had 2 fouls to give while we had to go the length of the court in those ~8 seconds.

B) Try to trap them and/or extend the game by fouling if the right guy got the ball. We fouled Caleb McConnell, who came in as a 65% FT shooter, hadn’t shot a FT in over a week, and was 4-8 at the line over the past ~2 months since we last played Rutgers.

Extending the game seems like the clear option in that case…unless you’re trying to use results-based logic. And even so, we did end up getting off a shot for the win.
I understand your option, I was referring to Duff. As someone who has coached HS and college basketball for 21 years, I would have done the same as you and fouled immediately. We then could have tried to get quick 2's driving to the basket and kept fouling until the last possible time to need a 3 pt shot

Reactions: Erial_Lion
Pickett was under the basket and caught Sessoms missed shot... Just a second too late.

ADVERTISEMENT