ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling LIVE THREAD: Penn State vs. Rider 2/20

not sure if you are being facetious, or if you are serious?? but to be honest the fact very few seem to think this is an issue is far more telling than how Berge does at 157. AND coming into this match I cared more than a TON about that!!!
Did you check the Politics board?

Reactions: diggerpup
Byers was indeed off his game today. He thought the first stall warning in the 174 bout was against Rider (it was clearly called on Starocci), didn't realize the review in the 184 bout was a coaches challenge, and then was initially confused about Berge's opponent in the extra match. To be fair though, he pretty quickly corrected the mistake about the Rider wrestler in the extra match
Ironhead training through all week like a wrestler. Dude sitting on the john at 7:00 AM yelling "SPLASHDOWN!" "2 for Byers!"

I have zero inside info on this one, but I wouldn’t be shocked if RBY ended up with Sunkist Kids in Tempe. He’s got so many ties down there with friends and family. He can train with Cejudo at Fight Ready, and generally he seems to enjoy the sunshine (who could blame him). There are a lot of reasons why it would make sense for him.

Reactions: Ian
Byers

I could see RBY go the MMA route, but what's the point in going somewhere else to wrestle collegiately? That wouldn't seem to make much sense. But then, what the hell do I know?
So his parents could watch him wrestle all home meets? They'd, RBY and his parents, would probably like that, at least I think they would.

Those of us watching on B1G+ were treated to no sound during the anthem! Asinine!!
Apparently the word is that the powers to be.....after watching the Olympics....have decided that the US is the only country whose National Anthem is about war and further decided that they will play "America the Beautiful" but during this time of the serious Russia/Ukraine conflict......will not play any song that glorifies war.

PS: I just made all this Sh@t up. Damned this beer is strong :). I hope you read this far before your head exploded :)

• Haha
Reactions: SOCLion
The coolest non-wrestling action was when Kinner went to the end of the gym for his cool down after his match. A little boy probably around 3 got in on the action and started racing him. Kinner was a great sport and probably ran 10 times or so with the little guy.

Now if that were Turk, he would have tripped the kid, stole his foam finger they were handing out and stepped on his hand on the way out.

Joking of course but I like seeing these guys engaging with the young kids. Some of them will never forget it. And I'm sure Turk would have sold the foam finger back to the kid ;)

My original post i said i was to lazy to use google.....
My guess was wrong and I should have just used google to start with.....
My recollection isn't always spot on
Don’t use Google at all, they’re not nice people!!

Reactions: Ski
Well here it is, the last dual meet of the season breakdown:

First off, utmost respect to Rider. Those kids came to Rec Hall to win. They were in shape, had grit, toughness, and didn't back down. That says a lot about that program to go on the road against a powerhouse and compete.

157: Hello Brady Berge. Ever since Brady announced he was coming back, I was hoping he would slot in at this weight. He did quite well at 65, and think he definitely would have scored some points there, but him at 57 and Edsell at 65 is better for the team as a whole. If Brady is making the cut just for the team, then words can't describe this kid. To get injured when he was having probably his best season, retire, come out of retirement to wrestle 65, then make the cut to 57 to help win a team championship should be a story told on sportscenter. Sorry, got off topic. Brady wrestled really well today, apparently in both matches (didn't get to see his extra). Looked to have the tank against a respectfully lesser opponent but glad he got to step out there twice to get a feel. Interesting to see where he gets seeded and excited for him.

165: Edsell comes back in after Brady drops and to be honest, didn't look as good as I would have hoped. I thought after taking a backseat he would be eager to go dominate to reassure everyone and himself he's the guy. Looked to gas halfway through. Could have been excitement being back in the lineup, or because it was senior day so he tried to do a little too much too early, but he gutted out a win and that's what matters.

174: Good to see CStar back in the lineup even with a taped wrist. I was watching to see if it bothered him at all and I didn't really get that impression. It didn't appear that the tape job was to immobilize as I watched him flex it more than a few times, not in pain, but just natural movement. I think he's fine. Bad news is it looked like we will be getting our anticipated final now in the semis as Labs beat Kem which will probably push Kem to the 4 seed behind Massa 2 and Labs 3.

184: Good for you Donovan Ball. It says a lot about a program when your backup comes out and looks like that. I guess wrestling Aaron Brooks every day makes wrestling other guys a little easier. Great movement and attacks, quick finishes, and a complete match overall.

197: I went to get a drink, but seen the replay. Looks like Max is ready to roll and the knee is healthy.

285: Typical Kerk. Takedown to cross face cradle. I'm thinking and hoping he's the 3 seed at BIGs. With a win over Cass in the semis that should cement him as the 3 seed at nationals as well. Look at me getting ahead of myself. One match at a time.

125: 3 strikes in baseball you're out, 3 strikes in bowling and its a turkey. There needs to be something for 3 pins in a row. I'm sure someone will come up with something more clever than I can. Drew proves wrestling until the whistle blows is definitely beneficial. An absolute hammer on top and hoping for more of that power half in the coming weeks. His bonus points will be huge.

133: If this was the last time for RBY in rec hall, he's given us all a hell of a show for his tenure. Looks like a man on a mission that may have grabbed another gear. If Cael can talk him into one more year he will without a doubt be a favorite for the hodge. Maybe a hodge trophy will be enough to lure him back for one more year.

141: Nick with a workman like performance against Kinner. Nick has had problems with leggers throughout his career. Luckily he's so good on his feet and his pace is incredible it very rarely comes into play. Like RBY, Nick has also given us a hell of a show for his career as well.

149: Has Beau turned a corner? The most offense I've seen from him in one match so far this season. I know it wasn't against someone in even close to AA caliber, but sometimes getting a few takedowns regardless of opponent can do wonders for confidence. Lets hope he continues to hit those shots and quick takedowns and he will surprise a lot of people moving forward not only this year, but for the next couple.

To the seniors. All I can say is thank you. The entire group of athletes that are going through college right now in every sport have definitely learned to roll with the punches. Matches, tournaments, practices, etc have been canceled and rescheduled on a days notice and it seems like all these kids have adapted well and responded even better. Andy Andrews said adversity is preparation for greatness. Go finish off your careers with greatness, however you individually may define it.

Now lets get healthy, focused up, and ready to bring home some hardware.

We Are!

I must confess that I remained seated on the couch for the entire national anthem. I did not stand because a tree fell in my backyard and I was waiting patiently to hear if it made a sound. Or even just a sigh of resignation.

Instead, I imagined the singer was doing a rendition of John Cage's famous 4 minutes and 33 seconds of silence. I had a great epiphany about the meaning life during those moments of quiet, but then I forgot it when Jeff Byers spoke.

At one point, I considered taking a knee in protest but my wooden floors were a tad dirty, and the cat beat me to the sunny spot on the rug, where he was already in a downward dog yoga asana (pose).

Next time this occurs, I will play Stavinsky's "Rites of Spring" or Ravel's Bolero. It will depend upon my mood and the phase of the moon.

I hope my confession is acceptable to that Unholy Trinity: Homer Simpson, Waldo, and George Carlin.

• Haha
Reactions: PSU Fan in TN
149: Has Beau turned a corner? The most offense I've seen from him in one match so far this season. I know it wasn't against someone in even close to AA caliber, but sometimes getting a few takedowns regardless of opponent can do wonders for confidence. Lets hope he continues to hit those shots and quick takedowns and he will surprise a lot of people moving forward not only this year, but for the next couple.

To the seniors. All I can say is thank you. The entire group of athletes that are going through college right now in every sport have definitely learned to roll with the punches. Matches, tournaments, practices, etc have been canceled and rescheduled on a days notice and it seems like all these kids have adapted well and responded even better. Andy Andrews said adversity is preparation for greatness. Go finish off your careers with greatness, however you individually may define it.

We Are!
It's nice to be positive, but we didn't learn anything new about Bartlett in that match, and certainly not enough to suggest that Bartlett has "turned a corner".

Before you have a stroke, could have been something as simple as BTN+ only had Byers audio feed and no access to the PA announcer / singer mic.

The BTN-plus technical productions always seem to be bare bones, but at least we get to see live wrestling
I did not realize that was Byers who was announcing the Seniors and Parents right before the Anthem. Was that the Same Feed? Serious Question?

Well here it is, the last dual meet of the season breakdown:

First off, utmost respect to Rider. Those kids came to Rec Hall to win. They were in shape, had grit, toughness, and didn't back down. That says a lot about that program to go on the road against a powerhouse and compete.

157: Hello Brady Berge. Ever since Brady announced he was coming back, I was hoping he would slot in at this weight. He did quite well at 65, and think he definitely would have scored some points there, but him at 57 and Edsell at 65 is better for the team as a whole. If Brady is making the cut just for the team, then words can't describe this kid. To get injured when he was having probably his best season, retire, come out of retirement to wrestle 65, then make the cut to 57 to help win a team championship should be a story told on sportscenter. Sorry, got off topic. Brady wrestled really well today, apparently in both matches (didn't get to see his extra). Looked to have the tank against a respectfully lesser opponent but glad he got to step out there twice to get a feel. Interesting to see where he gets seeded and excited for him.

165: Edsell comes back in after Brady drops and to be honest, didn't look as good as I would have hoped. I thought after taking a backseat he would be eager to go dominate to reassure everyone and himself he's the guy. Looked to gas halfway through. Could have been excitement being back in the lineup, or because it was senior day so he tried to do a little too much too early, but he gutted out a win and that's what matters.

174: Good to see CStar back in the lineup even with a taped wrist. I was watching to see if it bothered him at all and I didn't really get that impression. It didn't appear that the tape job was to immobilize as I watched him flex it more than a few times, not in pain, but just natural movement. I think he's fine. Bad news is it looked like we will be getting our anticipated final now in the semis as Labs beat Kem which will probably push Kem to the 4 seed behind Massa 2 and Labs 3.

184: Good for you Donovan Ball. It says a lot about a program when your backup comes out and looks like that. I guess wrestling Aaron Brooks every day makes wrestling other guys a little easier. Great movement and attacks, quick finishes, and a complete match overall.

197: I went to get a drink, but seen the replay. Looks like Max is ready to roll and the knee is healthy.

285: Typical Kerk. Takedown to cross face cradle. I'm thinking and hoping he's the 3 seed at BIGs. With a win over Cass in the semis that should cement him as the 3 seed at nationals as well. Look at me getting ahead of myself. One match at a time.

125: 3 strikes in baseball you're out, 3 strikes in bowling and its a turkey. There needs to be something for 3 pins in a row. I'm sure someone will come up with something more clever than I can. Drew proves wrestling until the whistle blows is definitely beneficial. An absolute hammer on top and hoping for more of that power half in the coming weeks. His bonus points will be huge.

133: If this was the last time for RBY in rec hall, he's given us all a hell of a show for his tenure. Looks like a man on a mission that may have grabbed another gear. If Cael can talk him into one more year he will without a doubt be a favorite for the hodge. Maybe a hodge trophy will be enough to lure him back for one more year.

141: Nick with a workman like performance against Kinner. Nick has had problems with leggers throughout his career. Luckily he's so good on his feet and his pace is incredible it very rarely comes into play. Like RBY, Nick has also given us a hell of a show for his career as well.

We Are!
Edsell wrestled the last match as well. Was wondering if he had a bug or something.... or that Merkel took it out of him!

Seabass has what looks to be a significant injury.
Rutgers article says he injured his right knee during the Princeton match and was walking with a noticeable limp. Goodale says he hopes he will be back for post season

It's nice to be positive, but we didn't learn anything new about Bartlett in that match, and certainly not enough to suggest that Bartlett has "turned a corner".
Not sure if its possible but I agree and disagree at the same time. I didn't learn anything new about Bartlett in that match. Other than opening up his offense, he was the same BB that has taken the mat all season. He stayed in good position, wrestled hard, and showed the stamina to go a full match and then some. Where I disagree at; BB showed he does indeed have offense. I've watched numerous wrestlers who have a dynamic offense in the practice room basically shut down in matches or tournaments. Some of those kids that I have seen got their offense going against a lesser opponent and it sparked their confidence and they built upon it against higher quality opponents. That is what I meant by BB possibly turning the corner.

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
Edsell wrestled the last match as well. Was wondering if he had a bug or something.... or that Merkel took it out of him!

Yeah, I am not a fan of the Merkel Takedown in many instances. It sure seems easy to envision throwing in a merkel from an overhook side or headlock and viola a TD in many instances it looks more like a positional advantage than full control but what do I know. I am surprised we don't see it more since you're body control with the leg on is not all that hard to do from certain positions. The kid tried it more than once on Edsel and almost got it the second time. You can tell it's a primary tool in his kit. Carter came within a whisker of losing his match with Kem over the same garbage. Merkel TD no mas.

Last edited:
Ouchy. Dean with the B&A and quick fall. 21-0 after five bouts.
Great win for Dean but the guy he wrestled was limping badly while warming up for his match. He could barely put weight on that left ankle. I can't believe the Coach even sent the guy out there. To top it off, Dean grabbed his bad ankle for the bow and arrow. Can't imagine the pain.

The coolest non-wrestling action was when Kinner went to the end of the gym for his cool down after his match. A little boy probably around 3 got in on the action and started racing him. Kinner was a great sport and probably ran 10 times or so with the little guy.

Now if that were Turk, he would have tripped the kid, stole his foam finger they were handing out and stepped on his hand on the way out.

Joking of course but I like seeing these guys engaging with the young kids. Some of them will never forget it. And I'm sure Turk would have sold the foam finger back to the kid ;)
I saw that and didn't realize who it was. Good for him.

I thought it was 'you ride me, I can ride you'.... he also wanted to get riding time under 1 min.... Nick looked fine....even Steiber was ridden out :)
Yeah, not only did Zain do it, but I saw a kid from Purdue ride Stieber out in a dual. Even great wrestlers have trouble at times getting out from skilled leg wrestlers.

fyi -

"Sebastian Rivera (knee): Rivera was in street clothes for the Columbia match after suffering his injury Friday against Princeton. He was walking with a noticeable limp, but all indications are the national title contender and No. 3-ranked 141-pounder will continue his season."
That is really too bad. Rivera had been wrestling so well. I can only hope he can heal enough before the National tournament to be able to compete at a high level. It makes me wonder if he will give it a complete go at B1G? I should know this, but what are the rules now about missing or only partially wrestling in your conference tourney? On another note, I noticed Eierman tweaked one of his knees against Nebraska. Hopefully it is nothing serious.

ADVERTISEMENT