ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling LIVE THREAD: Penn State vs. Michigan State 1/21

Go back and watch 174. Carter didn’t have NF. The beginning was cut off but he didn’t have exposure.

Reactions: diggerpup
There was some RT problem it appeared, Byers talked about it too. PSU coaches encouraged to get it started again without addressing the RT issue to avoid giving caffey an extended lunger

Dean has been unimpressive so far. Maybe I just didnt pay enough attention to him in the past, but I’ve seen very little offense so far, and no offense vs upper caliber kids. For entertainment value alone, I’ll take a kid that loses trying to score points than someone who tries to win on ride time alone.

That's not a great look for Dean unfortunately. Beard looked a different class than Caffey. Dean couldn't finish great shots.
Think the brutally strong guys are giving him difficulty. Caffey and Brucki are exactly that….and where Max wrestling up a weight is gonna show. Ferrari will be a problem for him. Otherwise Dean has the goods.

MSU has improved. It showed against Purdue and Rutgers earlier. They have a pretty good group of guys who compete. I started watching them closer when Willie Miklus became an assistant coach there. I'm happy for them to be improving and there isn't a nicer young man than Miklus.
chandler has done a great job.

Good learning match for Dean. Relying too much on rideout. No concern he beats the hell out of Caffey next time
If memory serves, Beard attacked the other leg successfully.. Caffey had less balance over there (gonna have to fact check myself)
fact check... Beard had a double and then attacked the same leg but drove for 2...

Last edited:
Reactions: mcpat
Riding time clock was messed up, but not enough to cost Dean the match, by my count he had 3 more seconds and finished with 40 instead of 37, which doesnt change the match, he let some opportunities get away. Oh well.

Think the brutally strong guys are giving him difficulty. Caffey and Brucki are exactly that….and where Max wrestling up a weight is gonna show. Ferrari will be a problem for him. Otherwise Dean has the goods.
i don’t think of caffey as a power wrestler. he’s a former 184 too. he’s just unorthodox and a pain to score on. does a lot of weird stuff.

Dean has been unimpressive so far. Maybe I just didnt pay enough attention to him in the past, but I’ve seen very little offense so far, and no offense vs upper caliber kids. For entertainment value alone, I’ll take a kid that loses trying to score points than someone who tries to win on ride time alone.
Huh? 9 of his 13 matches have been bonus--but this is the Dean I rememeber seeing in previous years, except he's a small 197. His super savvy though--and can win most of the close ones.

Come on Mike Evans. You cannot be serious. He beat #6 and #8 his last two matches.

You must have missed the Norfleet match

Reactions: nerfstate
Max just didn't finish his chances, these things happen.
This match showed that being shorter with shorter arms made a huge difference with someone who can sprawl like Caffey. Bad matchup. That said...I think we were all confident Max was going to ride-out for the win until that well-timed lunger.

Max just didn't finish his chances, these things happen.
Caffey is a jumbo gumbie, making him difficult to take down. Aaron Brooks can attest to this.

Once it got into the 3rd period, Caffey was gassed and Dean's best chance was to keep Caffey down and avoid a restart. But Caffey got the restart, plus a couple mini lung breaks.

Reactions: mcpat and psualt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT