ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling LIVE THREAD: Penn State vs. Michigan 1/19

I knew eventually Kerk would beat Parris. I just thought he needed a match against him to prepare. I was so wrong! Wow. He should be Big 10 Wrestler of the week.

Reactions: PSUbluTX
That’s not correct.
Parris only had 1 TD and three escapes.
Kerk won 7-5 with 3 TDs & one escape.

Okay, so that's 2 TDs at 157, 2 at 197, and 1 at Hwt.

I can't remember where the 6th TD might have happened. Maybe they had only 5.

Reactions: diggerpup
An amazing night of tough, clutch performances by our guys. Incredibly impressive. The rest of college wrestling has been officially put on notice.

In a night of great performances, the standout sequence, for me, remains what AB did against Amine in that last exchange. That was other level wrestling. How on Earth he doesn’t give up two there and then by some insane wizardry gets the TD himself was unreal.

WHAT A NIGHT! WE ARE!!!

I wasn’t so far off on my 60-0 prediction.

Lot closer than some of ya’ll “conservative” and “rational” “fans” were…
I didn't see your 60-0 KYPSW entry. I will look for it. 😉

Sure, some fans were less optimistic. But I wouldn't equate that to either pessimism or conservatism.

An amazing night of tough, clutch performances by our guys. Incredibly impressive. The rest of college wrestling has been officially put on notice.

In a night of great performances, the standout sequence, for me, remains what AB did against Amine in that last exchange. That was other level wrestling. How on Earth he doesn’t give up two there and then by some insane wizardry gets the TD himself was unreal.

WHAT A NIGHT! WE ARE!!!
AB vs Amine was my preseason matchup that I was most looking forward to this year. I think they spent a lot of time this match feeling each other out, but when they finally engaged in an exchange it was awesome! AB’s defense was an absolute masterclass.

I cannot wait to see two more matches between these two elite competitors. If it’s up to me I’m ending the NCAA finals with this matchup. The only thing that would change my opinion on that is if Kerk shows he can actually make the match with Gable competitive. If that happens, I’m not sure you can end with anyone but Gable.

As good as Max is, Bo would have pinned Brucki already. Nothing on Max, just a realization how good Bo really was!
Bo was a wrestling savant. You can't compare him to any even good wrestler. He had no weaknesses and could have you on your back in seconds with a million crazy moves! He was just a marvel to watch. I remember him wrestling Myles from OSU and Myles would get BO in a bad position and Bo would just let his body go limp in Myles hands and you can see it scared the shit out him. Like what crazy move is Bo going to hit me with and he would just release him!! Hilarious to watch! Bo is up there with the all time greats!

He's still primarily a defensive wrestler - his offense against elite wrestlers is very average.
Oh yeah. He always turtles up when he is facing someone of equal skill. They are always boring 3-2 type matches. He is a great defensive wrestler. He would have been an unbeatable dynamo if he stayed with Cael and they worked on his offense. I think Vito takes him with ease. Needs to cut his hair. He is no Sampson! I think he is much better with head shaved.

Not a chance. So our guy…who was an out of shape due to blood clots…body looked nothing like his HS days and today….wrestled to 7th place Year with that mess, even scored a TD Vs Gable….and who just dominated the “can only be beaten by Gable” guy…..has no chance. Kerk was a shell of himself last year.

Guess we will see. You say no chance and I’ll go with he wins it when the NCAA championship is on the line.
Not sure he can win. That said, I don't know why anyone looks to last year. Kerk was a shell of himself. He's still not where he will be. He's a few weeks out from being sick. I believe if he could put on a bit more weight, it could be very interesting. I swear, last year made people forget Kerk was the #1 coming out of high school.

I cannot wait to see two more matches between these two elite competitors. If it’s up to me I’m ending the NCAA finals with this matchup. The only thing that would change my opinion on that is if Kerk shows he can actually make the match with Gable competitive. If that happens, I’m not sure you can end with anyone but Gable.
HWT will be the last match anyway. Steveson is the biggest star in the sport, and it's not close. Be prepared to see a lot of his Olympic Gold medal that weekend.

Also, while a Brooks-Amine match may be more dramatic, Steveson will bring more action and more scoring.

Anyone watch the Lee family video during intermission.

It's a good watch. The full version is on the B14 wrestling page

Reactions: creamery freak
HWT will be the last match anyway. Steveson is the biggest star in the sport, and it's not close. Be prepared to see a lot of his Olympic Gold medal that weekend.

Also, while a Brooks-Amine match may be more dramatic, Steveson will bring more action and more scoring.
I don’t disagree. Just imo, I’d go 184 rather than see a GS beat down. Maybe Kerk will make it interesting.

Okay, so after that HWT match I'm starting to wonder if the impossible is possible. Kerk is definitely the toughest matchup for Steveson and he's coached by the guys who have coached the only other guy to beat him.
Steveson is a different animal than he was 3 years ago. Stronger,faster and in better shape.
I'd be shocked if anyone beats him if he stays healthy.

Reactions: Hotshoe
wow, lots of thoughts after watching last night..
- after Hildebrandt got hit with a stall call early I thought there would be a barrage of them. Apparently not. Guess the ref saw the tone of the night in the very next match...
- Was happy the cylinder was used for RBYs TD but that was close
- I hate getting two takedowns and end up 4-4 after one
- AB and CStar must 'flex' their hips all the time in the room...would be fun to see them practice with each other
- Berge look solid but that weight class has a lot of studs for surviving close matches
- Compared to the other weight classes, we have a hole at 57
- Dean got taken down too easily for my liking
- Would like to see Hildebrandt display more O from his feet
- Interesting tOSU 125 match - they wrestled hard until the end
- Maybe the binder included how to peak in March and that is what Brands is doing
- Mystery with AD continues. Seriously, maybe he is trying to peak in March (Brands) and has a new approach
- Iowa is loaded with a lot of folks who have experience and big wins under their belts
- 7th year in college just doesn't sound right. Although we have elderly fellow on our roster (Mason)

- Dean got taken down too easily for my liking

Dean is good and will learn from this with our great coaching. Next time I don't think Brucki will take him down so easily, just as I don't think Bulsak will reverse him. Dean is wrestling tough against perceived bigger men.

Steveson is a different animal than he was 3 years ago. Stronger,faster and in better shape.
I'd be shocked if anyone beats him if he stays healthy.
True, also Steveson has had multiple noticeable jumps: after 2019 NCAAs, and again after 2021 NCAAs. At least.

He was a different animal at the Olympics than he was at nationals, and completely unrecognizable from his freshman year.

Reactions: diggerpup
I get it, the sample size was about 10 seconds vs a lower ranked kid but,..... I think we are getting the first glimpses of a Beau Bartlett where the switch may have flipped.

My view is he will continue to get much more aggressive as we move through the rest of January through Feb. On path to an AA, sure, I'll be go there.

Reactions: Creek Side
Didn't get to see this until today, was shooting Lock Haven v George Mason last night. I thought Hildebrandt looked solid but never really threatened Suriano, which is about what I'd expect. RBY and Nick Lee delivered what must be demoralizing losses to Ragusin and Mattin. I doubt either thought they were walking away with a W but I imagine they both figured they could keep it to a DEC.

At 157 through HWT, where Michigan has legit podium guys at every weight, the longer it stayed close, the more certain it looked that Penn State was going to get the clinching TD. They were all close matches on paper but with the exception of Dean, never felt in doubt. Even there, where Dean had to ride out in order to send it to SV, it Dean is so well-conditioned that it was plausible. If you're not beating Max Dean by at least 3 in the third, you're in trouble.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT