ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball LIVE THREAD: Penn State Basketball versus Minnesota Part II

mralph59

Staff Writer
Staff
Nov 1, 2021
State College, Pennsylvania
Forward Greg Lee is set to miss another game today against Minnesota, per a report from Jon Rothstein. Micah Shrewsberry said on Monday that Lee was day-to-day, but it's still not clear when the big man will return to the court.

Minny looks lost. Not sure how we lose to them on the road all the time. We should win this by 25.

“ Penn state is a tough team now.” Big Ten network.
They play defense- when did you ever hear that about predecessor teams.

I didn't get to listen to much, so I really can't comment on the game itself, but congratulations on the win!

Reactions: psu00
Chambers had them playing good d, fyi. That's what #ATTITUDE was about
Wide open shoots, sloping switching etc. etc.. Did you get the opposing team’s fg% against us. As I recall, ugly. Toss in poor rebounding.
This team is nothing like those imo.

Defensively they are better, especially Lundy. He was below avg over the last two years, he is now good to very good. Pats teams did not has as effective of game plans (doubling post guys when they shouldnt have and vice versa) but were more active to get in passing lanes and steals. Pace has a lot to do with the defensive numbers but defenders are doing a better job of closing out on shooters and with high pick and roll compared to years past.

Reactions: Ski
If you feel that way, We were watching different teams.
Our Adjusted Defensive Efficiency in Chambers last 3 seasons...
2020 - 23rd
2019 - 27th
2018 - 19th

This season - 43rd

We were playing great defense under Chambers (some of it was obviously personnel, as we had guys like Wheeler, Reaves, and Watkins who were difference makers at the defensive end). But I'm perplexed how someone could miss how good we've been defensively for a while.

Our Adjusted Defensive Efficiency in Chambers last 3 seasons...
2020 - 23rd
2019 - 27th
2018 - 19th

This season - 43rd

We were playing great defense under Chambers (some of it was obviously personnel, as we had guys like Wheeler, Reaves, and Watkins who were difference makers at the defensive end). But I'm perplexed how someone could miss how good we've been defensively for a while.
Those teams had the guys you mentioned who created lots of steals as well as a rim protector in watkins. This team plays better team defense, has less lapses and has yet to have a game with a poor defensive game plan (maybe you could argue at minn, but I say it was just bad luck). PC had some, let's say 'interesting ' defensive plans at time, like doubling a non scoring post guy with the wing leaving the best shooter for an easy 3.

Those teams had the guys you mentioned who created lots of steals as well as a rim protector in watkins. This team plays better team defense, has less lapses and has yet to have a game with a poor defensive game plan (maybe you could argue at minn, but I say it was just bad luck).
I thought our game plan was fine at Minnesota...we were forcing them to shoot long 2's and some of their non-shooters were making 3's. I thought some of our game plans were poor earlier in the season with continually letting 4's and 5's get open 3's when they were guys that could make them (and the refusal to play any zone in those games), but we've been doing a lot better job lately defending high screens. Though our offense would be helped by some more aggression at the defensive end, since we score so little in transition. We just have a different strategy now of staying in position and not overplaying anything...currently 352nd in the country (out of 358) in creating turnovers.

I was never a fan of our offense under Pat, but our defense was great in playing to our strengths. We used the defense to set-up offense, got tons of steals that fed our offense, etc. The numbers don't lie, and we had some tremendous defensive teams in his last several seasons (while playing to the strengths of our personnel).

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT