ADVERTISEMENT

Listen to Phil Grosz's Saturday show "Phil's Eake on Penn State Football" on the Pa. Sports Network 10 to 11 AM Saturday morning.

BWI PHIL GROSZ

May 29, 2001
Join BWI Publisher Phil Grosz with host Jed Donahue for "Phil's Take on Penn State Football" on the Pa. Sports Network live from the network's new home studio in Oil City. Phil will be on the show from 10 to 11 AM Saturday morning by phone hookup. Audio files of the show should be posted here in the Lions Den sometime Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning.

Phil and Jed will concentrate at the beginning of the show talking about who they are hearing might be the three leading candidates to become the new head basketball coach at Penn State. You might be surprised and excited who those leading candidates might be. Also Phil and Jed will look at Penn State football recruiting for the class of 2022, Big Ten football recruiting for the class of 2022 and look ahead to Penn State's 2022 spring practice session. Plus, answer questions from the listeners of the show.

You can contact Phil and ask him a question by texting the show at 717-348-2369. The new 800-line still has not been installed by Comcast. Until then just text your question for Phil at 717-348-2369 and Phil and Jed will be able to answer any questions you might have about the Penn State football program. On the past five Saturday's shows Phil has answered 35 questions from callers about the Penn State football program with 26 of those questions coming from Lions Den members.

Jed Donahue will be hosting the show from 8 AM until 12-noon.

To listen to the show logon to the Fox Sports Listen Live Stream link at http://ilovemix96 listed directly below:

Link-http://ilovemix96.com

“Phil and Jed will concentrate at the beginning of the show talking about who they are hearing might be the three leading candidates to become the new head basketball coach at Penn State. You might be surprised and excited who those leading candidates might be.”

Might. Sounds like the lists we make here.

Micah Strewsberry, Purdue Assistant. Jed pissed that PSU has not said why Chambers was fired. Jed indicates he knows and will talk in coming weeks if PSU doesn't.

Reactions: LionLen
“Phil and Jed will concentrate at the beginning of the show talking about who they are hearing might be the three leading candidates to become the new head basketball coach at Penn State. You might be surprised and excited who those leading candidates might be.”

Might. Sounds like the lists we make here.

Wow! Get along Jed Gave Penn State two weeks to come clean on the reasons for the firing of Pat Chambers, or he promises to report on the facts that he has learned.

Question for the AKB....Just listened to the show from Fox Sports with Phil and Jed. Loved it! For the last few weeks I have been listening on a radio in my house or in my truck times... PSU sports show on ESPN in NEPA. Some guy named Ross who played at PSU and the NFL comes on and answers a ton of questions. What show is this? Obviously different than Jed and Phil. Both shows are great, I wish they were on at different times.

Question for the AKB....Just listened to the show from Fox Sports with Phil and Jed. Loved it! For the last few weeks I have been listening on a radio in my house or in my truck times... PSU sports show on ESPN in NEPA. Some guy named Ross who played at PSU and the NFL comes on and answers a ton of questions. What show is this? Obviously different than Jed and Phil. Both shows are great, I wish they were on at different times.

You might be talking about the Keystone Sports Network from the guys at Penn Live.

Ross Tucker is their go to guy. He is from Berks County and grew up a Penn State fan, unfortunately he matured late and was not highly rated. He landed on his feet and ended up being a starting OL at Princeton. Not bad. He went on to play in the NFL at New England and Dallas. Ross is now a top color announcer for both college and pro football, he has a strong web presence, and is sought out as a guest on a number of sports radio stations. He can often be heard on WIP in Philly.

Unfortunately the program is hindered by a huge number of commercials. Each 12 minute segment typically has two minutes of spots at the beginning and again at the end.

Another annoyance is the host. He is a Penn State fan, but he talks too much and answers His own questions. Why, I don’t know? He has two Penn Live correspondents In each episode along with Tucker, but he interjects too often and with the advertising 1/3 of the air time is wasted.

Reactions: bkmtnittany1

You’re thinking of the Keystone Sports Network podcast/show. Great show, comes on 3x per week....btw that Ross is Ross Tucker. Never went to PSU but grew up a huge fan.

But, what was Phil's "eake" on Penn State football?

Phil noted there have been an unusually high number of early commitments. He expects that June and July will be big months for commitments. The moving target that is the NCAA no contact period is a huge factor.

phil thinks no fans at BW game, only family. He also projects a spring practice starting a month later than usual.

He seemed upbeat on the Sanders kid.

Last edited:
Reactions: grinagrin
But, what was Phil's "eake" on Penn State football?
Not worried about safety coach search. Then talk about some recruits I never heard of. Thinks visits will be allowed after Memorial Day. Spring game will happen, but not as normal. Kuntz just got lost in a numbers game and TE is still loaded.

A quick look at Penn State podcasts will show you that one is far above the others. and more football nerdy with more facts than opinions and glib talk.

Micah Strewsberry, Purdue Assistant. Jed pissed that PSU has not said why Chambers was fired. Jed indicates he knows and will talk in coming weeks if PSU doesn't.
Wouldn't be against strewsberry. Not an east coast guy but Purdue always is competitive and finds bigs. NBA experience with the celtics helps too.
Most of their team is home grown from Indiana but I think he can get some in the dmv as well as keeping his hometown connections

Wouldn't be against strewsberry. Not an east coast guy but Purdue always is competitive and finds bigs. NBA experience with the celtics helps too.
Most of their team is home grown from Indiana but I think he can get some in the dmv as well as keeping his hometown connections
Get the Purdue guy! Other 2 names were Seth Greenberg and the current HC at St. Bonaventure, Schmidt? Not interested...put out the coin and get Strewsberry....coached at Butler under Stevens and was highly regarded. Is a recruiting machine...

You might be talking about the Keystone Sports Network from the guys at Penn Live.

Ross Tucker is their go to guy. He is from Berks County and grew up a Penn State fan, unfortunately he matured late and was not highly rated. He landed on his feet and ended up being a starting OL at Princeton. Not bad. He went on to play in the NFL at New England and Dallas. Ross is now a top color announcer for both college and pro football, he has a strong web presence, and is sought out as a guest on a number of sports radio stations. He can often be heard on WIP in Philly.

Unfortunately the program is hindered by a huge number of commercials. Each 12 minute segment typically has two minutes of spots at the beginning and again at the end.

Another annoyance is the host. He is a Penn State fan, but he talks too much and answers His own questions. Why, I don’t know? He has two Penn Live correspondents In each episode along with Tucker, but he interjects too often and with the advertising 1/3 of the air time is wasted.
You’re thinking of the Keystone Sports Network podcast/show. Great show, comes on 3x per week....btw that Ross is Ross Tucker. Never went to PSU but grew up a huge fan.
Thanks a bunch guys, appreciate it.

Get the Purdue guy! Other 2 names were Seth Greenberg and the current HC at St. Bonaventure, Schmidt? Not interested...put out the coin and get Strewsberry....coached at Butler under Stevens and was highly regarded. Is a recruiting machine...

Yep, get a top recruiter.

Just as Franklin reminded everyone when he was hired, it's a lot easier to win games when you have better players...... ;)

I'm hoping the three that you mentioned or not the only three that are being considered right now. If they are then you are right and strewsberry the only logical choice.

Even if you can't necessarily bring in the same kind of guys he was getting from Indianapolis he should be able to bring in at least the same caliber of kids that Chambers was getting from Philadelphia.

Phil noted there have been an unusually high number of early commitments. He expects that June and July will be big months for commitments. The moving target that is the NCAA no contact period is a huge factor.

phil thinks no fans at BW game, only family. He also projects a spring practice starting a month later than usual.

He seemed upbeat on the Sanders kid.
I must be drawing a blank. Who is this Sanders kid you mention?

Yep, get a top recruiter.

Just as Franklin reminded everyone when he was hired, it's a lot easier to win games when you have better players...... ;)
It's not the x's and o's...it's the Jimmy's and the Joe's! I loved to get into chats with HS coaches when I was coaching. All these guys would bloviate over how great a coach Phil Jackson was...the "zen meister!" They would rave about the Triangle offense that Tex Winter taught him. LMAO...That triangle worked great with Jordan and Pippen! Then, ong...it worked great again with Kobe and Shaq! Put Little Johnny and Fat -Ass Freddie in that offense and see how it works! Gimme players everyday of the week...

I'm hoping the three that you mentioned or not the only three that are being considered right now. If they are then you are right and strewsberry the only logical choice.

Even if you can't necessarily bring in the same kind of guys he was getting from Indianapolis he should be able to bring in at least the same caliber of kids that Chambers was getting from Philadelphia.
Only 3 mentioned on the show today....I agree with you. Greenberg is a decent coach, but would never get good enough talent to PSU.

It's not the x's and o's...it's the Jimmy's and the Joe's! I loved to get into chats with HS coaches when I was coaching. All these guys would bloviate over how great a coach Phil Jackson was...the "zen meister!" They would rave about the Triangle offense that Tex Winter taught him. LMAO...That triangle worked great with Jordan and Pippen! Then, ong...it worked great again with Kobe and Shaq! Put Little Johnny and Fat -Ass Freddie in that offense and see how it works! Gimme players everyday of the week...
This reminds me of a friend of mine who I used to coach against at a previous High School. we would go out after the game and have a few beers and he would talk about all the great offensive or defensive sets he ran. He always thought that him running the pack line defense like Virginia and Kentucky's dribble-drive offense was going to make his team beat more talented teams. The problem with that was he spent so much time his practices running offensive and defensive sets that he never did individual work with his kids. Our kids were from the same basic community but I would spend a quarter of my practice everyday on skill development and he would spend less than 10 minutes.

By the end of the year everyone could tell that my players were significantly better than they were at the beginning while his group was exactly the same ability in February as they were in December.
Oh and he didn't really know what he was doing with that pack line or dribble-drive stuff anyway.

This reminds me of a friend of mine who I used to coach against at a previous High School. we would go out after the game and have a few beers and he would talk about all the great offensive or defensive sets he ran. He always thought that him running the pack line defense like Virginia and Kentucky's dribble-drive offense was going to make his team beat more talented teams. The problem with that was he spent so much time his practices running offensive and defensive sets that he never did individual work with his kids. Our kids were from the same basic community but I would spend a quarter of my practice everyday on skill development and he would spend less than 10 minutes.

By the end of the year everyone could tell that my players were significantly better than they were at the beginning while his group was exactly the same ability in February as they were in December.
Oh and he didn't really know what he was doing with that pack line or dribble-drive stuff anyway.
One of my former players took a HS job and asked me for help, watch a few of his practices etc....The DDO was the rage and he was implementing it with his squad. After about 3 weeks he grew frustrated with all the turnovers and poor shots, he asked me why this thing wasn't working out. I said because it's called "Dribble-drive" and you have 3 guys on the floor all the time who can't dribble! Funny how the O looks good at UK with 5 NBA dudes on the floor.

Reactions: bison13
Only 3 mentioned on the show today....I agree with you. Greenberg is a decent coach, but would never get good enough talent to PSU.

If anyone here was listening to Full Ride this week, Steve Lappas was on and mentioned the reality of PSU BB. He sent PSU FB is a powerhouse and has the tradition and facilities, BB not so much. When young coaches ask him about the position there, say from a mid major, tells them its not a destination job. Maybe go in get lucky and move on when the opportunity arises.

My buddy was let go after coaching for 17 years. Bitchy parents was main reason. Our AD actually interviewed each player. One of common complaints was that the players felt they should scrimmage more and do less drills. SMH

My buddy was let go after coaching for 17 years. Bitchy parents was main reason. Our AD actually interviewed each player. One of common complaints was that the players felt they should scrimmage more and do less drills. SMH
That's terrible. Especially by the ad who should know better. I actually had something just as bad if not worse happen to me. I was an assistant coach for a few years and then the head coach developed some health issues. He tried to coach but would regularly miss a few games so after a couple years of this we became co-head coaches. ad didn't want to ask him to resign and neither did I because he was a good guy. He was only able to make about half the practices and still made most of the games but I was doing 95% of the work.
This goes on for a few years when he finally decides that he's going to retire. This situation lasted for approximately 8 years and during those eight years where we were co-coaches we won five County championships and lost in the state championship 1 year and had a dozen kids play in college.
When it's announced that he's retiring the principal says to me that he has to open up the position and the ad tells him that they don't really have to because we are Co head coaches. The principal comes back and says to us "well I've heard from a few players on the team and ones that you've cut that you really get on the kids about their grades". I told him that I did and that I regularly sat kids who I got bad reports on from their teachers and that all of the college basketball players that we had during that time should be the people he asks about what my stance on academics did for them. Principal came back and said he didn't care he was just going by what the "community" wanted which was someone who "let the kids play".
When they interviewed candidates the athletic director went back to the principal and told him that I was the best candidate for the job but the principal went on his own and hired a guy from the "community". In the 7 years since I've quit coaching there they've been a successful program mostly relying on the feeder program that we had but they have only had one player go on to play at college. Three times they've had the county player of the year and none of those kids could even last a semester at Juco.

• Sad
Reactions: Roar More
ADVERTISEMENT