ADVERTISEMENT

List of Penn State personnel who should have walked home last night.

1. McSorley for the punt.

2. Barkley on principle.

3. Equipment manager for choosing the wrong shoes.

4. Moorhead for controlling time of possession.

5. Franklin for being excited afterwards. (iowa is just like Georgia State, Akron, North Penn, etc.)

:confused:
I'm not sure how you fail to monitor and adjust such a basic thing as footing. We learned in the press conference 2 weeks ago that the players sleep and stress levels are monitored via a computer system. Maybe they need another assistant AD for player footwear.

Andrew Nelson. I feel bad for him. He's had a tough road with injuries, and then he got manhandled by iowa's 6'7" defensive end last night.

Was amazing with Fries in there how much the Oline settled down and that seemed to calm Trace down and keep his eyes down field and progressions rather than look for Dline guys flying at him

Reactions: Obliviax
I'm not sure how you fail to monitor and adjust such a basic thing as footing. We learned in the press conference 2 weeks ago that the players sleep and stress levels are monitored via a computer system. Maybe they need another assistant AD for player footwear.

The airlines limit carry-ons and charge for checked baggage. Maybe the players could each only pack one pair of shoes.

;)

Same equipment manager as we've always had. Most loved man probably in the program.

Was amazing with Fries in there how much the Oline settled down and that seemed to calm Trace down and keep his eyes down field and progressions rather than look for Dline guys flying at him
Well, don't forget Freis is the third string RT. Not having our 6' 7' RT hurt us a lot.

Reactions: bwifan

2. Barkley on principle.

5. Franklin for being excited afterwards. (iowa is just like Georgia State, Akron, North Penn, etc.)

I'm not sure different shoes would have made a difference. That was field turf, you can't just get longer cleats and make it better.

LdN

Iowa's new field turf, frankly, is horrible. I've seen a ton of games played on that stuff this year, and there were clouds of black pellets on every cut from both teams, like the comic character "Pig Pen". It was terrible.

Reactions: JJTopp99
Equipment gets put in a tractor trailer and driven to the games. So-no.

12572568-psu-football-hauler.jpg

I'm not sure different shoes would have made a difference. That was field turf, you can't just get longer cleats and make it better.

LdN

Iowa's new field turf, frankly, is horrible. I've seen a ton of games played on that stuff this year, and there were clouds of black pellets on every cut from both teams, like the comic character "Pig Pen". It was terrible.

I am no turf expert, but I was surprised by how big a cloud of pellets came up when a player planted last night. Strange.

I am no turf expert, but I was surprised by how big a cloud of pellets came up when a player planted last night. Strange.

Home field advantage. Likely partially intentional and they are used to that surface.
Nothing wrong with it, but clearly worked against us.

LdN

2. Barkley on principle.

Every BWI poster talking a bunch of dumb sh*t in the game thread, myself included (though for the love of God, can we just line Barkley up in the I when needed??). I missed the punt from McSorley - anyone have a link? I don't have a big problem with that - put up an assload of yardage only to have to fight and scrape to win on the last play. I'm sure these guys were all kinds of frustrated. I'd rather not see it at all, but it's not spitting on the logo or anything. Give these guys a break.

Every BWI poster talking a bunch of dumb sh*t in the game thread, myself included (though for the love of God, can we just line Barkley up in the I when needed??). I missed the punt from McSorley - anyone have a link? I don't have a big problem with that - put up an assload of yardage only to have to fight and scrape to win on the last play. I'm sure these guys were all kinds of frustrated. I'd rather not see it at all, but it's not spitting on the logo or anything. Give these guys a break.

I don't but he took the ball and punted it after the TD but before the PAT (or whatever). He thought the game was over as there was no time on the clock. Regardless, not the worst thing, but bush league and we got 15 yards for it.

I didn't see what people are talking about with Ferentz. What did he do?

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I don't but he took the ball and punted it after the TD but before the PAT (or whatever). He thought the game was over as there was no time on the clock. Regardless, not the worst thing, but bush league and we got 15 yards for it.

Drive by hand shake

The high school fields my son's school played on that had turf were better than that field.

To clarify about McSorley's punt, there was no penalty. The penalty after the touchdown was for the player/crowd interaction afterward. The penalty backed up the PAT try which was run in the victory formation. McSorley took a knee, the game was then over, and he kicked the ball. He obviously did it out of combination of frustration and relief. Those who took it as a sign of disrespect need to get a life.

In the late 80's, Raghib Ishmail was at Meyers HS and they came out to play Dallas in the middle of the season. When Meyers got off the bus, they looked at the field and the grass was at least 6 inches tall, it had not been cut in several weeks. They played, Meyers lost, and the Rocket didn't do too much. Home field advantage.

In the late 80's, Raghib Ishmail was at Meyers HS and they came out to play Dallas in the middle of the season. When Meyers got off the bus, they looked at the field and the grass was at least 6 inches tall, it had not been cut in several weeks. They played, Meyers lost, and the Rocket didn't do too much. Home field advantage.

I've head of stuff like that happening in high school, not in college.

Franklin for being excited afterwards. (iowa is just like Georgia State, Akron, North Penn, etc.)
Am I the only one who misinterpreted his comment? It seemed to me when I heard his comment that he felt that all OOC wins were important but equivalent; i.e., Akron = Pitt = Georgia State. I never got the impression that he felt that conference wins were on that level. I assumed that he thought Big Ten games were more important. I would think that repeating as conference champion would be one of his team's goals. It won't surprise me if Penn State beats Indiana, regardless of score, he equates that win with Iowa but it would surprise me if he thinks that all wins are the same. Maybe it's just me.

I have a friend with a contact in the equipment staff who has assured him that THEY WILL be sewing coattails into #26’s jersey for the rest of the season.

This might be the turf equivalent of letting the grass grow higher to mitigate teams with greater team speed.

that is a shame. New field turf should not have the black pellet issue, even my local high school got new field turf installed this summer that does not have the black pellet issue

that is a shame. New field turf should not have the black pellet issue, even my local high school got new field turf installed this summer that does not have the black pellet issue

if the turf has gotten heavy rain, i think that is what will happen. I think they are actually hurting for rain out there, so that doesnt seem to be the issue. do you have to "water" this turf to keep a certain moisture level?

the Iowa players seemed to handle this much better. we were falling all over the place and tripping on our shadow.

I was on that Dallas team. We held him to 27 rushing yards and it was great. It also rained a lot that week, our guy tried mowing the field but the tractor was getting stuck. S couple of us had to push the tractor off the field as to not damage the field.

Yes the high grass did help reduce the Ishmails speed. Don't forget we had to stop 2 of those buggers.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
I've head of stuff like that happening in high school, not in college.
Miami at New England, late 70's early 80's, game played in a blizzard. Late in the scoreless game, the Patriots line up to attempt a FG. Ron Meyer, the Patriots coach at the time, spots a guy on a ATV with a snow plow, instructs him to get the plow out there and clear a spot for the holder. He runs the plow out, clears the spot, New England kicks the field goal and upsets the Dolphins 3-0. Shula went ballistic, but the result stood.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Miami at New England, late 70's early 80's, game played in a blizzard. Late in the scoreless game, the Patriots line up to attempt a FG. Ron Meyer, the Patriots coach at the time, spots a guy on a ATV with a snow plow, instructs him to get the plow out there and clear a spot for the holder. He runs the plow out, clears the spot, New England kicks the field goal and upsets the Dolphins 3-0. Shula went ballistic, but the result stood.

ADVERTISEMENT