ADVERTISEMENT

Lions won't solve rushing problem alone

Marylovesthelions

Sep 29, 2008
Mt Dora FL
I suggest they bring in someone like Mike Munchak, a proven builder of effective OL talent. He could be a coach or a highly paid advisor like AIabana has on staff. After 9 years of futility, Franklin needs to look outside his staff. He has yet to develop a running attack that can run the ball when you need to.
He must be willing to question his entire offensive strategy. Business as usual will never beat OSU and UM.

Trautwein deserves more time whether people like it or not.

Also, this season and last really are the only two that have been pretty bad. Previous 3-4 seasons we were about 175 yds + avg per game.
Franklin also just completed his 8th season to be accurate.

Reactions: N&B4PSU

Also, this season and last really are the only two that have been pretty bad. Previous 3-4 seasons we were about 175 yds + avg per game.
We lost to OSU twice and others because even with Barkley, we could not run the ball and protected in the 4th quarter. Without McSorley, this offense has been far below championship quality.

We lost to OSU twice and others because even with Barkley, we could not run the ball and protected in the 4th quarter. Without McSorley, this offense has been far below championship quality.
We lost to them because a myriad of items, not just running game as you imply.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I suggest they bring in someone like Mike Munchak, a proven builder of effective OL talent. He could be a coach or a highly paid advisor like AIabana has on staff. After 9 years of futility, Franklin needs to look outside his staff. He has yet to develop a running attack that can run the ball when you need to.
He must be willing to question his entire offensive strategy. Business as usual will never beat OSU and UM.
I love the idea of Munchak coming on board but he's in Denver for family reasons as he has grandkids there. But the paid advisors route is a great way to go.

Mary I agree. Good linemen are not necessarily predicted by *****'s. We have had some highly rated lineman and look at what we have got. Again look at what other teams do with so called less talent.
Bring him in as a consultant during spring practice. Send him practice and game film and pay for his advice. A good manager must accept when they are unable to improve a probIem over 8 years and get help. He is the one constant. It hurts to say because I know he Is great for the orogram.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
How about OSU 2017 when we were on the 7 YL first down, Three RPO's later and we were still on the 7 YL, we didn't gain an inch. We got stuffed on every play. Kicked the FG and lost the game. Minny game, 2016, Barkley had -12 yards rushing the entire second half, the best RB in CFB!

I'm not sure we can agree on anything if we cannot agree that the offensive line play has been really subpar.

How about OSU 2017 when we were on the 7 YL first down, Three RPO's later and we were still on the 7 YL, we didn't gain an inch. We got stuffed on every play. Kicked the FG and lost the game. Minny game, 2016, Barkley had -12 yards rushing the entire second half, the best RB in CFB!
I didn’t say OL hasn’t been blah. Running game certainly would have helped in both of those games. However it was only one key factor in why we lost those games, not the only one.

I didn’t say OL hasn’t been blah. Running game certainly would have helped in both of those games. However it was only one key factor in why we lost those games, not the only one.
You are correct when you say "key factor." McSorley ran for his life for 3 years against OSU.

Trautwein came here with a pretty good resume. So did Limegrover. They didn't all of a sudden forget how to coach. There are multiple factors at work here with the players being #1. Moorhead's system was terrible for running the ball. We just had a mega-talent in Barkley. Not sure about the current system.

Reactions: The Kid Twist
Bring him in as a consultant during spring practice. Send him practice and game film and pay for his advice. A good manager must accept when they are unable to improve a probIem over 8 years and get help. He is the one constant. It hurts to say because I know he Is great for the orogram.

Sure if we want to more to a more pro style offense. If we keep running at heavy RPO offense, Munchak isn't going to help.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
Sure if we want to more to a more pro style offense. If we keep running at heavy RPO offense, Munchak isn't going to help.
How do you know?? Have you sat in a film room with him? I would be willing to bet he's a little more familiar with the RPO blocking schemes and requirements than you realize. And has a tad bit more experience than a 2 years OL coach at BC. Your actually saying Traut would help the OL more than Munchak???

Last edited:
Your right their are more reasons, then running the ball poorly, that resulted in those losses. But you must be able to run the ball in the 4th Qtr to protect your lead....all elite teams can do it. In most of those losses we couldn't do it.

I love Saquon, will always love his athleticism but sometimes he would hit the hole and sometimes he thought he could always out-run edge defenders, which wouldn't happen, and he'd lose 2-3 yards. He's still doing that with the NY Giants. He will always be my favorite for his unreal highlight reel moves but he also ran some head-scratchers.

Reactions: SR108
I think part of the problem is how deep in the backfield we hand the ball off it seems like teams just attack the area and are successful.I think if you don’t have a quarterback willing to run the ball 15 plays or more a game your run game is in trouble.

Reactions: Texas Lion
Many times we handed to ball of on the RPO to Saquan at the LOS; the OSU LB's were already in our backfield awaiting the tackle for loss. We haven't been able to block LB's for year, let alone the DL in front of us.

Agree, Its not just technique, its matching appropriate blocking schemes to the offensive playbook. Just like the players, Trautwein has had two Offensive coordinators in two years.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT