ADVERTISEMENT

LionJim...

Yes, stunned at the news.

Maryam Mirzakhani, the first woman to receive the prestigious Fields Medal for mathematics, has died in the US.

The 40-year-old Iranian, a professor at Stanford University, had breast cancer which had spread to her bones.

Nicknamed the "Nobel Prize for Mathematics", the Fields Medal is only awarded every four years to between two and four mathematicians under 40.

It was given to Prof Mirzakhani in 2014 for her work on complex geometry and dynamical systems.

Yes, stunned at the news.

Maryam Mirzakhani, the first woman to receive the prestigious Fields Medal for mathematics, has died in the US.

The 40-year-old Iranian, a professor at Stanford University, had breast cancer which had spread to her bones.

Nicknamed the "Nobel Prize for Mathematics", the Fields Medal is only awarded every four years to between two and four mathematicians under 40.

It was given to Prof Mirzakhani in 2014 for her work on complex geometry and dynamical systems.
Duh!! Anybody that watched Good Will Hunting knew that!!!!!

quote-every-culture-has-contributed-to-maths-just-as-it-has-contributed-to-literature-it-s-daniel-tammet-29-3-0310.jpg

I just googled Daniel Tammet. He's not a mathematician, but has been able to recite the decimal expansion of pi to over 22,000 digits; this stunt took him over five hours. Wow, impressive, but I completely don't see the point.
He also attributes district colors and personalities to the natural numbers. Huh.

Some people, Richard Feynman was one, see formulas and numbers in color. There's a name for that talent, which I don't recall at the moment, probably because I don't have it.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
He also attributes district colors and personalities to the natural numbers. Huh.

Some people, Richard Feynman was one, see formulas and numbers in color. There's a name for that talent, which I don't recall at the moment, probably because I don't have it.
Synesthesia. It was a literary topic during the Romantic Movement. It's also a central theme in Nobokov's "The Gift."

Reactions: FHSPSU67

You may be thinking of the term "idiot savant." Where a person has extraordinary talent with no training in the field.

I just googled Daniel Tammet. He's not a mathematician, but has been able to recite the decimal expansion of pi to over 22,000 digits; this stunt took him over five hours. Wow, impressive, but I completely don't see the point.
He should try to do it in 3.14 hours.;)

Reactions: LionJim
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT