ADVERTISEMENT

Link: D.J. Newbill's backstory

Aug 31, 2005
State College
bwi.rivals.com
So every year I do a story in Town & Gown's basketball season preview magazine, usually about a player or to preview the season. It's generally for the niche Penn State hoops fan, so it doesn't generally generate a ton of interest, especially without being posted online.

However, a few years ago, I sat down with D.J. Newbill the summer after his redshirt season at Penn State. The story was more or less supposed to offer a little more background on a kid who had been all freshman in his first year at Southern Miss, but not much else had been written about.

What I ended up with was a story about his background and influences that I am still very proud to have written. The interview took place while his mom was sick, and he didn't really indicate just how serious her situation was, so I was pretty devastated for him to learn a week or two after we sat down that she had passed away.

Anyway, the story has now been posted online and for those interested in reading it, it should shed some light on who this guy is and what he's about. And by extension just knowing who he is now and what he represents and how hard he's worked, to look back at it in today's context is just a true testament to him, Pat Chambers and the entire Penn State basketball program.

Link

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News