ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln Riley to USC

Hard to interpret Riley’s move as anything other than him being a chicken shit as it relates to the sec. “New challenges” indeed. the pac is the only other defense optional alternative for him.

OU better like the sec’s money, because their days of winning football are gonna be over in short order.
Hard to come up with another rational explanation.

Also, I don't really understand the expectations and view of USC as an historically elite program and destination job. Outside of Petey's ethically questionable stint, USC has been decidedly average in a decidedly average conference

My guess is Caleb Williams hits the portal and Rattler will again be the starter.
The thing about Williams is that he and his father were very very purposeful in picking a place that developed QB's. It would not surprise me at all if they did hit the portal, though I'd think that given his likely short college career, they'll be weighing the upside of a transfer against the downside of short term disruption

Reactions: Texas Lion
The thing about Williams is that he and his father were very very purposeful in picking a place that developed QB's. It would not surprise me at all if they did hit the portal, though I'd think that given his likely short college career, they'll be weighing the upside of a transfer against the downside of short term disruption
Doubt he moves as he is now the starter. And Riley didn’t do it alone. Who was the OC? QB coach? They both spend much more time with the QBs than the head coach.

Well, if you are a player that likes Orielly’s system....and you choice is live in Oklahoma for three or four years vs Southern California ......what would be your choice?
My choice would be Happy Valley but that is not an option in your scenario! To me it is crazy that USC and Miami are not consistent powers with beautiful weather and states loaded with high school talent. You would think coaches and players would flock to those schools.

I think career wise, Riley made a great move. He was already recruiting Cali well. Now he's in the prime job to do so.

PAC-12 is definitely easier than SEC path to the playoff,but until he's able to compliment his passing with a running game and better defense we've seen this story before.

However, losing at USC isn't going to end his career. Losing in the SEC seems to carry further.
You couldn’t be more right. This is a smart move by Riley. To win a National Championship you have to get into the Invitational. What happens there only happens if you ARE there. Adding Texas and OU to the SEC makes it harder on everyone in the SEC….not easier. At USC and his success with QB’s….he’s sitting in a hotbed.

Look no further than wrestling to make the point. Cael KNEW the pathway to a National Championship was easier at PSU in the talent rich state and nearby NJ/NY. He even mentioned this pathway when he arrived. He knew, despite the rich history at Iowa State, that his competition for talent was a battle against the in-state rivals including UNI, and in conference OkState.

Bold move for Cael to leave his alma mater. But obvious if you want to win it all.
Bold move for Lincoln, but also obvious if you want to win it all.
Same could be said of Franklin if he had left….pathway at USC is easier than navigating the BIG10 East.

I wouldn’t call him overrated. He’s developed some good QBs. However, the PAC12 is a hell of a lot easier than the SEC. Much better fit for him.

He's a perfect fit for USC between how well he already recruits the area and his rep as the qb whisperer and how USC thinks of itself as QBU. I'd say his floor is what he accomplished at OU. Big dog status in a conference that lacks another big dog. The sky depends on what the landscape looks like but you gotta be in it to win it, and I'd be surprised if they dont have multiple appearances over the next decade. Lots of parity this year. Would be great if it stays this way moving forward.

Its not realistic for them to expect playoff appearances >50% of the time in the SEC although if they go with the pod system I expect the sec to manipulate schedules as they currently do so you won't see a season where OU plays Bama, UGA and LSU on the same schedule, especially if they stay at 8 games.

He's a perfect fit for USC between how well he already recruits the area and his rep as the qb whisperer and how USC thinks of itself as QBU. I'd say his floor is what he accomplished at OU. Big dog status in a conference that lacks another big dog. The sky depends on what the landscape looks like but you gotta be in it to win it, and I'd be surprised if they dont have multiple appearances over the next decade. Lots of parity this year. Would be great if it stays this way moving forward.

Its not realistic for them to expect playoff appearances >50% of the time in the SEC although if they go with the pod system I expect the sec to manipulate schedules as they currently do so you won't see a season where OU plays Bama, UGA and LSU on the same schedule, especially if they stay at 8 games.

OUs SEC path to the playoff runs through the ccg. That means winning enough to get to the game and then beating whomever makes it. While they may not have to face them all, the schedule isn't going to be easier than the Big 12. And as this year showed, when the other Big 12 teams are good OU can lose with an empirically talented roster.

Where does the OU talent rank compared to the SEC brethren? What were Baylor, ISU, and OK States average class ranking?

I think it is funny. OU and Texas leaving the Big 12 may have backfired and now OU is Screwed. Pretty happy day.
The factors involved in that level of decision making do not keeping a specific coach there forever. He is not the first good Oklahoma coach and he won’t be the last.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT